[NEohioPAL]Entertainment Whoredom

Joel Nunley oscarseeker2010 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 9 22:27:52 PST 2005

--0-1585175758-1108016872=:63005

Thanks, Shelly, for being the first over the wall on the issue of entertainment whoredom. You have opened the gate for us and we're all in. Most of us, I should qualify. There are some who would rather stay outside where it's comfortable. No guilt, friend, we'll leave the door open for you.

My comment refers to those in the non-union trenches. All of us in the unions have been where you are. It's tough I know. But read my letter to you. I have something to tell you:

We've talked about surgeons, roofers, and other professionals. The question is why do some in the performing arts community continue to work for free? I'll tell you why, because those people fail to believe in themselves. They have been told by a relative or friend that they didn't quite have what it takes to be a professional. "Don't quit your day job," the father chuckles. And in the back of this person's mind, he believes this.

At night, he lays awake dreaming of playing the big role. He wants to be Hamlet. He constantly works on his art, and socializes with people of like minds. He breathes the vision. And he gets roles.  But still, this man (or woman) deep in himself feels like the scolded child every time he thinks of being a professional performer, as in compensated. "I don't have what it takes." "Who am I fooling. I can't actually ask for money for this. I'm not good enough. I don't have enough experience. I'm too old or young."

My response to you is this--GET ANGRY! Get furious with these distorted images of yourself. See yourself the way we see you when you perform. You're glorious. A shining star. Radiant. Brilliant. God made you to be a performer. Your talent is like honey that you pour into the mouths of those who watch you. Rise up, wake up!  We have to be together on this, artists.

I'm going a step further than Shelly did and this will most likely precipitate a full mailbox of nasty letters. But I'm Irish. I like a good strong fight.  Why is it that we actors have to do any work for free?  Everyone else gets paid, even in small theatres. The costumer, the set builders, and others all get some type of compensation. And they should. But the actor is supposed to be glad he is getting the privilege to be on stage? Give me a proverbial break.

There are exceptions to this, I know. Free theatres, student film projects, etc. But we cannot simply say that because we're at a community theatre or on an independent film project, that we should not get paid. Do you think the indie film director is getting all his work gratis? Think again. He figures out who he has to pay and who will work for free. The same goes for the small and community theatres. If you knew how much money some community theatres make, you'd be furious when they tell you, "We don't pay our actors." They give you some bull crap about performing for the love of the stage and you're driving home from rehearsal on fumes. We have to step up and be counted for. A theatre that is making any money at all should compensate all its actors. Period.

You should be striving to join a union, yes, but I know it is difficult to get in. It takes time. Until you do get in, you should go the extra mile and negotiate a salary for yourself. You are worth it. Even if you don't need the money, there are those of who do. And by not pushing for a salary, you "cut their throats", harsh as that is to say.

I used to think that money and material things are evil and non-artistic, until I tried to eat my canvas and drink my paint. There is a time for giving. We artists know all about that. But there is also a time to be paid what we're due. Now is that time.

Respectfully,
Joel S. Nunley

--0-1585175758-1108016872=:63005

<DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>Thanks, Shelly, for being the first over the wall on the issue of entertainment whoredom. You have opened the gate for us and we're all in. Most of us, I should qualify. There are some who would rather stay outside where it's comfortable. No guilt, friend, we'll leave the door open for you. </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>My comment refers to those in the non-union trenches. All of us in the unions have been where you are. It's tough I know. But read my letter to you. <STRONG><FONT color=#ff0000>I have something to tell you</FONT><FONT color=#ff0000>:</FONT></STRONG></DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>We've talked about surgeons, roofers, and other professionals. The question is why do some in the performing arts community continue to work for free? I'll tell you why, because those people fail to believe in themselves. They have been told by a relative or friend that they didn't quite have what it takes to be a professional. "Don't quit your day job," the father chuckles. And in the back of this person's mind, he believes this.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>At night, he lays awake dreaming of playing the big role. He wants to be Hamlet. He constantly works on his art, and socializes with people of like minds. He breathes the vision. And he gets roles.  But still, this man (or woman) deep in himself feels like the scolded child every time he thinks of being a professional performer, as in compensated. "I don't have what it takes." "Who am I fooling. I can't actually ask for money for this. I'm not good enough. I don't have enough experience. I'm too old or young."  </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>My response to you is this--<FONT color=#ff0000><STRONG>GET ANGRY!</STRONG></FONT> Get furious with these distorted images of yourself. See yourself the way we see you when you perform. You're glorious. A shining star. Radiant. Brilliant. God made you to be a performer. Your talent is like honey that you pour into the mouths of those who watch you. Rise up, wake up!  We have to be together on this, artists. </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I'm going a step further than Shelly did and this will most likely precipitate a full mailbox of nasty letters. But I'm <FONT color=#60bf00>Irish</FONT>. I like a good strong fight.  Why is it that we actors have to do <U><STRONG>any</STRONG></U> work for free?  Everyone else gets paid, even in small theatres. The costumer, the set builders, and others all get some type of compensation. And they should. But the actor is supposed to be glad he is getting the privilege to be on stage? Give me a proverbial break. </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>There are exceptions to this, I know. Free theatres, student film projects, etc. But we cannot simply say that because we're at a community theatre or on an independent film project, that we should not get paid. Do you think the indie film director is getting all his work gratis? Think again. He figures out who he has to pay and who will work for free. The same goes for the small and community theatres. If you knew how much money some community theatres make, you'd be furious when they tell you, "We don't pay our actors." They give you some bull crap about performing for the love of the stage and you're driving home from rehearsal on fumes. We have to step up and be counted for. A theatre that is making any money at all should compensate all its actors. Period. </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>You should be striving to join a union, yes, but I know it is difficult to get in. It takes time. Until you do get in, you should go the extra mile and negotiate a salary for yourself. You are worth it. Even if you don't need the money, there are those of who do. And by not pushing for a salary, you "cut their throats", harsh as that is to say.  </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I used to think that money and material things are evil and non-artistic, until I tried to eat my canvas and drink my paint. There is a time for giving. We artists know all about that. But there is also a time to be paid what we're due. Now is that time.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Respectfully,</DIV>
<DIV>Joel S. Nunley </DIV>
<DIV>  </DIV>