[NEohioPAL]Weathervane Shines at Ohio's OCTAfest

Jan Harcar jharcar at weathervaneplayhouse.com
Fri Sep 10 07:53:40 PDT 2004

------=_NextPart_000_0042_01C49724.6ED0A1C0

Weathervane Playhouse's production of A Lesson Before Dying took top =
honors at the recent Ohio Community Theater Association's state festival =
in Cincinnati, Ohio. During the Weathervane performance the ballroom of =
the Holiday Inn Eastgate was so silent you could hear a pin drop. When =
the performance concluded nearly all of the 400 plus attendees at the =
2004 State OCTAFest stood up to acknowledge the fine work that had just =
appeared on the temporary stage.=20

Without exception, the adjudicators praised the fine work of the company =
whose work was selected from the Northeast Regional OCTA Fest to perform =
at the state conference as an example of the some of the best work in =
the region.

Theater professionals who work both in Ohio and throughout the region =
critique the fifteen top theater selections from throughout the state. =
The adjudicators were Morrie Enders from LaCrosse Community Theater, =
Larry Nielson and Renee Rebman, a professional playwright. Awards are =
given at the levels of Merit, Excellence and Outstanding. Akron's =
Weathervane Playhouse was the top non-musical performance.

Weathervane's excerpted performance, directed by Sean McConaha, was =
honored with the following awards at the Awards Luncheon held on Monday, =
September 6, 2004.

    a.. Outstanding Direction for Sean McConaha
    b.. Outstanding Ensemble Performance
    c.. Outstanding in Acting for Sean Derry=20
    d.. Outstanding in Acting for David Lemoyne.=20
    e.. Outstanding in Set Design for Scott Ferrall
    f.. Excellence in Acting for Tom Barnes
Other stage performers who were a part of the award-winning ensemble =
included: Myron Lewis (a Weathervane Trustee), Tina Thompkins, Robert =
Keith and Tabah Aleem.=20

Weathervane Playhouse was named the Northeast Region's Theater of the =
Year in both 1998 and 2003. The company has taken an excerpt to state =
competition three times previously: Camping With Henry and Tom director, =
Michael Haney (98), Romeo and Juliet also directed by McConaha (youth =
theater, 99), last year with the award-winning The Laramie Project, =
director, Jacqi Loewy and now A Lesson Before Dying.

Backstage support for Lesson included:

Production Stage Manager: Maryanne A. Cotter

Assistant Stage Manager: John Cotter

Costume Designer: Sandra Harding

Set Designer: Scott Ferrall

Prop Designer: Dionne Atchison

Sound Design: Tom C. Barnes

Crew support: Vaughn G. Austin and Mark A. Zimmerman.

Producer: Elynmarie Kazle

It was a great weekend for the Playhouse, which also saw our OCTA =
Delegate, Vaughn Austin, elected to the State OCTA Board for a =
three-year term.

------=_NextPart_000_0042_01C49724.6ED0A1C0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2><FONT face=3DArial size=3D3>
<P>Weathervane Playhouse=92s production of <I>A Lesson Before Dying</I> =
took top=20
honors at the recent Ohio Community Theater Association=92s state =
festival in=20
Cincinnati, Ohio. During the Weathervane performance the ballroom of the =
Holiday=20
Inn Eastgate was so silent you could hear a pin drop. When the =
performance=20
concluded nearly all of the 400 plus attendees at the 2004 State =
OCTAFest stood=20
up to acknowledge the fine work that had just appeared on the temporary =
stage.=20
</P>
<P>Without exception, the adjudicators praised the fine work of the =
company=20
whose work was selected from the Northeast Regional OCTA Fest to perform =
at the=20
state conference as an example of the some of the best work in the =
region.</P>
<P>Theater professionals who work both in Ohio and throughout the region =

critique the fifteen top theater selections from throughout the state. =
The=20
adjudicators were Morrie Enders from LaCrosse Community Theater, Larry =
Nielson=20
and Renee Rebman, a professional playwright. Awards are given at the =
levels of=20
Merit, Excellence and Outstanding. Akron=92s Weathervane Playhouse was =
the top=20
non-musical performance.</P>
<P align=3Djustify>Weathervane=92s excerpted performance, directed by =
Sean McConaha,=20
was honored with the following awards at the Awards Luncheon held on =
Monday,=20
September 6, 2004.</P>
<UL>
  <DIR>
  <DIR>
  <UL>
    <LI>Outstanding Direction for <B>Sean McConaha</LI></B>
    <LI>Outstanding Ensemble Performance</LI>
    <LI>Outstanding in Acting for <B>Sean Derry</B> </LI>
    <LI>Outstanding in Acting for <B>David Lemoyne</B>. </LI>
    <LI>Outstanding in Set Design for <B>Scott Ferrall</LI></B>
    <LI>Excellence in Acting for <B>Tom =
Barnes</LI></UL></DIR></DIR></UL></B>
<P>Other stage performers who were a part of the award-winning ensemble=20
included<B>: Myron Lewis</B> (a Weathervane Trustee), <B>Tina =
Thompkins</B>,=20
<B>Robert Keith</B> and <B>Tabah Aleem. </P></B></FONT><FONT =
face=3DArial size=3D3>
<P>Weathervane Playhouse was named the Northeast Region=92s Theater of =
the Year in=20
both 1998 and 2003. The company has taken an excerpt to state =
competition three=20
times previously: <I>Camping With Henry and Tom</I> director, Michael =
Haney=20
(98), <I>Romeo and Juliet</I> also directed by McConaha (youth theater, =
99),=20
last year with the award-winning <I>The Laramie Project</I>, director, =
Jacqi=20
Loewy and now <I>A Lesson Before Dying.</P></I>
<DIR>
<DIR>
<DIR>
<DIR>
<P>Backstage support for <I>Lesson</I> included:</P>
<P>Production Stage Manager: <B>Maryanne A. Cotter</P></B>
<P>Assistant Stage Manager: <B>John Cotter</P></B>
<P>Costume Designer: <B>Sandra Harding</P></B>
<P>Set Designer: <B>Scott Ferrall</P></B>
<P>Prop Designer:<B> Dionne Atchison</P></B>
<P>Sound Design: <B>Tom C. Barnes</P></B>
<P>Crew support: <B>Vaughn G. Austin</B> and <B>Mark A. =
Zimmerman</B>.</P>
<P>Producer: <B>Elynmarie Kazle</P></B></DIR></DIR></DIR></DIR>
<P>It was a great weekend for the Playhouse, which also saw our OCTA =
Delegate,=20
<B>Vaughn Austin, </B>elected to the State OCTA Board for a three-year=20
term.</P></FONT></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0042_01C49724.6ED0A1C0--