[NEohioPAL]Great concerts this weekend

The Kent Stage wrfaa at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 13 18:48:14 PDT 2005

--0-20549106-1113443294=:12280

Busy weekend at The Kent Stage
New Grass Revival founder,
Beatles tribute band, and
Leo Kottke

John Cowan Band at The Kent Stage April 14th
New Grass Revival Singer with New Band

One of the purest voices in music will visit Kent this Thursday when former Stow resident, John Cowan brings his new band to The Kent Stage.

The show starts at 8 p.m. and tickets are on sale now.

Most bluegrass and Americana listeners are familiar with Cowan from his stint as the bassist and lead singer of the legendary band New Grass Revival with Sam Bush, Bela Fleck and Pat Flynn. During the 1980s and early 1990s the band led the way when it came to putting the high-energy picking of bluegrass into a modern rock and roll setting.

After his tenure with New Grass Revival, Cowan has taken on several different musical projects and has recorded three solo albums on the Sugar Hill Record label.

The current lineup of the John Cowan Band features Wayne Benson on mandolin, Noam Pikelny (formerly of Leftover Salmon) on banjo, Jeff Autry on guitar and fiddle champion Luke Bulla on fiddle.

The new band is currently touring in support of a brand new live album and is also playing songs that Cowan sang on the highly acclaimed album Moody Bluegrass: A Nashville Tribute to the Moody Blues. The record has been in the top ten of the Billboard Bluegrass Charts for the past three months.

“It has taken me a long time to finally arrive at this place both musically and personally,” said Cowan in a recent interview. “Three years ago I went on the road with some extraordinary acoustic players and realized that this is what I should do. I’d run away from a legacy of sixteen years with New Grass Revival for so long. And I finally realized that for some reason me singing with these instruments makes sense.

“The guys I play with are so amazing they write they own songs and bring so many things to the table, quite frankly. Some of their stuff is really hard to play. I look forward to writing, having and playing new songs.

“I could just hire a picker to play, but this is a band in the true sense.”

Hard Day's Night to play on Tax Day

HARD DAYS NIGHT
Beatles Tribute Band

Friday, April 15
8:00 PM

Imagine a trip back into time when things were a bit less complicated. A time that saw four lads from Liverpool, England create both a musical and social revolution that affects our very lives today. HARD DAY'S NIGHT will take you on this nostalgic and exciting journey!

There will never be another Beatles. HARD DAY'S NIGHT respects this fact and holds it in the highest regard while performing their live shows. Each member of the band holds the Beatle member they portray in "hero" status and are committed to accurately and enthusiastically reproducing the Beatles experience.

HARD DAY'S NIGHT is one of the premier Beatle tribute bands of our time. The mission of these four lads is not to recreate the recorded studio sound, but with their vintage instruments and "on stage banter", they will recreate all of the excitement of a real live Beatles concert. It was the year 1964, and Beatlemania took the world by storm.

With HARD DAY'S NIGHT, get ready to experience this magic all over again, or for the very first time.

One of the World's Greatest Guitarists performs on Saturday

AN EVENING WITH
LEO KOTTKE

Saturday, April 16
8:00 PM

Leo Kottke, one of the most important and influential acoustic steel-string fingerstyle guitarists of the 20th century, has had a prolific career, delivering 19 studio records, four live records, six compilations and at least four movie soundtracks. He has jammed and recorded with a wide range of musicians, from Chet Atkins to Procul Harum to the Violent Femmes. He has won the Guitar Player magazine annual readers poll as best folk guitarist for four years in a row, from 1974 to 1978. Leo has also influenced an entire generation of acoustic guitarists — including such fingerstyle innovators as the late, great Michael Hedges, Preston Reed, Peppino D'Agostino and Don Ross, to name just a few. Given these accomplishments and the general accessibility of his music, it is unbelievable and almost tragic that relatively so few members of the general public have heard of him.

In the more than 25 years that Leo has been composing, arranging and playing guitar music, his style has evolved from the blindingly fast and aggressive to the rhythmically delicate and intricate. He is always reinventing and reinterpreting his own music and that of others. While you'll usually find Leo in the "folk" section of your record store, or sometimes in the "new age" section and rarely in the "jazz" section, his music is in fact all and none of these: it is simply "Leo."

