[NEohioPAL]Cain Park Announces 2005 Musicals

Ksenia ksenia at clvhts.com
Mon Nov 1 07:44:31 PST 2004

--MS_Mac_OE_3182150671_20191_MIME_Part

CAIN PARK ANNOUNCES
2005 THEATRE SEASON
THE SECRET GARDEN blossoms in Evans Amphitheater June 16-July 3
SONGS FOR A NEW WORLD sails into Alma Theater July 28-Aug 14
Auditions take place February 25-27

(Cleveland Heights, Ohio)  Two musicals never produced at Cain Park in its
67-year history=8BTHE SECRET GARDEN and SONGS FOR A NEW WORLD=8Bare scheduled
for the 2005 season, which is stacking up to be a season of several
=B3firsts.=B2  Cain Park=B9s first co-artistic directors, Victoria Bussert and
Russ Borski, have selected two theater artists who are making their Cain
Park debuts as directors.  Meryl Friedman, Executive Director of the
Virginia Avenue Project in Los Angeles, will direct THE SECRET GARDEN and
Carol Dunne, a freelance actor/director and Theatre Professor at Dartmouth
College, will direct SONGS FOR A NEW WORLD.

Auditions for both shows will occur on Friday, February 25 and Saturday,
February 26 at Grace Lutheran Church in Cleveland Heights.  Callbacks are
scheduled for Sunday, February 27.  The roles of Archibald Craven and Lily,
Craven=8Cs late wife, in THE SECRET GARDEN have already been cast with Patric=
Janson (tick, tick...BOOM!, Bat Boy: The Musical, Side Show) and Sandra
Simon (Goblin Market, Side Show).  Those interested in receiving audition
details should call 216.291.5792.

THE SECRET GARDEN
In a lonely manor house on the Yorkshire Moors, Archibald Craven yearns for
his beautiful, late wife, and becomes ever more isolated and remote from hi=
bedridden son.  But their quiet routine is turned upside down when young
Mary Lennox is sent to live with them following the death of her parents in
India.  She finds a secret walled garden hidden on the grounds and releases
the magic and adventure locked inside it, changing all of their lives
forever.  For anyone who has ever felt afraid to live and love, THE SECRET
GARDEN=B9s portrayal of reawakening spirits will thrill and rejuvenate.
Inspired by Frances Hodgson Burnett=B9s novel of the same name, THE SECRET
GARDEN (Book and Lyrics by Marsha Norman, Music by Lucy Simon) ran for 706
performances on Broadway and won Tonys for Best Book of a Musical and Best
Featured Actress in a Musical.

During her 16-year collaboration with Lifeline Theater in Chicago as Founde=
and Producing Director, Meryl Friedman (Director, THE SECRET GARDEN)
produced over 60 productions, most of them new and premiere works, adapting
and/or directing over half of them.  She is the recipient of numerous award=
for writing and directing and has worked at Lincoln Center Institute,
Goodman Theatre, Steppenwolf Theatre, The Kennedy Center and Webster
Conservatory at St. Louis Repertory Theatre.  Since moving to Los Angeles,
Meryl has directed for Ensemble Studio Theatre=8BThe LA Project, ASK Theater
Projects, No Title Productions at the Odyssey Theatre, the Powerhouse
Theatre, and LA Stage & Film at the Gascon Theatre.  Meryl is the Executive
Director of the Virginia Avenue Project
(http://www.virginiaavenueproject.org), a nationally acclaimed arts
mentoring program for kids and teens.

