[NEohioPAL]The Election

LissyGulick at aol.com LissyGulick at aol.com
Fri Nov 5 19:41:50 PST 2004

Dear friends,
The following article was forwarded to me by a dear friend. It is long for
this forum, but worth it in terms of the wisdom and hope it confers:

The Democrats Needed and Need a Religious/Spiritual Left   -  November 3,2004

Warm greetings to friends of the Tikkun Community!

Democrats Need a Religious Left By Rabbi Michael Lerner

>For years the Democrats have been telling themselves it's the economy,
stupid." Yet consistently for dozens of years millions of middle income Americans
have voted against their economic interests to support republicans who have
tapped a deeper set of needs.  Tens of millions of Americans feel betrayed by a
society that seems to  place materialism and selfishness above moral values.
They know that  "looking out for number one" has become the common sense of our
society, but they want a life that is about something more-a framework  of
meaning and purpose to their lives that would transcend the grasping and
narcissism that surrounds them. Sure, they will admit  that they have material needs,
and that they worry about adequate  health care, stability in employment, and
enough money to give their  kids a college education. But even more deeply
they want their lives to have  meaning-and they respond to candidates who seem
to care about  values and some sense of transcendent purpose.

>Many of these voters have found a "politics of meaning" in the political
Right. In the Right wing churches and synagogues these voters are presented with
a coherent worldview that speaks to their  "meaning needs." Most of these
churches and synagogues demonstrate a high level of caring for their members, even
if the flip side is a willingness to demean those on the outside. Yet what
members experience directly is a level of mutual caring that they rarely find
in the rest of the society. And a sense of community that is offered them
nowhere else, a community that has as its central theme that life has value because
it is connected to some higher meaning than one's success in the marketplace.

> It's easy to see how this hunger gets manipulated in ways that liberals
find offensive and contradictory. The frantic attempts to preserve family by
denying gays the right to get married, the talk about being conservatives while
meanwhile supporting Bush policies that accelerate the destruction of the
environment and do nothing to encourage respect for God's creation or an ethos of
awe and wonder to replace the ethos of turning nature into a commodity, the
intense focus on preserving the powerless fetus and a culture of life without a
concomitant commitment to medical research (stem cell research/HIV-AIDS), gun
control and healthcare reform., the claim to care about others and then deny
them a living wage and an ecologically sustainable environment-all this is
rightly perceived by liberals as a level of inconsistency that makes them dismiss
as hypocrites the voters who have been moving to the Right.

>Yet liberals, trapped in a long-standing disdain for religion and tone- deaf
to the spiritual needs that underlie the move to the Right, have been unable
to engage these voters in a  serious dialogue. Rightly  angry at the way that
some religious communities have been mired in  authoritarianism, racism,
sexism and homophobia, the liberal world has developed such a knee-jerk hostility
to religion that it has both  marginalized those many people on the Left who
actually do have spiritual yearnings and simultaneously refused to acknowledge
that  many who move to the Right have legitimate complaints about the ethos of
selfishness in American life.

>Imagine if John Kerry had been able to counter George Bush by insisting that
a serious religious person would never turn his back on the suffering of the
poor, that the bible's injunction to love one's  neighbor required us to
provide health care for all, and that the New Testament's command to "turn the
other cheek" should give us a predisposition against responding to violence with
violence.

>Imagine a Democratic Party that could talk about the strength that comes
from love and generosity and applied that to foreign policy and  homeland
security.

>Imagine a Democratic Party that could talk of a New Bottom Line, so that
American institutions get judged efficient, rational and productive not only to
the extent that they maximize money and power,  but also to the extent that
they maximize people's capacities to be loving and caring, ethically and
ecologically sensitive, and capable of responding to the universe with awe and wonder.

>Imagine a Democratic Party that could call for schools to teach gratitude,
generosity, caring for others, and celebration of the wonders that daily
surround us! Such a Democratic Party, continuing to embrace its agenda for economic
fairness and multi-cultural  inclusiveness, would have won in 2004 and can win
in the future.

>(Please don't tell me that this is happening outside the Democratic  Party
in the Greens or in other leftie groups-- because except for a few tiny
exceptions it is not! I remember how  hard I tried to get  Ralph Nader to think and
talk in these terms in 2000, and how little response I got substantively from
the Green Party when I suggested  reformulating their  excessively politically
correct policy orientation in ways that would speak to this spiritual
consciousness. The  hostility of the Left to spirituality is so deep, in fact, that
when they  hear us in Tikkun talking this way they often can't even hear what we
are saying--so they systematically mis-hear it and say that we  are calling
for the Left to take up the politics of the Right, which is exactly the
opposite of our point--speaking to spiritual needs  actually leads to a more radical
critique of the dynamics of corporate capitalism and corporate  globalization,
not to a mimicking of  right-wing policies).

> If the Democrats were to foster a religions/spiritual Left, they would  no
longer pick candidates who support preemptive wars or who appease corporate
power. They would reject the cynical realism that led them to pretend to be born
-again militarists, a deception that fooled no one and only revealed their
contempt for the intelligence of most  Americans. Instead of assuming that most
Americans are either stupid  or reactionary, a religious Left would understand
that many Americans who are on the Right actually share the same concern for a
world based on love and generosity that underlies Left politics, even though
lefties often hide their value attachments.

>Yet to move in this direction, many Democrats would have to give up their
attachment to a core belief: that those who voted for Bush are fundamentally
stupid or evil. Its time they got over that elitist  self- righteousness and
developed strategies that could affirm their common humanity with those who voted
for the Right. Teaching themselves to see the good in the rest of the American
public would be a critical first step in liberals and progressives learning
how to teach the rest of American society how to see that same goodness in the
rest of the people on this planet. It is this spiritual  lesson-that our own
well-being depends on the well-being of everyone else on the planet and on the
well-being of the earth - a lesson rooted deeply in the spiritual wisdom of
virtually every religion on the planet, that could be the center of a revived
Democratic Party.

>Yet to take that seriously, the Democrats are going to have to get  over the
false and demeaning perception that the Americans who voted  for Bush could
never be moved to care about the well being of anyone but themselves. That
transformation in the Democrats would make them  into serious contenders.

>The last time Democrats had real social power was when they linked their
legislative agenda with a spiritual politics articulated by Martin Luther King.
We cannot wait for the reappearance of that kind of charasmatic leader to begin
the process of re-building a spiritual/religious Left.

<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/lissygulick/index.html">Lissy Gulick </A>

http://www.geocities.com/lissygulick/index.html