[NEohioPAL]Response to Ms Thomas

Joel Nunley oscarseeker2010 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 10 04:32:31 PST 2005

--0-826971606-1108038751=:62263

Dear Ms. Thomas:

A response to your letter:

Let me say first that I am very sorry about the death of your father. It must be very hard for you and you have my condolences. I trust that you' ll find peace and rest during this time.

But, Erica, please, you owe the acting community in Cleveland and Akron an apology. How dare you, someone who has been in the trenches, insult this community with your "reel material" carrot. If your friends want to volunteer their time on the project, that's one thing. But to ask someone you don't know to do that is insulting. Very insulting. I learned from Marianne Nagel who, even though she performed a benefit concert, paid her accompaniest out of her own pocket. But, I forgot. This is Cleveland, isn't it. We need your talent and New York state of mind, don't we? Thanks for the opportunity to learn from you, but I'll pass. I don't even need the oil change.

If you're such a philanthropist, giving us the privilege of working with you and your award-winning team, why not put your money where your mouth is and do what is right. It's amazing and sad at the same time that you do not get this. If I don't have the extra money to go out to a club, I STAY HOME. If you can't raise the budget for your commercial, then don't shoot it. But don't get mad at us for wanting to make a living.

Sincerely,
Joel S. Nunley

Chad Stutz <chad at thetriptych.net> wrote:
I know there are some actors out there who enjoy their drama, so I am
happy to serve it up, but don't kill the messenger. Enjoy ;)

FROM ERIKA THOMAS:

> To address everyone who is up-in-arms about the sleazy, money-grubbing
> car dealer asking actors to work for free...
>
> Well, I'd like to introduce myself. I'm Erika Thomas, that sleazy,
> money-grubbing car dealer... except I'm not. I'm 27 years old, and
> I've been an actress in New York for the past ten years. I belong to
> every union. Then, six months ago, my father passed away, and it was
> up to me to save a business that has been in my family for 72 years.
> If you question my claims or my experience, then please Google me.
>
> The reason why I would ask an actor to film a commercial for no pay is
> because I thought it would be a great opportunity for local actors who
> don't have a lot of experience to get some. I felt that the
> experience of working with me, with an award-winning director and a
> seasoned production team (who, by the way, are all donating their time
> and energy as a favor to me) would be one that most actors would
> relish, and one that actors who are searching for a break in NYC or LA
> generally have to pay for out of their own pocket. Believe it or not,
> a commercial reel is EXTREMELY important when it comes to landing a
> national gig or getting a quality commercial agent.
>
> As someone who's livelihood was solely based on acting jobs, I
> understand the need to get paid for your work. My commercials were
> what paid my rent at times. You know what, though, the first two
> commercials that I ever did, I did for free... and unlike some people
> associated with this list, I would never want a surgeon to work on me
> who had never performed surgery before.
>
> Be careful casting stones. Sometimes, things aren't as black and
> white as they seem, huh?
>
> -Erika Thomas
>
> Oh... and I would never offer you a free oil-change in exchange for
> your talent because THAT would be insulting.

--0-826971606-1108038751=:62263

<DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>Dear Ms. Thomas:</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>A response to your letter:</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Let me say first that I am very sorry about the death of your father. It must be very hard for you and you have my condolences. I trust that you' ll find peace and rest during this time.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>But, Erica, please, you owe the acting community in Cleveland and Akron an apology. How dare you, someone who has been in the trenches, insult this community with your "reel material" carrot. If your friends want to volunteer their time on the project, that's one thing. But to ask someone you don't know to do that is insulting. Very insulting. I learned from Marianne Nagel who, even though she performed a benefit concert, paid her accompaniest out of her own pocket. But, I forgot. This is Cleveland, isn't it. We need your talent and New York state of mind, don't we? Thanks for the opportunity to learn from you, but I'll pass. I don't even need the oil change.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>If you're such a philanthropist, giving us the privilege of working with you and your award-winning team, why not put your money where your mouth is and do what is right. It's amazing and sad at the same time that you do not get this. If I don't have the extra money to go out to a club, I STAY HOME. If you can't raise the budget for your commercial, then don't shoot it. But don't get mad at us for wanting to make a living.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Sincerely,</DIV>
<DIV>Joel S. Nunley</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV><BR><B><I>Chad Stutz <chad at thetriptych.net></I></B> wrote:</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE class=replbq style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid">I know there are some actors out there who enjoy their drama, so I am <BR>happy to serve it up, but don't kill the messenger. Enjoy ;)<BR><BR>FROM ERIKA THOMAS:<BR><BR>> To address everyone who is up-in-arms about the sleazy, money-grubbing <BR>> car dealer asking actors to work for free...<BR>><BR>> Well, I'd like to introduce myself. I'm Erika Thomas, that sleazy, <BR>> money-grubbing car dealer... except I'm not. I'm 27 years old, and <BR>> I've been an actress in New York for the past ten years. I belong to <BR>> every union. Then, six months ago, my father passed away, and it was <BR>> up to me to save a business that has been in my family for 72 years. <BR>> If you question my claims or my experience, then please Google me.<BR>><BR>> The reason why I would ask an actor to film a commercial for no pay is <BR>> because I thought it would be a
 great opportunity for local actors who <BR>> don't have a lot of experience to get some. I felt that the <BR>> experience of working with me, with an award-winning director and a <BR>> seasoned production team (who, by the way, are all donating their time <BR>> and energy as a favor to me) would be one that most actors would <BR>> relish, and one that actors who are searching for a break in NYC or LA <BR>> generally have to pay for out of their own pocket. Believe it or not, <BR>> a commercial reel is EXTREMELY important when it comes to landing a <BR>> national gig or getting a quality commercial agent.<BR>><BR>> As someone who's livelihood was solely based on acting jobs, I <BR>> understand the need to get paid for your work. My commercials were <BR>> what paid my rent at times. You know what, though, the first two <BR>> commercials that I ever did, I did for free... and unlike some people <BR>> associated with this list, I would never
 want a surgeon to work on me <BR>> who had never performed surgery before.<BR>><BR>> Be careful casting stones. Sometimes, things aren't as black and <BR>> white as they seem, huh?<BR>><BR>> -Erika Thomas<BR>><BR>> Oh... and I would never offer you a free oil-change in exchange for <BR>> your talent because THAT would be insulting.<BR></BLOCKQUOTE>
<P>
<HR SIZE=1>
</DIV></DIV><p>
		<hr size=1>Do you Yahoo!?<br>