[NEohioPAL]Work for free ...

crosenth at kent.edu crosenth at kent.edu
Wed Feb 9 04:43:38 PST 2005

I would like to respond to Shelly Marks' opinion on entertainment
artists working for free. I would just like to say that actors who
have not had the priveledge to get "discovered" for their first major
stage/film role may decide that getting acquainted with people in the
business.  The fact is in theatre/film industry, we work because we
know someone ... am I right?

Me, as a college student studying theatre, would like to finally work
for a small (or rather large) stipend.  However, I know that since I
am really just starting out, I have the choice to build my resume with
small projects that pays me in experience rather than pay.

I have done community theatre for several years and enjoy entertaining
people.  That's why I am studying it.  I say that if I am not in a
union like SAG or Actor's Equity, I will continue to volunteer my
talent to build up my resume.  If my big break comes where I get paid,
wonderful.

Call me an idiot, but that's my two cents.

"In my hand the future was golden, now it's what I hold in my palm.
In my hand you made a good living, giving me the quiet and calm.  In
my hand, you promised forever, now I see you're dropping the bomb."  -
Burrs, Andrew Lippa's "The Wild Party"
Craig Rosenthal - Freshman
crosenth at kent.edu
cell:  330.606.4633