[NEohioPAL]Got Pay Meeting-Another opinion

Tom Fulton tfulton at jcu.edu
Thu Mar 24 06:42:18 PST 2005

------=_NextPart_000_002F_01C53055.CB350490

Well, I'm going to chime in.

At issue is the difference between being asked to provide your talent for
the profit and benefit for another without compensation  -- AND -- being
asked to participate in a project where everyone benefits - pay or no pay.

To work for nothing, to receive nothing when the producer alone profits,
that is theft and exploitation.

At the same time, I might suggest that intention is everything.  Benefits
come in many shapes and sizes.  Even Actor's Equity Association provides the
'members project code' to give union actors an opportunity to work with
colleagues without benefit of a contract - even the union recognizes the
need for artistic exploration, growth, and a forum to showcase our talents.

We have to first assess the value of the project and the integrity of the
producer.  I would never wish to see Independent film makers or directors or
actors or other theatre artists be discouraged from their own 'projects'
simply on the basis of insufficient funds.  Good god!  If many of us had
followed that philosophy, the theatre movement in Cleveland would be nearly
nonexistent.  In New York, the Group Theatre would never have been formed.
Clifford Odets would never have been produced. Lee Strasberg, Uta Hagen,
Stella Adler would never have had the laboratory in which to develop their
theories of acting and influence several generations of theatre artists.
They lived on peanut butter and sweat for many years.

The course of a acting career "never did run smooth.".  When we work, we
work.  Our value is in the doing.  The growth is in the discipline and
commitment to the project. The value of the project should be the first
consideration..  If we are asked to work for no salary, then we should ask:
if I don't get the cash, will there be payback anyway?  Will I grow? Will I
be challenged?  Will I feel proud of the labor?

I've never met an actor yet, myself included, with professional expectations
that didn't need to work out, sometimes in a seedy little gym, for no pay,
to have any hope of becoming the million dollar baby.

And, I might suggest, the responsibility is ours.  I try to work for what I
value - on all levels, including knowledge, experience, challenge, AND, when
appropriate, financial remuneration.  I've never been mugged.

Tom Fulton

  _____