[NEohioPAL]re: Pay/No Pay

JWShofner at aol.com JWShofner at aol.com
Thu Mar 24 06:18:31 PST 2005

-------------------------------1111673911

I am one of the people involved in the discussion at the Got Pay? meeting.  I
am one of the people who argued with Bill Johns about paying actors on indie
film projects. I have a little more to say.

First, the distinction between working for a profitable company and doing
nonprofit theater or independent film was made right away, as soon as the
evening started. I don't think anyone wants actors to start demanding money from
people who "don't have the budget", and aren't making money from the  project.

That said, I asked my questions to raise some distinctions between motives.
I stand ready to help anyone with their first film. I'll make coffee, run
errands, and I hold a mean mike boom. Ask around and you'll find several
first-time filmmakers who will tell you that I was on their projects whenever  asked,
and not paid. I'll act for anyone's short. A short film is a great way  for
beginning filmmakers and actors to get noticed. There's a guy here in town
who's an absolute genius with film, and I'll come act for him just to see him
work any day.

What I won't do anymore - and I made this decision months before attending
Got Pay? - is act in trailers or features for free. If your project is worth
making a feature film, it is worth doing the legwork and finding investors,
hiring professional crew, and paying everyone. I don't necessarily mean union
scale, but something more than "Copy, credit, and meals".

Making a trailer to sell a movie is something I've never seen work. Anyone
can make a trailer. I don't think producers, distributors, or investors are
impressed by trailers. Making a trailer that isn't as good as the final movie
project is sabotaging your own project. Make a trailer when you have a movie in
 the can.

I've done 9 films in the past year and a half. I've been an extra, and a
principal. I've had no lines, and over a hundred pages of dialogue. Most of the
projects I've done aren't finished, but I'll bet.. well, my career! ...that I
know which ones are going to make money. And guess what- they're the ones I
was  paid to do. I know which projects I learned more working on.

I don't mean to suggest that everyone ask for pay on every job. But when  you
aren't paid, you should watch out. When that trailer gets made into a
feature, tell me whether you got your part again, or whether it was given to
someone "worth" paying. Tell me if it even gets made.

Let's hear from people who make their living by acting -be honest- and see
how many got a paying part being seen in a feature or trailer they did for
free.

Wes Shofner
JWShofner at aol.com

-------------------------------1111673911

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1479" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
Arial"=20
e_document=20
face=3DArial color=3D#000000 size=3D2>
<DIV>I am one of the people involved in the discussion at the Got Pay? meeti=
ng.=20
I am one of the people who argued with Bill Johns about paying actors on ind=
ie=20
film projects. I have a little more to say.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>First, the distinction between working for a profitable company and doi=
ng=20
nonprofit theater or independent film was made right away, as soon as the=20
evening started. I don't think anyone wants actors to start demanding money=20=
from=20
people who "don't have the budget", and aren't making money from the=20
project.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>That said, I asked my questions to raise some distinctions between moti=
ves.=20
I stand ready to help anyone with their first film. I'll make coffee, run=20
errands, and I hold a mean mike boom. Ask around and you'll find several=20
first-time filmmakers who will tell you that I was on their projects wheneve=
r=20
asked, and not paid. I'll act for anyone's short. A short film is a great wa=
y=20
for beginning filmmakers and actors to get noticed. There's a guy here in to=
wn=20
who's an absolute genius with film, and I'll come act for him just to see hi=
m=20
work any day.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>What I won't do anymore - and I made this decision months before attend=
ing=20
Got Pay? - is act in trailers or features for free. If your project is worth=
=20
making a feature film, it is worth doing the legwork and finding investors,=20
hiring professional crew, and paying everyone. I don't necessarily mean unio=
n=20
scale, but something more than "Copy, credit, and meals".</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Making a trailer to sell a movie is something I've never seen work. Any=
one=20
can make a trailer. I don't think producers, distributors, or investors are=20
impressed by trailers. Making a trailer that isn't as good as the final movi=
e=20
project is sabotaging your own project. Make a trailer when you have a movie=
 in=20
the can.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I've done 9 films in the past year and a half. I've been an extra, and=20=
a=20
principal. I've had no lines, and over a hundred pages of dialogue. Most of=20=
the=20
projects I've done aren't finished, but I'll bet.. well, my career! ...that=20=
I=20
know which ones are going to make money. And guess what- they're the ones I=20=
was=20
paid to do. I know which projects I learned more working on.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I don't mean to suggest that everyone ask for pay on every job. But whe=
n=20
you aren't paid, you should watch out. When that trailer gets made into a=20
feature, tell me whether you got your part again, or whether it was given to=
=20
someone "worth" paying. Tell me if it even gets made.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Let's hear from people who make their living by acting -be honest- and=20=
see=20
how many got a paying part being seen in a feature or trailer they did for=20
free.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Wes Shofner</DIV>
<DIV>JWShofner at aol.com</DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML>