[NEohioPAL]Cain Park cabarets this week

Ksenia ksenia at clvhts.com
Tue Jun 22 11:26:39 PDT 2004

--MS_Mac_OE_3170759199_1104030_MIME_Part

ALMA CABARET SERIES CONTINUES
at CAIN PARK

CLEVELAND HEIGHTS, OH - Cain Park=B9s 2004 Alma Cabaret series continues with
performances by the John Richmond Swingtet on June 23 and Kassaba on June
24.  All Cabaret performances are held in the Alma Theatre and begin
promptly at 7:30 p.m.

The John Richmond Swinget will present =B3Celebrating Duke Ellington,=B2 an
evening filled with the group=B9s renditions of Ellington masterpieces such a=
=B3Black Beauty,=B2 =B3Mood Indigo,=B2 =B3Don=B9t Get Around Much Anymore,=B2 =B3Take the
=8CA=B9 Train=B2 and =B3Satin Doll,=B2 among others.  The show will also include
stunning film clips of Ellington from the late 1920s through the 1960s and =
few Ellington surprises.  Swingtet leader John Richmond heard Ellington
perform live many times and even talked with =B3The Duke=B2 about his music
before he passed away in 1974.  Consequently, he has chosen musicians
steeped in Ellington=B9s artistry for his eight-member (including Richmond)
swingtet.  =B3We can=B9t just play Ellington tunes=8Bwe have to play the mood of
Ellington, as well,=B2 Richmond says.  =B3He was not just a composer of pop
songs, nor should he only be remembered as a jazz great.  Ellington spanned
the broad panorama of American music and was always at the top of his game.=
=B2

Kassaba is a unique, innovative and dynamic quartet whose members perform o=
piano, bass, saxophone and 25 unusual percussion instruments from different
nations.  Drawing on their roots in classical and jazz music, pianists and
Cleveland Institute of Music alumni Candice Lee and Greg Slawson,
saxophonist and Berklee School of Music alum Mark Boich, and bassist Eric
Hosemann perform original works by Slawson that encompass several genres.
Musically exciting, the Cleveland-based group transcends the traditional
notion of an ensemble.  With each artist playing different instruments
during a single piece, Kassaba=B9s movement on stage flows like a
choreographed work and =B3paints Greg Slawson=B9s original jazz compositions
with the exotic colors of global percussion instruments.=B2 [Wilma Salisbury,
The Plain Dealer]  Recently, the group has performed at Walsh University in
Canton, the Grog Shop in Cleveland Heights, Case Western Reserve University
and the Beachland Ballroom in Cleveland.  =B3Kassaba takes the vessel of jazz
and pours into it the wine of avant-garde rigor and rhetoric with a
playfulness reflected in the instrumental juggling act on stage.=B2 [Mark
Satola, music critic and broadcaster for WCLV-FM]

As for all Alma Cabaret performances, advance tickets for =B3Celebrating Duke
Ellington=B2 featuring the John Richmond Swingtet (June 23) and/or Kassaba
(June 24) are $14.  Day-of-show tickets are $16. Cleveland Heights resident=
presenting a Recreation ID and people presenting a Military ID receive a $3
discount.  Children=B9s tickets are 50 percent off when attending with a
parent if all attending family members hold Cleveland Heights Recreation
IDs.  A $2 discount is available when presenting a senior citizen ID, a
student ID or a Friends of Cain Park membership card.

Remaining Alma Cabaret performances include Cynthia O=B9Connell & Friends
(June 30) and Meshugeneh Mambo (July 1).  The Alma Cabaret series is
supported by The A. M. McGregor Home.

Tickets for all Cain Park events are available at the Cain Park Ticket
Office, by mail, in person, by phone 216.371.3000 or by FAX 216.371.6995
(please include full name, address, phone number, credit card number and
signature).  All major credit cards are accepted.  Tickets are also
available at all Ticketmaster outlets, Ticketmaster Charge-by-Phone
216.241.5555 or 330.945.9400 (Akron) and online at www.ticketmaster.com.

Cain Park 2004 season sponsors are The A. M. McGregor Home, Cingular
Wireless, InterContinental Hotels Cleveland, Motorcars Honda/Toyota in
Cleveland Heights.=20

Cain Park, a municipally owned and operated summer arts park and one of the
nation=B9s oldest landmark outdoor theaters, is produced by the City of
Cleveland Heights and is located on the south side of Superior Road between
Lee and South Taylor Roads.  Parking for all Cain Park productions is free
and located on the surrounding side streets.  For more information about al=
Cain Park events, please visit www.cainpark.com.