But Leo Kottke is not just a remarkable guitarist, songwriter and arranger. He also has a rich baritone singing voice, often underrated or dismissed by those used to the top-40 tenor strains of a Van Morrison or a Sting. Yet for a song like Paul Siebel's tenderly tragic "Louise," or for Leo's own vocal compositions and spoken poems set to guitar, a more appropriate vocal timbre is hard to imagine. What's more, Leo is not just an amazing guitarist and singer-songwriter. He also has a capacious sense of humour that can be heard in his lyrics and experienced in his concert performances. Although off-beat and occasionally bizarre, his humour is as much a part of his style as is his guitar.

The Kent Stage is located at 175 East Main Street in downtown Kent, Ohio.  There is FREE parking behind the theater and on all city streets.  Advance tickets are available at Woodsy's Music and Spin-More Records in Kent, Little Mountain Music in Middlefield at www.kentstage.org or at 330-677-5005.  Tickets will also be available at the door.  Doors open one hour before event time.  If you have any questions, please call 330-677-5005

--0-20549106-1113443294=:12280

<DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV align=center><STRONG><FONT size=6>Busy weekend at The Kent Stage</FONT></STRONG></DIV>
<DIV align=center><FONT size=4>New Grass Revival founder,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV align=center><FONT size=4>Beatles tribute band, and</FONT></DIV>
<DIV align=center><FONT size=4>Leo Kottke</FONT></DIV>
<P><FONT size=5><STRONG>John Cowan Band</STRONG> at The Kent Stage April 14th</FONT><BR><FONT size=3>New Grass Revival Singer with New Band</FONT><BR><I><BR></I><BR>One of the purest voices in music will visit Kent this Thursday when former Stow resident, John Cowan brings his new band to The Kent Stage. </P>
<P align=right> </P>
<P>The show starts at 8 p.m. and tickets are on sale now. <BR><BR>Most bluegrass and Americana listeners are familiar with Cowan from his stint as the bassist and lead singer of the legendary band New Grass Revival with Sam Bush, Bela Fleck and Pat Flynn. During the 1980s and early 1990s the band led the way when it came to putting the high-energy picking of bluegrass into a modern rock and roll setting. <BR><BR>After his tenure with New Grass Revival, Cowan has taken on several different musical projects and has recorded three solo albums on the Sugar Hill Record label. <BR><BR>The current lineup of the John Cowan Band features Wayne Benson on mandolin, Noam Pikelny (formerly of Leftover Salmon) on banjo, Jeff Autry on guitar and fiddle champion Luke Bulla on fiddle. <BR><BR>The new band is currently touring in support of a brand new live album and is also playing songs that Cowan sang on the highly acclaimed album Moody Bluegrass: A Nashville Tribute to the Moody Blues. The
 record has been in the top ten of the Billboard Bluegrass Charts for the past three months. <BR><BR></P>
<P>
<TABLE cellSpacing=10 cellPadding=10 width=200 align=left border=0>
<TBODY>
<TR>
<TD bgColor=#e7e7dc></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></P>
<P>“It has taken me a long time to finally arrive at this place both musically and personally,” said Cowan in a recent interview. “Three years ago I went on the road with some extraordinary acoustic players and realized that this is what I should do. I’d run away from a legacy of sixteen years with New Grass Revival for so long. And I finally realized that for some reason me singing with these instruments makes sense.<BR><BR>“The guys I play with are so amazing they write they own songs and bring so many things to the table, quite frankly. Some of their stuff is really hard to play. I look forward to writing, having and playing new songs. <BR><BR>“I could just hire a picker to play, but this is a band in the true sense.”  </P>
<P><FONT color=#111111 size=4></FONT> </P>
<P align=center><FONT color=#111111 size=5>Hard Day's Night to play on Tax Day</FONT></P>
<P align=left><B><FONT size=+3>HARD DAYS NIGHT</FONT><FONT size=+2><BR><FONT size=+1><I>Beatles Tribute Band</I></FONT> <BR></FONT></B></P>
<P align=left><B>Friday, April 15<BR>8:00 PM</B></P><FONT color=#111111 size=4>
<P>
<TABLE cellSpacing=5 width="100%" bgColor=#ffffff>
<TBODY>
<TR>
<TD class=dataLbl vAlign=top align=left>
<P align=left>Imagine a trip back into time when things were a bit less complicated. A time that saw four lads from Liverpool, England create both a musical and social revolution that affects our very lives today. HARD DAY'S NIGHT will take you on this nostalgic and exciting journey! </P>
<P align=left>There will never be another Beatles. HARD DAY'S NIGHT respects this fact and holds it in the highest regard while performing their live shows. Each member of the band holds the Beatle member they portray in "hero" status and are committed to accurately and enthusiastically reproducing the Beatles experience. </P>
