[NEohioPAL]Preview of M. Mothersbaugh Work Friday

Standing Rock Cultural Arts info at standingrock.net
Mon Aug 15 07:44:11 PDT 2005

--MS_Mac_OE_3206947451_158572_MIME_Part

Greetings,

Because of the large amount of inquiry, we have decided to offer a Preview
of the "Beautiful Mutants" of Mark Mothersbaugh at the North Water Street
Gallery on Friday, August 19th.

Those interested should register by sending an e-mail to
info at standingrock.net or calling Jeff at 330-673-4970 by Thursday, August
18th.

WHO:  Standing Rock Cultural Arts

WHAT:  Preview of "Beautiful Mutants",  Archival Prints by Mark Mothersbaug=
of DEVO

WHEN:  Friday, 6-8pm.
-Public Opening Reception to Follow from 8-11pm.

WHERE:  North Water Street Gallery, 257 N. Water Street, Kent, Ohio

REGISTRATION:  reply to info at standingrock.net.
-Use "Preview of Beautiful Mutants" as subject heading
-or call 330-673-4970 by August 18th
-limited to first 20 people

Cost:  $5.00

We recently received word from Mark Mothersbaugh's Agent that he is
considering making an appearance at the Gallery this Friday for the Opening=
.
We surely hope this occurs as we are honored to celebrate this local legend
here in Kent.

Updates:  www.standingrock.net

Thank you for your time and consideration,

Jeff Ingram/Executive Director
Standing Rock Cultural Arts
257 N. Water St.
Kent, OH 44240
330-673-4970
www.standingrock.net
info at standingrock.net

Beautiful Mutants:
http://www.mutatovisual.com/gallery.html#bm

Images pulled from man's past,
then corrected into sickeningly beautiful beings.

Photo manipulations & illustrations =80 Archival Prints, Photos, Originals.
Mark's love of art started early in his childhood, just after it was
discovered that he was extremely nearsighted and legally blind.

His first correctional glasses offered Mark a new view of the world,
inspiring his obsession with imagery and illustrations. His first works,
which he began creating in the late 1960's and into the 70's, consisted of
many different mediums, including rubber stamp designs, ink illustrations,
screen printing, decals, and mail art. He participated in local showings,
and received recognition for his work in his hometown of Akron, Ohio.

Now Mark will embark on his BEAUTIFUL MUTANTS tour in
2005, which will showcase his photographic symmetrical
creations and 'corrected' imagery. See you there...

Symmetry

Rorschach=B9s patterns, though abstract, suggest different visual images to
each person who views them, and each interpretation is correct.  Objects in
this world are what they are to you because of how you happen to see them.

People are all hiding something.  Many know exactly what that is, while mos=
probably have no idea.  Our asymmetrical exterior hides the true contents i=
each of us.

Aztec Indians built gigantic kaleidoscopic pyramids that focused light from
the sun through complex polished silver mirrors that reflected and flipped
images of humans onto walls, giving rise to the celebration of a quest for
true symmetry in their lives.

In the 18oo=B9s, people would flirt with these ideas and play parlor games
with signatures, paper cuttings, etc.  It was in the early 1900=B9s that
Rorschach and other psychiatrists developed theories and medieval practices
(inverted as it turned out) based on their intuitive hunches regarding the
symmetry and internal workings of man.  Humans, great pretenders to
bi-lateral symmetry, are in actuality, closer to potatoes in their lack of
precise symmetry.

A closer look reveals what is truly inside the people around us.
The photographs in this show were corrected in order to examine those who
have walked the planet before us.  Theoretically symmetrical in
generalities, the subtle potatoe-like qualities of the human form allow the
tenants of those bodies to hide within their asymmetric muddiness.

These corrected photographic images allow the true tenant of these human
faces and figures to be flushed out and viewed without the disguise that we
all so expertly hide behind.

--MS_Mac_OE_3206947451_158572_MIME_Part

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Preview of M. Mothersbaugh Work Friday</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<B>Greetings,<BR>
<BR>
Because of the large amount of inquiry, we have decided to offer a Preview =
of the "Beautiful Mutants" of Mark Mothersbaugh at the North Water=
 Street Gallery on Friday, August 19th.<BR>
<BR>
Those interested should register by sending an e-mail to info at standingrock.=
net or calling Jeff at 330-673-4970 by Thursday, August 18th.<BR>
<BR>
WHO:  Standing Rock Cultural Arts<BR>
<BR>
WHAT:  Preview of "Beautiful Mutants",  Archival Prints=
 by Mark Mothersbaugh of DEVO<BR>
<BR>
WHEN:  Friday, 6-8pm.<BR>
-Public Opening Reception to Follow from 8-11pm.<BR>
<BR>
WHERE:  North Water Street Gallery, 257 N. Water Street, Kent, Ohio<BR=

