[NEohioPAL]Berko review: THE SECRETARIES (CPT), DANCE CLEVELAND 05-06 SEASON

Roy Berko royberko at yahoo.com
Sun May 15 17:39:10 PDT 2005

‘THE SECRETARIES’--GOOD PRODUCTION QUALITIES, BAD PLAY
AT CPT; DANCE CLEVELAND ANNOUNCES 05-06 SEASON

Roy Berko

(Member, American Theatre Critics Association, Dance
Critics Association)

--THE TIMES NEWSPAPERS--

Lorain County Times--Westlaker Times--Lakewood News
Times--Olmsted-Fairview Times

Every once in a while I see a theatrical production
that evokes many questions.  The Five Lesbian
Brothers’ play ‘THE SECRETARIES,’ now on stage at
Cleveland Public Theatre is such an offering.  As I
watched the play, and on the way home, I was filled
with inquiries.  My mind probed to find answers to
“Why did CPT pick such a script?”  “What inspired the
authors to write such a piece?”  “Why would a talented
cast and an equally talented director want to spend
their time presenting that material to an audience?”

As you can tell, I am not a big fan of the play.  In
fact, I come close to agreeing with a fellow playgoer
who stated on the way out, “That was the worst play
I’ve ever seen.”  Well, not quite the worst play,
because the production was actually quite good, but it
did come close to being one of the worst scripts.
I’m not alone in that opinion.  A New York review
stated that the play grossed out the audience within
the first five minutes of the show.

Who are the Five Lesbian Brothers?  They are Maureen
Angelos, Babs Davy, Dominique Dibbell, Peg Healey, and
Lisa Kron, a group of actresses and playwrights .
Their stated purpose in writing and performing is to
promote affirmation of lesbianism through hilarious
plays.

Before I go any further....the play did win the Obie
Award in 1995.  I’m not sure what the criteria or the
competition was, but there must have been something
that brought about that recognition.  So, I turned to
an expert on the subject.   A Cornell University
Professor who used the play as part of her
dissertation on the radical lesbian movement may have
some clues.  She indicates that “by focusing on
violent acts perpetrated by women, rather than violent
acts suffered by or inflicted upon women, this work
examines the ways in which bodily injury serves as
both an indicator of and a response to political and
institutionalized oppression.”

She comments that  “The Five Lesbian Brothers’
‘SECRETARIES’ underscores the fact that terrorism is
primarily an aesthetic phenomenon, a political
performance, and that the most powerful weapon is
“camp.”  From their sexy publicity posters, such as
the bikini-clad, gun toting, afro-sporting “We
Recruit” revolutionary, to their mass public kiss-ins,
the Lesbian Avengers understand the erotics of
resistance.”

Randy Rollison and his cast all do their best with
what they’ve got.  Rollison paces the production well,
has his characters go over the top in order to wring
all the intended  comedy and pathos from the script.

Ali Hernan makes for one wicked tyrant, complete with
costumes right out of the Victoria Secrets meets porno
leather shop.  Liz Conway transforms from sweet
innocent to blood thirsty monster with a vengeance.
Meg Chamberlain’s portrayal of a lesbian and a
lumberjack were convincing.  Sheffia Randall plots and
schemes with purpose.  Denise Astorino chows down like
food is going out of fashion.

Trad Burns scenic and light designs are excellent,
Esther Montgomery’s costumes help create the proper
images.

CAPSULE JUDGEMENT:  My hang-up with the play is not
the lesbian activity, the simulated sex or subject
matter.  The bottom line is I found the script neither
funny nor edifying.  The tepid applause at the
conclusion of the production seemed to indicate the
audience was watching with the same eyes as I was, but
maybe you might not.

“THE SECRETARIES’ runs through June 4 at Cleveland
Public Theatre.  For reservations call 216-631-2727.

Upcoming productions at CPT are TITLEWave Theatre’s
STONE COLD DEAD by Adam Rapp from June 1-18 and
‘NOCTURNE’ a solo piece featuring Dan Kilbane,
directed by Jyana S. Gregory from June 5-15.

DANCE CLEVELAND ANNOUNCED 2005-2006 SEASON

After a very, very successful season, which included a
fantastic closing production featuring the wonderful
PAUL TAYLOR DANCE COMPANY, Dance Cleveland has
announced its upcoming season.

The group will celebrate its 50th Anniversary with a
season that is “filled with celebration and focuses on
the intersection of dance with culture, visual art,
technology urban life and history.”

The productions will include:  Illstyle + Peace
Productions, Friday, July 22 at Cain Park; Jose Limon
Dance Company, State Theatre, September 24;  Bebe
Miller Company, November 5, Ohio Theatre; Garth Fagan
Dance, February 25, Ohio Theatre; and Alvin Ailey
American Dance Theater, April 7-8, Palace Theatre.

For subscription and general information call
440-914-0744 or visit www.dancecleveland.org.