[NEohioPAL]Celebrating a Great Performance -TheActorsList

David Lewis wham_petro at hotmail.com
Thu May 26 19:05:37 PDT 2005

From: Linda Eisenstein

I had one of those rare moments the other day.  I saw a local actor give a
once-in-a-lifetime performance.  It was even more unusual, in that the
performance was in a new play which still needed work.

The play is called TO KNOW HIM, a drama by Albi Gorn about an AIDS patient
and a female rabbinical student who comes to visit him.  They argue
religion, talk about old movies, and ultimately shes tries to get him to
reconcile with his estranged father.  The incredibly riveting performance
was by Brian Zoldessy, who so inhabited the role with every breath,
movement, look, gesture, and action that I will likely remember it to the
end of my life.

Brian himself had a severely life-threatening illness earlier this
year--where he was in and out of the hospital for a good 4 months.  His
experience clearly shaped how he handled the role.  With painstaking
physical work-- from the smallest details, like putting lotion on his
leg--Zoldessy showed exhaustion, anger, pain, and spiritual despair.  No one
could take their eyes off him.

It reminded me how one can't really judge a script until it is fully
incarnated.  I would have dismissed this play as predictable and way too
talky had I read a draft.  But with this textured, loving performance
fueling it, it ended up being deeply moving.

I just wanted to celebrate a wonderful performance!

Linda Eisenstien
TheActorsList at yahoogroups.com