SONGS FOR A NEW WORLD
SONGS FOR A NEW WORLD is a modern musical revue written by Tony Award winne=
Jason Robert Brown  (Parade, The Last Five Years) that chronicles the
wonder, excitement, and sometimes despair associated with discovery.  He
says =B3It's about one moment.  It=B9s about hitting the wall and having to mak=
a choice, or take a stand, or turn around and go back.  It suggests that ou=
best solution for the stress and terror and anxiety we feel is to come
together and form a community that will support and uplift each other.=B2
Brown transports his audience from the deck of a 1492 Spanish sailing ship
to a ledge 57 stories above Fifth Avenue to meet a startling array of
characters ranging from a young man who has determined that basketball is
his ticket out of the ghetto to a woman whose dream of marrying rich nabs
her the man of her dreams and a soulless marriage.  Whether the discovery i=
monumental, such as Columbus=B9s journey to the Americas, or deeply personal
introspection, it is an awareness of a new world filled with opportunities
and limitations.

Carol Dunne  (Director, SONGS FOR A NEW WORLD) is a freelance actor and
director as well as a Theatre Professor at Dartmouth College.  While in
Cleveland she acted for 10 years at the Cleveland Play House, Great Lakes
Theater Festival, Cain Park (Into the Woods, Side Show), directed at Beck
Center for five years and served on the faculties of Baldwin-Wallace Colleg=
and Case Western Reserve University.

Cain Park, a municipally owned and operated summer arts park and one of the
nation=B9s oldest landmark outdoor theaters, is produced by the City of
Cleveland Heights and is located on the south side of Superior Road between
Lee and South Taylor roads.

To receive a complete schedule of events, call 216.291.5792.

