[NEohioPAL]Pay vs.no pay

Randy Noah noahs at neo.rr.com
Thu Mar 24 13:27:43 PST 2005

    In regard to the debate over pay vs. no pay I would have to say that
common sense can go a long way here. My 15 year old daughter worked on a
local film for copy and credit and she was glad to do so because it gave
her experience off the stage and in front of a camera. She got a better
education in one day than she would have gotten in a week at a acting
camp, We all knew from the start that the filmmaker will be lucky to
ever make back his expenses, but all was done with a good spirit and in
good faith and that good faith is very important.
    If my daughter was going to do anything related to broadcast or
cable media though we would demand pay. I was a TV Director for 22 years
and know first hand that TV stations are big cash cows for their owners,
literally making millions in profits , even on a local basis.Yet these
owners would often pay production assistants less than they would make
at McDonalds because they knew these young people were hungry to get
into the business. Sound familiar? TV, Radio, cable, print ads and
promotions all can pay and they should.
    If the production is for commercial purposes, people should get
paid. Anything else should be done with a good spirit and good faith
between all involved.
    Thanks Fred for your list and your good work.