<P align=left>HARD DAY'S NIGHT is one of the premier Beatle tribute bands of our time. The mission of these four lads is not to recreate the recorded studio sound, but with their vintage instruments and "on stage banter", they will recreate all of the excitement of a real live Beatles concert. It was the year 1964, and Beatlemania took the world by storm. </P>
<P align=left>With HARD DAY'S NIGHT, get ready to experience this magic all over again, or for the very first time.</P>
<P align=left><B><A href="http://www.ticketweb.com/user/?region=oh&query=schedule&venue=kentstage" target=_blank></A></B></P>
<P align=right> </P></TD>
<TD class=dataLbl vAlign=top align=left>
<DIV align=center>
<P> </P>
<P> </P>
<P> </P>
<P> </P>
<P> </P>
<P><BR> </P></DIV></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></P></FONT>
<P> </P><FONT color=#111111></FONT>
<DIV><FONT size=4><FONT color=#111111><STRONG>One of the World's Greatest Guitarists performs on Saturday</STRONG></FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=4><STRONG><FONT color=#111111></FONT></STRONG>
<P align=left><B><FONT size=+3>AN EVENING WITH <BR>LEO KOTTKE</FONT><FONT size=+2><BR></FONT></B></P>
<P align=left><B>Saturday, April 16<BR>8:00 PM</B><BR> </FONT></P></DIV>
<DIV>
<TABLE cellSpacing=5 width="100%" bgColor=#ffffff>
<TBODY>
<TR>
<TD class=dataLbl vAlign=top align=left>
<P align=left>Leo Kottke, one of the most important and influential acoustic steel-string fingerstyle guitarists of the 20th century, has had a prolific career, delivering 19 studio records, four live records, six compilations and at least four movie soundtracks. He has jammed and recorded with a wide range of musicians, from Chet Atkins to Procul Harum to the Violent Femmes. He has won the Guitar Player magazine annual readers poll as best folk guitarist for four years in a row, from 1974 to 1978. Leo has also influenced an entire generation of acoustic guitarists — including such fingerstyle innovators as the late, great Michael Hedges, Preston Reed, Peppino D'Agostino and Don Ross, to name just a few. Given these accomplishments and the general accessibility of his music, it is unbelievable and almost tragic that relatively so few members of the general public have heard of him.</P>
<P align=left>In the more than 25 years that Leo has been composing, arranging and playing guitar music, his style has evolved from the blindingly fast and aggressive to the rhythmically delicate and intricate. He is always reinventing and reinterpreting his own music and that of others. While you'll usually find Leo in the "folk" section of your record store, or sometimes in the "new age" section and rarely in the "jazz" section, his music is in fact all and none of these: it is simply "Leo."</P>
<P align=left>But Leo Kottke is not just a remarkable guitarist, songwriter and arranger. He also has a rich baritone singing voice, often underrated or dismissed by those used to the top-40 tenor strains of a Van Morrison or a Sting. Yet for a song like Paul Siebel's tenderly tragic "Louise," or for Leo's own vocal compositions and spoken poems set to guitar, a more appropriate vocal timbre is hard to imagine. What's more, Leo is not just an amazing guitarist and singer-songwriter. He also has a capacious sense of humour that can be heard in his lyrics and experienced in his concert performances. Although off-beat and occasionally bizarre, his humour is as much a part of his style as is his guitar.</P>
<P align=left><STRONG><FONT color=#111111>The Kent Stage is located at 175 East Main Street in downtown Kent, Ohio.  There is FREE parking behind the theater and on all city streets.  </FONT><FONT color=#111111>Advance tickets are available at Woodsy's Music and Spin-More Records in Kent, Little Mountain Music in Middlefield at </FONT></STRONG><A href="http://www.kentstage.org/" target=_blank><FONT color=#111111><STRONG>www.kentstage.org</STRONG></FONT></A><FONT size=3><FONT color=#111111><STRONG><FONT color=#111111> <FONT size=2>or at 330-677-5005.  <FONT color=#111111>Tickets will also</FONT></FONT></FONT><FONT size=2><FONT color=#111111> be available at the door.  Doors</FONT> open one hour before event time.  If you have any questions, please call 330-677-5005</FONT></STRONG></FONT></FONT></P>
<P align=right> </P></TD>
<TD class=normal vAlign=top>
<P align=right></P>
<P align=center> </P>
<P align=center> </P>
<P align=center> </P>
<P align=center> </P></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV>
<P></P></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV><p>
		<hr size=1>Do you Yahoo!?<br>
Yahoo! Small Business - <a href="http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=31637/*http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/resources/">Try our new resources site!</a>
--0-20549106-1113443294=:12280--