[NEohioPAL]Female reviewer sees "Bad Dates" (and Dobama)

hlewelle at bw.edu hlewelle at bw.edu
Mon May 2 10:57:21 PDT 2005

Having read Roy Berko's review of CPH's "Bad Dates" as well as Tony
Brown's, I'd like to say that, as a female, I found the show very funny
and loved little touches that felt very familiar, like throwing clothes on
the floor while trying to find the perfect outfit or the preferred way of
applyng perfume.

Having lived in Manhattan as a single female (albeit many years in the
past) I also related to the set reminding us of all the identical
apartments above and below.  And there was no sign of sunlight until the
final scene.  Slight caveat: While it's true you can't have too many pairs
of shoes, I don't think a New York apartment can really allow for all the
boxes to be kept as well.  Still, I was sympathetic to the character's
predicament throughout.  The plot, though quirky, was believable and the
acting superb, although the ending came  suddenly.

I saw the show in previews, and I was alone.  As I walked to the car
afterward, I wondered how my husband would  have reacted to the show, and
I suspect it might have been the same way that Roy and Tony did.  I'd like
to hear the reaction of other female reviewers.

While I'm at it, let me just add that I saw Dobama's "Ten Minutes from
Cleveland" yesterday and almost fell out of my chair laughing.  The 6
actors are phenomenal taking on up to 10 different characters and making
them all real and unique.  Last weekend coming up so go see it.

Hester Lewellen