--MS_Mac_OE_3182150671_20191_MIME_Part

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Cain Park Announces 2005 Musicals</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<FONT FACE=3D"Geneva"><H1>CAIN PARK ANNOUNCES <BR>
2005 THEATRE SEASON<BR>
</H1><FONT SIZE=3D"5"><B>THE SECRET GARDEN</B> blossoms in Evans Amphitheater=
 June 16-July 3<BR>
<B>SONGS FOR A NEW WORLD</B> sails into Alma Theater July 28-Aug 14<BR>
</FONT><FONT COLOR=3D"#FF0000"><H2><I>Auditions take place February 25-27<BR>
</I></H2></FONT><I><FONT SIZE=3D"5"><BR>
</FONT></I><FONT SIZE=3D"4">(Cleveland Heights, Ohio)  Two musicals neve=
r produced at Cain Park in its 67-year history=8BTHE SECRET GARDEN and SONGS F=
OR A NEW WORLD=8Bare scheduled for the 2005 season, which is stacking up to be=
 a season of several =B3firsts.=B2  Cain Park=B9s first co-artistic directors=
, <B>Victoria Bussert </B>and<B> Russ Borski</B>, have selected two theater =
artists who are making their Cain Park debuts as directors.  <B>Meryl F=
riedman</B>, Executive Director of the Virginia Avenue Project in Los Angele=
s, will direct THE SECRET GARDEN and <B>Carol Dunne</B>, a freelance actor/d=
irector and Theatre Professor at Dartmouth College, will direct SONGS FOR A =
NEW WORLD. <BR>
<BR>
Auditions for both shows will occur on Friday, February 25 and Saturday, Fe=
bruary 26 at Grace Lutheran Church in Cleveland Heights.  Callbacks are=
 scheduled for Sunday, February 27.  The roles of Archibald Craven and =
Lily, Craven=8Cs late wife, in THE SECRET GARDEN have already been cast with <=
B>Patrick Janson</B> (<I>tick, tick...BOOM!, Bat Boy: The Musical, Side Show=
</I>) and <B>Sandra Simon </B>(<I>Goblin Market, Side Show</I>).  Those=
 interested in receiving audition details should call 216.291.5792.<BR>
<BR>
</FONT><H3>THE SECRET GARDEN<BR>
</H3><FONT SIZE=3D"4">In a lonely manor house on the Yorkshire Moors, Archiba=
ld Craven yearns for his beautiful, late wife, and becomes ever more isolate=
d and remote from his bedridden son.  But their quiet routine is turned=
 upside down when young Mary Lennox is sent to live with them following the =
death of her parents in India.  She finds a secret walled garden hidden=
 on the grounds and releases the magic and adventure locked inside it, chang=
ing all of their lives forever.  For anyone who has ever felt afraid to=
 live and love, THE SECRET GARDEN=B9s portrayal of reawakening spirits will th=
rill and rejuvenate.   Inspired by Frances Hodgson Burnett=B9s novel=
 of the same name, THE SECRET GARDEN (Book and Lyrics by <B>Marsha Norman</B=
>, Music by <B>Lucy Simon</B>) ran for 706 performances on Broadway and won =
Tonys for Best Book of a Musical and Best Featured Actress in a Musical. &nb=
sp;<BR>
<BR>
During her 16-year collaboration with Lifeline Theater in Chicago as Founde=
r and Producing Director, <B>Meryl Friedman</B> (Director, THE SECRET GARDEN=
) produced over 60 productions, most of them new and premiere works, adaptin=
g and/or directing over half of them.  She is the recipient of numerous=
 awards for writing and directing and has worked at Lincoln Center Institute=
, Goodman Theatre, Steppenwolf Theatre, The Kennedy Center and Webster Conse=
rvatory at St. Louis Repertory Theatre.  Since moving to Los Angeles, M=
eryl has directed for Ensemble Studio Theatre=8BThe LA Project, ASK Theater Pr=
ojects, No Title Productions at the Odyssey Theatre, the Powerhouse Theatre,=
 and LA Stage & Film at the Gascon Theatre.  Meryl is the Executive=
 Director of the Virginia Avenue Project (<FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF"><U>http://ww=
w.virginiaavenueproject.org</U></FONT>), a nationally acclaimed arts mentori=
ng program for kids and teens.<BR>
<BR>
</FONT><H3>SONGS FOR A NEW WORLD<BR>
</H3><FONT SIZE=3D"4">SONGS FOR A NEW WORLD is a modern musical revue written=
 by Tony Award winner <B>Jason Robert Brown</B>  (<I>Parade, The Last F=
ive Years</I>) that chronicles the wonder, excitement, and sometimes despair=
 associated with discovery.  He says =B3It's about one moment.  It=B9s=
 about hitting the wall and having to make a choice, or take a stand, or tur=
n around and go back.  It suggests that our best solution for the stres=
s and terror and anxiety we feel is to come together and form a community th=
at will support and uplift each other.=B2  Brown transports his audience =
from the deck of a 1492 Spanish sailing ship to a ledge 57 stories above Fif=
th Avenue to meet a startling array of characters ranging from a young man w=
ho has determined that basketball is his ticket out of the ghetto to a woman=
 whose dream of marrying rich nabs her the man of her dreams and a soulless =
marriage.  Whether the discovery is monumental, such as Columbus=B9s jour=
ney to the Americas, or deeply personal introspection, it is an awareness of=
 a new world filled with opportunities and limitations.<BR>
<BR>
<B>Carol Dunne</B>  (Director, SONGS FOR A NEW WORLD) is a freelance a=
ctor and director as well as a Theatre Professor at Dartmouth College. &nbsp=
;While in Cleveland she acted for 10 years at the Cleveland Play House, Grea=
t Lakes Theater Festival, Cain Park (<I>Into</I> <I>the Woods</I>, <I>Side S=
how</I>), directed at Beck Center for five years and served on the faculties=
 of Baldwin-Wallace College and Case Western Reserve University.<BR>
<BR>
Cain Park, a municipally owned and operated summer arts park and one of the=
 nation=B9s oldest landmark outdoor theaters, is produced by the City of Cleve=
land Heights and is located on the south side of Superior Road between Lee a=
nd South Taylor roads.<BR>
<BR>
To receive a complete schedule of events, call 216.291.5792.<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
</FONT></FONT>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--MS_Mac_OE_3182150671_20191_MIME_Part--