###

CONTACT: KSENIA ROSHCHAKOVSKY,  Public Relations and Marketing, or JEN
TROLIO, Public Relations Assistant, at 216.371.3000 or e-mail
ksenia at clvhts.com.
=20

--MS_Mac_OE_3170759199_1104030_MIME_Part

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Cain Park cabarets this week</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<FONT FACE=3D"Arial"><H1>ALMA CABARET SERIES CONTINUES<BR>
at CAIN PARK<BR>
<BR>
</H1><FONT SIZE=3D"4">CLEVELAND HEIGHTS, OH - Cain Park=B9s 2004 Alma Cabaret s=
eries continues with performances by the <B>John Richmond Swingtet</B> on <B=
>June 23</B> and <B>Kassaba</B> on<B> June 24</B>.  All Cabaret perform=
ances are held in the Alma Theatre and begin promptly at 7:30 p.m.<BR>
<BR>
The <B>John Richmond Swinget</B> will present <B>=B3Celebrating Duke Ellingto=
n,=B2</B> an evening filled with the group=B9s renditions of Ellington masterpie=
ces such as =B3Black Beauty,=B2 =B3Mood Indigo,=B2 =B3Don=B9t Get Around Much Anymore,=B2 =
=B3Take the =8CA=B9 Train=B2 and =B3Satin Doll,=B2 among others.  The show will als=
o include stunning film clips of Ellington from the late 1920s through the 1=
960s and a few Ellington surprises.  Swingtet leader John Richmond hear=
d Ellington perform live many times and even talked with =B3The Duke=B2 about hi=
s music before he passed away in 1974.  Consequently, he has chosen mus=
icians steeped in Ellington=B9s artistry for his eight-member (including Richm=
ond) swingtet.  =B3We can=B9t just play Ellington tunes=8Bwe have to play the=
 mood of Ellington, as well,=B2 Richmond says.  =B3He was not just a compos=
er of pop songs, nor should he only be remembered as a jazz great.  Ell=
ington spanned the broad panorama of American music and was always at the to=
p of his game.=B2<BR>
<BR>
<B>Kassaba </B>is a unique, innovative and dynamic quartet whose members pe=
rform on piano, bass, saxophone and 25 unusual percussion instruments from d=
ifferent nations.  Drawing on their roots in classical and jazz music, =
pianists and Cleveland Institute of Music alumni <B>Candice Lee</B> and <B>G=
reg Slawson</B>, saxophonist and Berklee School of Music alum <B>Mark Boich<=
/B>, and bassist <B>Eric Hosemann</B> perform original works by Slawson that=
 encompass several genres.  Musically exciting, the Cleveland-based gro=
up transcends the traditional notion of an ensemble.  With each artist =
playing different instruments during a single piece, Kassaba=B9s movement on s=
tage flows like a choreographed work and =B3paints Greg Slawson=B9s original jaz=
z compositions with the exotic colors of global percussion instruments.=B2 [Wi=
lma Salisbury, <I>The Plain Dealer</I>]  Recently, the group has perfor=
med at Walsh University in Canton, the Grog Shop in Cleveland Heights, Case =
Western Reserve University and the Beachland Ballroom in Cleveland.  =B3K=
assaba takes the vessel of jazz and pours into it the wine of avant-garde ri=
gor and rhetoric with a playfulness reflected in the instrumental juggling a=
ct on stage.=B2 [Mark Satola, music critic and broadcaster for WCLV-FM]  =
    <BR>
<BR>
As for all Alma Cabaret performances, advance tickets for =B3Celebrating Duke=
 Ellington=B2 featuring the John Richmond Swingtet (June 23) and/or Kassaba (J=
une 24) are $14.  Day-of-show tickets are $16. Cleveland Heights reside=
nts presenting a Recreation ID and people presenting a Military ID receive a=
 $3 discount.  Children=B9s tickets are 50 percent off when attending wit=
h a parent if all attending family members hold Cleveland Heights Recreation=
 IDs.  A $2 discount is available when presenting a senior citizen ID, =
a student ID or a Friends of Cain Park membership card.<BR>
<BR>
Remaining Alma Cabaret performances include Cynthia O=B9Connell & Friends=
 (June 30) and Meshugeneh Mambo (July 1).  The Alma Cabaret series is s=
upported by The A. M. McGregor Home.<BR>
<BR>
Tickets for all Cain Park events are available at the Cain Park Ticket Offi=
ce, by mail, in person, by phone 216.371.3000 or by FAX 216.371.6995 (please=
 include full name, address, phone number, credit card number and signature)=
.  All major credit cards are accepted.  Tickets are also availabl=
e at all Ticketmaster outlets, Ticketmaster Charge-by-Phone 216.241.5555 or =
330.945.9400 (Akron) and online at www.ticketmaster.com.<BR>
<BR>
Cain Park 2004 season sponsors are The A. M. McGregor Home, Cingular Wirele=
ss, InterContinental Hotels Cleveland, Motorcars Honda/Toyota in Cleveland H=
eights.  <BR>
<BR>
Cain Park, a municipally owned and operated summer arts park and one of the=
 nation=B9s oldest landmark outdoor theaters, is produced by the City of Cleve=
land Heights and is located on the south side of Superior Road between Lee a=
nd South Taylor Roads.  Parking for all Cain Park productions is free a=
nd located on the surrounding side streets.  For more information about=
 all Cain Park events, please visit www.cainpark.com.<BR>
<BR>
###<BR>
<BR>
CONTACT: KSENIA ROSHCHAKOVSKY,  Public Relations and Marketing, or JEN=
 TROLIO, Public Relations Assistant, at 216.371.3000 or e-mail ksenia at clvhts=
.com.<BR>
  <BR>
</FONT></FONT>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--MS_Mac_OE_3170759199_1104030_MIME_Part--