[NEohioPAL]Further on PAY and another topic to make the blood boil

Richard B icatfishman at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 25 11:48:53 PST 2005

So,

Having watched the post meeting discussion heat up I
have a question. Since there seems to be a position
held by a number of folks that unionization is the way
to go, does this mean that art is the end product and
artists are actually tradesmen?

Collective bargaining is supposed to be an equalizer
so does this mean that all "artists" are equal? Does
this mean that JLO has a comparable worth to Gwyneth
Paltrow or Twyla Tharp comparable to Paula Abdul?

This is a meaty issue that is relevant in any
discussion of compensation or for that matter art in
general.

I have been a member of several performing arts
associated unions including AE as well as Teamsters
and I think the entire universe of collective
bargaining and "task performed" is very askew.

Comments please