[NEohioPAL]re: the origins of "break a leg"

Kristen Jones kjones at gate.cia.edu
Fri Oct 8 13:14:34 PDT 2004

I have heard a couple of theories as to the possible origins of this
phrase.  One dates from legend of the early belief in sprites and other
supernatural beings of the forest.  It was once common for people to
believe in Sprites - spirits that were believed to enjoy wreaking havoc
and causing trouble.  If the Sprites heard you ask for something, they
were reputed to try to make the opposite happen. Thus, telling someone
to "break a leg" is an attempt to outsmart the Sprites and in fact make
something good happen. Sort of a medieval reverse psychology.

The other legend I've heard refers to the assassination of Abraham
Lincoln by actor John Wilkes Booth in Ford's Theater, when Booth jumped
from Lincoln's box to the stage, breaking his leg. This might just be a
fabrication, however, as I've also heard that this phrase was only
introduced into print in the early 20th century.

As is typical in the theatre world, apparently LOTS of tall tales abound
-- pick the one of your choice!!