[NEohioPAL]Auditioning for a film? - use sense and caution

Bill cinevid at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 11 21:43:08 PDT 2005

--0-652597698-1126500188=:3981

What should an actor look for when deciding to audition for a film?

As a Director who started out acting in high school and Community Theater, I found the transition to film is fraught with difficult decisions. The biggest change is that there is usually no physical theater; no expensive building that requires serious dedication and a good reputation to survive the upkeep. A guy can literally buy a camcorder and do auditions in his bedroom if he wants to and it doesn’t necessarily mean he’s not serious or has a bad reputation. What it does mean is that you need to check him out.

I realize that as actors, there’s nothing more seductive than the call of the silver screen and the hope of stardom, but ALL actors need to be careful about which projects they choose to be in, so here are a few guidelines:

   Is there pay?
This is the first indication of the sincerity, and integrity of the production. If you ask about pay and they have no pay, and no provision for pay if the film succeeds; no deferments or percentages; then they are not very confident of their success and may be just practicing at your expense of time and talent.

   What has the producer / director done before?
By looking at the projects that have gone before, you can quickly tell whether you really want to be involved or not. However, if this is their first film and it’s an epic feature, to get involved is a huge gamble and definitely not for the squeamish. In this case ask to read more of the script than just the sides. Watch for good organization, a professional approach and an educated director/producer who understands filmmaking on a greater level than, "Well, I watch a lot of movies."

   Ask around about the company and it’s principles.
If the production company has done some projects before, but you can’t see the films for yourself, then try to find out who they’ve worked with and get some feedback. Attach yourself to acting and filmmaking groups where you can network with other actors and crew to see what it might be like working with the company in question.

   What will this project do for me?

Here is where all the pay vs. no pay and quality issues meet the bottom line. If you as an actor feel comfortable with the project and you believe it will advance your career, deepen your experience, or just be plain fun, then why wouldn’t you audition? Acting is an artform that sometimes pays… isn’t that amazing in itself?

So if you love to act, and you have the time, and you’ve followed some of the guidelines above, then go for it. If it ends up going really badly, and the footage looks horrible, and the director’s a tyrant or sleezeball, and the production is slipshod and unorganized, and you feel nothing can be gained from your involvement, and to bottom it off, there’s no pay, then walk away. Yeah, you heard me, I said walk away. I know that sounds tremendously unprofessional, but if you are the only one being a professional and it’s clear that what you expected isn’t being delivered, then you have the right to end the relationship. You’re not in Thailand being forced to work in a sweatshop 14 hours for pennies a day. You’re an actor; your image and voice will be stuck in that production for God only knows how long; so guard it well. It has value – believe it.

Bill Johns
Writer, producer, director

Cinevid Productions, Ltd.

"We have Your Daughter" winner – Best Action Short 2002 NYIIFVF

"The Last Straw" – Project Greenlight Contender

"Too Good to be True" – Opener Akron University Film Fest

"Left for Dead" – winner 26th Annual Telly Awards

"MADNESS" – in production

visit www.cinevidproductions.com for more information

---------------------------------
Yahoo! for Good
 Watch the Hurricane Katrina Shelter From The Storm concert
--0-652597698-1126500188=:3981

<DIV><B><FONT size=4>
<P>What should an actor look for when deciding to audition for a film?</P></B></FONT>
<P>As a Director who started out acting in high school and Community Theater, I found the transition to film is fraught with difficult decisions. The biggest change is that there is usually no physical theater; no expensive building that requires serious dedication and a good reputation to survive the upkeep. A guy can literally buy a camcorder and do auditions in his bedroom if he wants to and it doesn’t necessarily mean he’s not serious or has a bad reputation. What it does mean is that you need to check him out.</P>
<P>I realize that as actors, there’s nothing more seductive than the call of the silver screen and the hope of stardom, but ALL actors need to be careful about which projects they choose to be in, so here are a few guidelines:</P>
<OL><B>
<LI>Is there pay?</LI></B>
<P>This is the first indication of the sincerity, and integrity of the production. If you ask about pay and they have no pay, and no provision for pay if the film succeeds; no deferments or percentages; then they are not very confident of their success and may be just practicing at your expense of time and talent.</P><B>
<LI>What has the producer / director done before?</LI></B>
<P>By looking at the projects that have gone before, you can quickly tell whether you really want to be involved or not. However, if this is their first film and it’s an epic feature, to get involved is a huge gamble and definitely not for the squeamish. In this case ask to read more of the script than just the sides. Watch for good organization, a professional approach and an educated director/producer who understands filmmaking on a greater level than, "Well, I watch a lot of movies."</P><B>
<LI>Ask around about the company and it’s principles.</LI></B>
<P>If the production company has done some projects before, but you can’t see the films for yourself, then try to find out who they’ve worked with and get some feedback. Attach yourself to acting and filmmaking groups where you can network with other actors and crew to see what it might be like working with the company in question.</P><B>
<LI>What will this project do for me?</LI></OL>
<DIR>
<DIR></B>
<P>Here is where all the pay vs. no pay and quality issues meet the bottom line. If you as an actor feel comfortable with the project and you believe it will advance your career, deepen your experience, or just be plain fun, then why wouldn’t you audition? Acting is an artform that sometimes pays… isn’t that amazing in itself? </P></DIR></DIR>
<P>So if you love to act, and you have the time, and you’ve followed some of the guidelines above, then go for it. If it ends up going really badly, and the footage looks horrible, and the director’s a tyrant or sleezeball, and the production is slipshod and unorganized, and you feel nothing can be gained from your involvement, and to bottom it off, there’s no pay, then walk away. Yeah, you heard me, I said walk away. I know that sounds tremendously unprofessional, but if you are the only one being a professional and it’s clear that what you expected isn’t being delivered, then you have the right to end the relationship. You’re not in Thailand being forced to work in a sweatshop 14 hours for pennies a day. You’re an actor; your image and voice will be stuck in that production for God only knows how long; so guard it well. It has value – believe it.</P><B><FONT size=5>
<P>Bill Johns<BR></FONT><FONT size=4>Writer, producer, director</P>
<P><A href="http://cinevidproductions.com">Cinevid Productions, Ltd.</A></P>
<P>"We have Your Daughter" </B></FONT><FONT size=3>winner – Best Action Short 2002 NYIIFVF</FONT></P><B><FONT size=4>
<P>"The Last Straw" </B></FONT><FONT size=3>– Project Greenlight Contender</FONT></P><B><FONT size=4>
<P>"Too Good to be True" </B></FONT><FONT size=3>– Opener Akron University Film Fest</FONT></P><B><FONT size=4>
<P>"Left for Dead" </B></FONT><FONT size=3>– winner 26<SUP>th</SUP> Annual Telly Awards</FONT></P><B><FONT size=4>
<P>"MADNESS" </B></FONT><FONT size=3>– in production</FONT></P>
<P><FONT size=3>visit <A href="http://www.cinevidproductions.com">www.cinevidproductions.com</A> for more information</FONT></P></DIV><p>
		<hr size=1>Yahoo! for Good<br>
Watch the Hurricane Katrina <a href="http://advision.webevents.yahoo.com/shelter">Shelter From The Storm concert</a>

--0-652597698-1126500188=:3981--