[NEohioPAL]Remembering Tony Walsh

Christopher Fortunato judgehand2003a at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 15 15:57:23 PST 2005

--0-474959179-1110931043=:3226

Dear Friends,

Despite my acting background, I only saw Tony in court.  I was introduced to him by Judge Ralph McAllister and some of the defense bar when I was a younger lawyer.  At the time, he had played Senator Karl Mundt, a conservative Republican from North Dakota who was a partisan of Joseph McCarthy, but pulled back on him (as did most of the Senate) when Tail Gunner Joe imploded.

>From that time, I always called him Senator.  Around that time, Tony briefly served as a magistrate in the Cleveland Housing Court under former Judge Bill Corrigan, a tireless advocate for tenants.  Tony would wear round black rimmed glasses ala Winston Churchill and with his usual tweed and rumpled look resembled something out of Dickens.  Bleak House would have suited him.

Tony developed a ferocious reputation after his defense of Kent State students back in 1970 and his reputation increased. Sometimes a reputation like that can be fun because some prosecutors will turn tide, some will steel their backs, but judges will always moan because they usually want to settle cases (and some simply want to be the stars (hams) in their courtrooms.)  One of his last notable clients was a fireman accused of rape, stalking and burglary.  Unfortunately, due to illness, Tony withdrew from representation.

Many of us defense lawyers used to sit in the Justice Center cafeteria and have coffee and discuss law and politics.  With Tony there, it was always fun to hear about theatre, too.  Tony's politics were lefter than most so it was fun to talk to him about his views.  He held forth on persons who named names, Richard Nixon, and the encroaching lack of personal liberties.  Sometimes Mary would be over but she was usually in the Old Courthouse in a divorce matter.

One of Tony's last roles in the Justice Center was to serve jury duty.  Until a few years ago, lawyers were exempt from service along with doctors, policeman, fireman,  and cloistered nuns and priests.  Now, everyone except the cloistered are eligible.  I'm sure his service was an award winning performance.

Recquieset in pacem.

Chris Fortunato

http://mail.yahoo.com
--0-474959179-1110931043=:3226

<DIV>
<DIV>Dear Friends,</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Despite my acting background, I only saw Tony in court.  I was introduced to him by Judge Ralph McAllister and some of the defense bar when I was a younger lawyer.  At the time, he had played Senator Karl Mundt, a conservative Republican from North Dakota who was a partisan of Joseph McCarthy, but pulled back on him (as did most of the Senate) when Tail Gunner Joe imploded. </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>From that time, I always called him Senator.  Around that time, Tony briefly served as a magistrate in the Cleveland Housing Court under former Judge Bill Corrigan, a tireless advocate for tenants.  Tony would wear round black rimmed glasses ala Winston Churchill and with his usual tweed and rumpled look resembled something out of Dickens.  <EM>Bleak House</EM> would have suited him.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Tony developed a ferocious reputation after his defense of Kent State students back in 1970 and his reputation increased. Sometimes a reputation like that can be fun because some prosecutors will turn tide, some will steel their backs, but judges will always moan because they usually want to settle cases (and some simply want to be the stars (hams) in their courtrooms.)  One of his last notable clients was a fireman accused of rape, stalking and burglary.  Unfortunately, due to illness, Tony withdrew from representation.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Many of us defense lawyers used to sit in the Justice Center cafeteria and have coffee and discuss law and politics.  With Tony there, it was always fun to hear about theatre, too.  Tony's politics were lefter than most so it was fun to talk to him about his views.  He held forth on persons who named names, Richard Nixon, and the encroaching lack of personal liberties.  Sometimes Mary would be over but she was usually in the Old Courthouse in a divorce matter.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>One of Tony's last roles in the Justice Center was to serve jury duty.  Until a few years ago, lawyers were exempt from service along with doctors, policeman, fireman,  and cloistered nuns and priests.  Now, everyone except the cloistered are eligible.  I'm sure his service was an award winning performance.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Recquieset in pacem.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Chris Fortunato</DIV>