[NEohioPAL]union, non union, etc questions

Jim Cherrington jimrc54 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 21 07:48:11 PST 2005

--0-1401277476-1106322491=:49323

The best way to get the information you're looking for is to go directly to the unions.  Equity AND IATSE are out of NYC - go figure!

Equity will gladly provide you with a copy of ALL the different types of contracts etc they have - Hope you have time to do some serious reading because there's a ton of 'em! If you are interested in getting points, you will need to start watching out for auditions at places like Carousel Dinner Theatre in Akron.  They have a nice Equity/NonEquity ratio and put on very high quality shows where you can learn a lot.

IATSE (or IA as some of us old timers call it) is set up much differently than AEA in that the rates differ from venue and local to venue/local.  My advice would be to find the local that covers your area and go from there.  In Cleveland, it's Local 27 and Akron is Local 48.  I've worked with both several times and they are normally really helpful.  You may have to keep after them because they are both really busy, but you can get the basic info you need.  If you live in the Mahoning Valley, i.e. Warren/Youngstown, contact either Locals 48 or 27 or just contact the International in NYC.  Many of us who live in this area and have many years professional experience in NYC, LA, Chicago, etc.,  have left IATSE due to the poor representation/management of the Local in this area so I would not recommend contacting them for any information because you will not get the real scoop.  - Sorry IATSE, just telling the truth and wish something would be done to correct the black eye of a local.

For film, SAG is based out of LA.  I've not done much work with them, so I don't know much about how they work.

AFTRA (Radio and Television announcers/actors) I believe is based out of either NYC or LA.

AGVA - American Guild of Variety Artists - this includes the wrestling actors is another you can look at.  I'm not sure where they're based out of, but you should look into them also.  A Google search should turn up the info you need.

There are other unions associated with the arts, but these will get you started in answering your questions.

Good Luck.

--0-1401277476-1106322491=:49323

<DIV>The best way to get the information you're looking for is to go directly to the unions.  Equity AND IATSE are out of NYC - go figure!  </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Equity will gladly provide you with a copy of ALL the different types of contracts etc they have - Hope you have time to do some serious reading because there's a ton of 'em! If you are interested in getting points, you will need to start watching out for auditions at places like Carousel Dinner Theatre in Akron.  They have a nice Equity/NonEquity ratio and put on very high quality shows where you can learn a lot.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>IATSE (or IA as some of us old timers call it) is set up much differently than AEA in that the rates differ from venue and local to venue/local.  My advice would be to find the local that covers your area and go from there.  In Cleveland, it's Local 27 and Akron is Local 48.  I've worked with both several times and they are normally really helpful.  You may have to keep after them because they are both really busy, but you can get the basic info you need.  If you live in the Mahoning Valley, i.e. Warren/Youngstown, contact either Locals 48 or 27 or just contact the International in NYC.  Many of us who live in this area and have many years professional experience in NYC, LA, Chicago, etc.,  have left IATSE due to the poor representation/management of the Local in this area so I would not recommend contacting them for any information because you will not get the real scoop.  - Sorry IATSE, just telling the truth and wish
 something would be done to correct the black eye of a local.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>For film, SAG is based out of LA.  I've not done much work with them, so I don't know much about how they work.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>AFTRA (Radio and Television announcers/actors) I believe is based out of either NYC or LA.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>AGVA - American Guild of Variety Artists - this includes the wrestling actors is another you can look at.  I'm not sure where they're based out of, but you should look into them also.  A Google search should turn up the info you need.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>There are other unions associated with the arts, but these will get you started in answering your questions.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Good Luck.</DIV>
--0-1401277476-1106322491=:49323--