[NEohiopal] responce-will you work for free

Brice Corder bcorder03 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 10 01:47:23 PST 2005

Hello Everyone!

This is my first time posting in here.  I felt that I
needed to respond to this "working for free", "pay vs.
play" thing.

First, I want to start by introducing a very good book
that answers most questions regarding "Pay vs. Play"
and "pro vs. am"
Acting Professionally: Raw Facts About Careers in
Acting
by Robert Cohen

Its a great book which is kept to date on Unions and
how to join if you should join,and many other very
pressing issues/ questiong in the Acting World.  In my
opinion everyone should read it if they have every had
a thought about what it is like to be paid, or want to
make a career out of it.

Mid way through my college years, (I’m only 23) I
began to do Summer Stock for a Union House; I chose
not to take EMC (equity membership) points because I
needed to learnmore before I became Equity.  However,
I still negotiated pay as a non-union guest artist.  I
did this until graduation when I left college to
perform at a non-union stock in NH.  I was paid and
housed, not much but I lived off it.  Then I moved up
to a Non-Union Dinner Theatre contract, and got paid a
little more, following that I got the next gig, where
I was cast as a non-union in a Equity LORT B theatre,
and negotiated pay at union rates, because I still did
not want become UNION. Now I am looking for UNION and
NON work and will take my card if offered, and have
chosen not to go the EMC route, and instead only take
my card when it is given to me.
I have my degree and theatre and have been working
professionally for 2 years since graduation.  I have
not taken a non-paying theatre gig since I graduated.

However, since being home here in Ohio before going
back to NYC, I have sang at a book club, for nothing
and am considering doing some other things locally
because I want to have some fun and work on my craft.
Theatre is my career and yes, I love being paid for
it. But it is also my hobby, therfore I would not
frown at any small/large community theatre not paying
because LADIES AND GENTLEMEN THEY ARE HELPING KEEP THE
ARTS ALIVE!  It is so hard in the present economy to
make a theatre work.  Especially if you are doing very
controversial pieces, such as Laramie Project, and
small One Acts like McNally’s "Prelude and Liebistod”,
or Tennessee Williams "The Chalky White Substance"
these are great pieces. It all comes down to the three
P's in my opinion: PAY (getting paid for something
that entertains people, film, TV, theatre whether
NON-Union paying or UNION) PLAY (having fun with
theatre as a hobby in community theatres or churches),
and PRESENTATION (trying something new, a reading, or
a controversial piece)....  All the shows we have to
get paid for today did not all start out as paying
blockbusters. Instead, they were just a unknown piece
in a small black box or "middle-of-no-where theatre",
and they were done, embraced and sent on their merry
way to be reworked, re-cast, or straight to Broadway
or Off-Broadway and some run forever, and some flop to
the critics.  Its always been that way, back to the
middle ages and before doing plays on wagons with
local people, making political and religious
statements so were requestied at every festival, and
others were done once in a small little town never to
be seen again.

Theatre is about using your voice, not as an actor
getting your "15 minutes of fame,”(however nice that
may be) but in a theatre space, with a group, who
collaborate to work together, to use the voice of the
piece/show to make a statement, tell a story, and
entertain other people.  If that is why you are doing
it then GREAT!  If you are ONLY doing it for the FAME
then, try something else, or just have fun and be a
local star for no money as a Hobby!!!  Becuase, In
order to get paid in a professional career you have to
be willing to work hard on your craft, struggle, have
let downs (sometimes A LOT), be rejected, get cast,
never give up, stay focused, and give 200%then maybe
you will get a break, even after the break the
conracts do end eventually, and you can't quit,
because you must keep developing and stay ahead of the
crowd to keep moving toward that goal of stardom. And
every job you get there-after is helpin carve your
little star in the History of theatre.
However.....for those people on here doing theatre for
a hobby and love it for just the fact of fun...Keep
working you are doing a great service of fun for
yourself and aiding in Keeping the arts alive in our
communities.   I see lots of great very interesting
shows being done in NE OHIO and I love it!!! I commend
all the producers and artistic directors for taking
chances (AKA the Greatful Dead Musical at carousel,
and the small independent films being shot and
showcased, and the non-profit community and pro
theatres doing Rush Limbaughs shows, and the always
wonderful WORLD PREMIERS)and to everyone else keeping
theatre alive ... Thank you!!!

Thanks for listening, and keep working!!
Brice Corder
bcorder03 at yahoo.com