<BR>
REGISTRATION:  reply to info at standingrock.net.<BR>
-Use "Preview of Beautiful Mutants" as subject heading<BR>
-or call 330-673-4970 by August 18th<BR>
-limited to first 20 people<BR>
<BR>
Cost:  $5.00<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
We recently received word from Mark Mothersbaugh's Agent that he is conside=
ring making an appearance at the Gallery this Friday for the Opening.  =
We surely hope this occurs as we are honored to celebrate this local legend =
here in Kent.<BR>
<BR>
Updates:  www.standingrock.net<BR>
<BR>
Thank you for your time and consideration,<BR>
<BR>
</B><FONT FACE=3D"Gadget">Jeff Ingram/Executive Director<BR>
Standing Rock Cultural Arts<BR>
257 N. Water St.<BR>
Kent, OH 44240<BR>
330-673-4970<BR>
www.standingrock.net<BR>
<FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF"><U>info at standingrock.net<BR>
<BR>
</U></FONT></FONT><U><FONT FACE=3D"Helvetica"><H3>Beautiful Mutants:<BR>
</H3></FONT><FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF"><FONT SIZE=3D"2"><B>http://www.mutatovisual=
.com/gallery.html#bm<BR>
</B></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Helvetica"><H3><BR>
</H3></FONT></FONT></U><FONT FACE=3D"Helvetica"><H3>Images pulled from man's =
past,<BR>
then corrected into sickeningly beautiful beings.<BR>
<BR>
Photo manipulations & illustrations =80 Archival Prints, Photos, Original=
s.<BR>
Mark's love of art started early in his childhood, just after it was discov=
ered that he was extremely nearsighted and legally blind.<BR>
<BR>
His first correctional glasses offered Mark a new view of the world, inspir=
ing his obsession with imagery and illustrations. His first works, which he =
began creating in the late 1960's and into the 70's, consisted of many diffe=
rent mediums, including rubber stamp designs, ink illustrations, screen prin=
ting, decals, and mail art. He participated in local showings, and received =
recognition for his work in his hometown of Akron, Ohio.<BR>
<BR>
Now Mark will embark on his BEAUTIFUL MUTANTS tour in<BR>
2005, which will showcase his photographic symmetrical<BR>
creations and 'corrected' imagery. See you there...<BR>
</H3><FONT SIZE=3D"4"><BR>
<BR>
</FONT><FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF"><H3><U><BR>
</U></H3></FONT><H3><U>Symmetry<BR>
</U><BR>
Rorschach=B9s patterns, though abstract, suggest different visual images to e=
ach person who views them, and each interpretation is correct.  Objects=
 in this world are what they are to you because of how you happen to see the=
m.<BR>
<BR>
People are all hiding something.  Many know exactly what that is, whil=
e most probably have no idea.  Our asymmetrical exterior hides the true=
 contents in each of us.<BR>
<BR>
Aztec Indians built gigantic kaleidoscopic pyramids that focused light from=
 the sun through complex polished silver mirrors that reflected and flipped =
images of humans onto walls, giving rise to the celebration of a quest for t=
rue symmetry in their lives.<BR>
<BR>
</H3><FONT SIZE=3D"4"><B>In the 18oo=B9s, people would flirt with these ideas a=
nd play parlor games with signatures, paper cuttings, etc.  It was in t=
he early 1900=B9s that Rorschach and other psychiatrists developed theories an=
d medieval practices (inverted as it turned out) based on their intuitive hu=
nches regarding the symmetry and internal workings of man.  Humans, gre=
at pretenders to bi-lateral symmetry, are in actuality, closer to potatoes i=
n their lack of precise symmetry.<BR>
</B></FONT><H3><BR>
A closer look reveals what is truly inside the people around us.<BR>
</H3><FONT SIZE=3D"4"><B>The photographs in this show were corrected in order=
 to examine those who have walked the planet before us.  Theoretically =
symmetrical in generalities, the subtle potatoe-like qualities of the human =
form allow the tenants of those bodies to hide within their asymmetric muddi=
ness.<BR>
</B></FONT><H3><BR>
These corrected photographic images allow the true tenant of these human fa=
ces and figures to be flushed out and viewed without the disguise that we al=
l so expertly hide behind.<BR>
</H3></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Gadget"><BR>
</FONT><B><BR>
</B>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--MS_Mac_OE_3206947451_158572_MIME_Part--