[NEohioPAL]Charenton Announces Artistic Director

Charenton Theater Company mindy at charenton.org
Thu Apr 7 14:04:08 PDT 2005

CHARENTON THEATER COMPANY ANNOUNCES ARTISTIC DIRECTOR

Charenton Theater Company, Cleveland's premiere small theater, is proud
to announce the appointment of Jacqi Loewy as Artistic Director.

Best known for touring productions to new and innovative spaces
including parks, bars and cemeteries, few companies can boast
Charenton's early success.  "We have made it past the crucial five-year
mark and are excited to continue producing high-quality, accessible
theater in the coming seasons.  With Jacqi's leadership, we are
confident that Charenton will remain a vital part of Cleveland's theater
community," says Producing Director Mindy Childress. "Jacqi's energy and
experience are a perfect fit for the company."

"I have a tremendous amount of passion for this company's work.  Having
directed Look Back In Anger and been onstage in Six Degrees of
Separation, Charenton feels like home to me," says Loewy. "I love the
commitment to local artists and Charenton's philosophy that theatre is
for everyone, regardless of income."

Loewy, one of the area's most well respected freelance theatre artists,
originally hails from New York City where she worked as an actress,
choreographer and television producer until relocating to Ohio in the
mid-nineties.  She earned a masters degree in directing at Akron
University and has since worked in several capacities at many of
Cleveland's theatres.

Local direction includes Faye Sholiton's V-E Day at Dobama and The
Cleveland Play House Next Stage Festival, Berlin To Broadway and The
Fantasticks at Lyric Opera Cleveland, The Eight: Reindeer Monologues at
Cleveland Public Theatre, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat
at The Halle JCC, The Laramie Project and Proof at Weathervane and
Speed-The-Plow at Akron University.  Currently touring is Mr. Lewis
Rules: Stories From The Juvenile Justice System, which Ms. Loewy
conceived and directed.

Loewy was the Artistic Supervisor and Production Stage Manager for
Cleveland's longest-running show, Tony n' Tina's Wedding at Playhouse
Square.  Other stage management credits include several shows at
Carousel Dinner Theater, Bad Dates at the Sandusky State Theatre and
Triple Espresso at the Hanna. Formerly Cleveland Shakespeare Festival's
Education Director, she has also taught at Case, Akron University, Lake
Erie College, Second City and the Beck Conservatory.

As an actress, Ms. Loewy's credits range from Broadway to local
professional venues.  She was in Shear Madness at Playhouse Square,
Always, Patsy Cline at the Hanna, Dames at Sea at Porthouse and Sarah
Morton's Safety at Dobama. With many TV and radio commercials to her
credit, she is represented by The Docherty Agency.

Loewy states, "We have many ideas to continue and expand what has become
Charenton's trademark – quality theatre in interesting venues. We are
working on plans for a late spring production as well as the summer
tour. We already have some of Cleveland's most exciting actors lined up
to work with Charenton!"

# # #

For more information or to schedule an interview, please contact Mindy
Childress at 216-990-2665 or mindy at charenton.org

Mindy Childress
Producing Director
Charenton Theater Company