[NEohioPAL]Using the Yahoo Groups NEOPal Bulletin Board.... And reasons for it's use...

Christopher kaimei at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 2 15:00:21 PST 2005

I think there is a tendency to take technical competency for granted when it comes to postings concerning the move to bulletin boards for
discussions or topics that may be interpreted as not being audition related, from what I've read on the postings on the main NEOPAL list and the
yahoo bulletin board.  For many of us, checking the bulletin board is not far removed, and in many ways simpler than checking email.  I am in no
way implying that Richard, or any proponents of the bulletin board are trying to disenfranchise those with less computer literacy.

However, as someone who is on the front lines of the NEOPAL recipient list, I can attest to the fact that many (close to a third) of the people
who respond to my postings are at best semi literate when it comes to computer usage, and many check their email at a library where simple tasks
like subscribing to a discussion group are very difficult because some library computers will not accept cookies.  These issues combined with
problematic ISPs (like AOL) make even the simplest tasks like checking email turn into a need for technical support.  For some, as soon as
Richard mentioned Microsoft Outlook, I can only imagine the number of very intelligent, computer illiterate subscribers who scratched their heads
and said to themselves, "do I use Outlook??"

I think enough people can intuit "flame wars" in the subject headers to delete them if they predict the information won't benefit them.  A
surprising number of families who responded to my call for child actresses have inquired about reputable agencies and classes for their children
as a result of the debates stemming from those discussions.  I can only imagine the number of families who wouldn't have second guessed the
expenditure of their hard earned money toward classes or representation that may have only led them down the road to disappointment or worse, had
they not seen it in the main list, as many of these same parents find it difficult enough to check their email.

I am respectfully disobeying Richard's request to reply to him directly, because I believe that a significant number of subscribers are missing
the debate happening on the yahoo group regarding this subject, and I want to make sure that those people are informed:  if Fred doesn't hear
from the people who see themselves in the group that I describe above, then the information that you get from the open discussions as they have
taken form up to now, will go to the bulletin board, which may be inaccessible to many readers on this list for either technical or learning
curve reasons.  Many subscribing to this list are doing what they can to juggle their childrens' budding performance careers with the rest of
their lives.  I would hate to see them miss out on information that was one time accessible and easily deletable if it didn't pertain.

I think it's too easy to assume that if a person can't get to the yahoo bulletin board, that they likely don't have the requisite skills to even
subscribe to NEOPAL.  I'm writing to let you know that I've met in recent weeks a significant demographic who fall right in the middle, and risk
being left behind if only the basest information gets posted to the primary list.  If only 5% of Fred's readers fell into this category,
considering the subscriber list is past 3000, that would be 150 people this would pertain to.  I met about 30 of them with my little niche
posting, which makes me think that pertinent number is closer to 300 or a bit more.

I think many will take whatever changes are made as they come because they take NEOPAL as it is for granted.  From my professional travels around
the U.S. and abroad, I can tell you there is nothing quite like NEOPAL where subscribers not only get the basic community postings, but the low
down on what happens, who you can trust and why.

For those who feel the way I do on this subject, I'm taking the liberty of suggesting you make your voice heard by sending your comments to the
list at neohiopal at lists.fredsternfeld.com.  I support whatever Fred decides to do, as it is his list to let grow and change as he sees fit.  But
as his largess with Northeast Ohio's arts community has so consistently manifested itself with the growth of this list, I feel he would want to
know if a significant number of you would feel like you're losing a little bit of the list's functionality with any topics moving to a
potentially inaccessible bulletin board.

Thanks Fred and readers for making even what I wrote above a possibility.

Christopher K. Young
www.shallowfocus.com