[NEohioPAL]Using the Yahoo Groups NEOPal Bulletin Board.... And reasons for it's use...

Richard B. Ingraham rbi at rbicompaudio.20m.com
Wed Feb 2 10:12:59 PST 2005

At Fred's request, I'm posting to the main list to attempt to help other
list members with the use of the experimental NEOPal Bulletin Board.

First, for those of you that have not joined the Yahoo Group NEOPal
Bulletin Board, I think it's worth pointing out a few things about the
use of the Yahoo Group.

(I know the folks that are on the Yahoo Group, have already read all
this, and are probably sick of hearing from me....so I apologize in
advance....and please bear with me here....)

1.  Some folks have voiced concerns about "missing" something, if there
are two lists.  I personally don't think this will be the case.  For
those folks who simply want to only get audition notices, and
announcements about events and other activities (probably stuff for sale
as well?), you would only sign up for the main NEOPal list.  Once a
"discussion" has been moved by Fred off the main list, to our bulletin
board, the folks that are only subscribed to the main list, would no
longer get any Inbox clogging emails, about something they might not
care about.  For those that want to join in on discussions, you would
simple subscribe to both lists, and then you would get every post, just
as if it was all on a single NEOPal list.

For example, I use Microsoft Outlook.  I have an Email Rule set-up so
that all the NEOPal email (from the main email list) goes to it's own
folder.  This way it keeps it all out of my Inbox, but I don't have to
get the silly digest version.  This allows me to save any emails I may
want to save for some reason or another.  Others I may read and then
delete, while some (for me it's the audition notices..I'm not an
Actor...so I don't need those) I never even read, they are deleted right
away.

So all I did when I joined the Yahoo Group list, is to simply.. Join the
group, then assign another new email rule that takes all the email from
this bulletin board list, and then puts it in the same folder with all
the other NEOPal email.  This way all the NEOPal email is in the same
place.

Almost all email reading software I've played with, has similar
functions.  Or course they can't make it simple and all use the same
"name" for these same functions, but they all should have some type of
"Rules" wizard or the like.  (I know some call them filters....)

I guess if you like to read all email on line, rather than downloading
it to a local machine, then it could be a pain.  But I would guess that
most of the folks who are currently subscribed to the main NEOPal list,
do not go to the list's web page, and read the email there.  Most
probably have the list delivered to their email Inbox (either as
individual messages or as a digest), and the new list is no different.

2.  I know that some folks may object to the ads that Yahoo places
within their Yahoo Groups web pages.  A house keeping suggestion....
I'm on several Yahoo Groups, if you don't want to read the stupid Yahoo
ads, then please don't read your email on line.  Have the Yahoo Group
sent to your normal email Inbox, and it will show up, just like the
regular NEOPal list does.  Also, when you sign up there is an option
called "Convert All Posts to HTML"  Or something like that.  TURN THIS
OFF!  By turning that off, you'll get almost no ads in your Inbox from a
Yahoo group.

3.  Lastly I would just like to point out a few of the reasons why I
think this is a good idea.

At the moment, our main NEOPal Email list is set up in a fashion where
each and every post is personally "looked at" and approved by Fred
personally.  The list as it stands is not really set up as a forum for
open discussions.  For example, when you hit the reply key to an email
from the list, it is automatically sent back to the individual who set
it, not back to the entire list.  So in a way, the main NEOPal list
itself is more of a bulletin board, than a discussion forum.  With our
new Yahoo Group, we would be able to have an open discussion forum,
where Fred (although I'm sure he would keep a close eye on it) would not
be required to approve each and every post.  This could lead to a much
more free flow discussion of topics.  This is how every other email list
that I participate in works.

Obviously this new list (if it continues) will go through some "growing"
pains.  I'm sure it will take some time, for us to kind of "figure out"
the best way to use it.   For example, how soon should a topic be moved
from the primary list?, making sure that only open discussion topics are
posted to the new list... Audition notices should only go to the main
list...etc....   There will probably be plenty of questions, and debates
about it's use.  But I frankly welcome that debate, and have for some
time wished that there was a place where the NEOPal community could have
a more open and free flow discussion.  Several times in the past few
years have proved that there are many topics that could be openly
discussed by the NEO Arts Community.  (everything from building
convention centers, to debates on how film audition notices should be
worded, to professional behavior, etc...)  Although I would hope that
our new list would not lead to any "flame wars", which is email list
slang, for personal attacks.  But I would suspect that Fred would put a
stop to that rather quickly.

Clearly I'm biased for having a second list.  I should make it clear
however that my comments are not meant to take away from what we already
have, and that I do appreciate the list Fred has given us.

I hope this helps clear up any confusion.  Please feel free to contact
me off list, if you have questions about setting up email rules or the
like.

Richard B. Ingraham
Free-lance Sound Design/Engineer/Technician
RBI Computers & Audio
email at: rbi at rbicompaudio.20m.com
http://www.rbicompaudio.20m.com