[NEohioPAL]PAYPAL warning--Helpful Suggestion

Dinah Mitchell dinahmitchell at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 6 15:32:59 PDT 2005

--0-407373742-1112826779=:1337

Phishing is one of the top 10 internet scams right now. Theives send emails out to large lists with the same message, similar to the paypal one. They are posing as major banks, mortgage brokers, etc--mostly nationwide/worldwide companies because they'll have more of a chance of someone taking the bait. Don't ever give personal info out over email, even to your own bank. Call and ask them, if an email seems legit. Here are more scams to be wary of:

Cleveland Plain Dealer article (on Cleveland.com): Internet Scams Growing In Mischief - http://www.cleveland.com/search/index.ssf?/base/business/1106821935306090.xml?bcdea

Federal law now requires the top 3 credit bureaus (Equifax, Trans Union and another I can't think of--combined) to offer one free credit report per year to every consumer. I suggest everyone do it. Bill especially, because his personal info is out there now.

Go to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC)'s website (www.ftc.gov) and search for the info for the free credit report. Use the phone number to get the report, not the website. It's safer.

Bill <cinevid at yahoo.com> wrote:
I know it was dumb in retrospect, but the link said PayPal.com and it sounded so official.

I was told I needed to update my registration info because a fraudelant use of my account was attempted and it left me restricted.

To regain full use, I filled out all the usual stuff and even though a red flag went up when they asked for my pin number, I thought for sure it was a secure server and that I was indeed sending the info to PayPal.

WRONG... or at least if it was PayPal, someone there is a crook.

It was probably someone at PayPal though because they offer credit cards, so someone simply made a debit card with my account info and used it at a couple ATMs and took all my money!!!

Luckily the bank is re-imbursing me, but I guess you can't trust anyone.

Burned but wiser,
Bill Johns

--0-407373742-1112826779=:1337

<DIV>Phishing is one of the top 10 internet scams right now. Theives send emails out to large lists with the same message, similar to the paypal one. They are posing as major banks, mortgage brokers, etc--mostly nationwide/worldwide companies because they'll have more of a chance of someone taking the bait. Don't ever give personal info out over email, even to your own bank. Call and ask them, if an email seems legit. Here are more scams to be wary of:</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Cleveland Plain Dealer article (on Cleveland.com): Internet Scams Growing In Mischief - <A href="http://www.cleveland.com/search/index.ssf?/base/business/1106821935306090.xml?bcdea">http://www.cleveland.com/search/index.ssf?/base/business/1106821935306090.xml?bcdea</A></DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Federal law now requires the top 3 credit bureaus (Equifax, Trans Union and another I can't think of--combined) to offer one free credit report per year to every consumer. I suggest everyone do it. Bill especially, because his personal info is out there now. </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Go to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC)'s website (<A href="http://www.ftc.gov/">www.ftc.gov</A>) and search for the info for the free credit report. Use the phone number to get the report, not the website. It's safer.<BR><BR><BR><B><I>Bill <cinevid at yahoo.com></I></B> wrote:</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE class=replbq style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid">
<DIV>
<DIV>I know it was dumb in retrospect, but the link said PayPal.com and it sounded so official.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I was told I needed to update my registration info because a fraudelant use of my account was attempted and it left me restricted.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>To regain full use, I filled out all the usual stuff and even though a red flag went up when they asked for my pin number, I thought for sure it was a secure server and that I was indeed sending the info to PayPal.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>WRONG... or at least if it was PayPal, someone there is a crook.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>It was probably someone at PayPal though because they offer credit cards, so someone simply made a debit card with my account info and used it at a couple ATMs and took all my money!!!</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Luckily the bank is re-imbursing me, but I guess you can't trust anyone.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Burned but wiser,</DIV>
<DIV>Bill Johns</DIV></DIV>
<P>__________________________________________________<BR>Do You Yahoo!?<BR>Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around <BR>http://mail.yahoo.com </P></BLOCKQUOTE><p>