[NEohioPAL]financial core note

MsProspero msprospero at msn.com
Thu Sep 22 09:38:58 PDT 2005

------=_NextPart_000_0092_01C5BF72.9A4C0F20

I'd be careful about taking advice about going financial core with SAG - I'm
pretty sure they don't let you join the union just to have you not pay dues
and still reap the benefits of SAG pay and Pension and Health benefits --
I've been a member of SAG, AFTRA and AEA for about 20 years now, and have
never regretted joining them.  They really are there to help the actors.
They don't 'get' jobs for you (your agent and your talent do that part), but
they make sure that once hired, you are protected by the basic employment
laws (which most non-union producers feel free to ignore - like getting
paid, and getting overtime, etc.); and they assist you with many other areas
of employment- like making sure that you are at least covered by workers
comp insurance, for instance.

Plus - as much as people argue this point - and I admit, it's easily
arguable - but Union members get more respect -  if you aren't in SAG or
AFTRA or AEA (I came from the LA area recently, where this is particularly
true) - you are not considered to be a serious actor - no matter what folks
in your home town tell you.

Show business - or the business of show  --- is a business.  You've got to
be able to manage your career and your money, just like any other business.
What will get you ahead?  What gives you an edge in the professional arena?

It just doesn't seem likely that you'd get any of those benefits related to
pay and union P&H without paying your dues for the privilege.  So - you're
best bet is to contact the union, (SAG is part of the larger unions:
AFL-CIO)  or your union liason; or even a lawyer versed in entertainment
law.

That's my two-cents.  I have never responded to the dialogues prior to this,
but I hate to see a fellow actor who has worked hard to get in to the union
in the first place, do something that might jeopardize that effort.   Check
it out with the source first - the union, a lawyer, someone who is on
financial core and has tried to come back, -- but check it out with someone
who has the facts on paper - read the rule book -  then make your decision.

Respectfully submitted,

Linda Castro

------=_NextPart_000_0092_01C5BF72.9A4C0F20

<head>
charset=3Dus-ascii">
<!--
 /* Style Definitions */
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:Arial;
	color:windowtext;}
@page Section1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in;}
div.Section1
	{page:Section1;}
-->

</head>

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'>I’d be careful about taking advice about going
[...]

font-family:Arial'>Plus – as much as people argue this point =
– and I
admit, it’s easily arguable – but Union members get more =
respect
-  if you aren’t in SAG or AFTRA or AEA (I came from the LA =
area
recently, where this is particularly true) – you are not =
considered to be
a serious actor – no matter what folks in your home town tell =

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'>Show business – or the business of show  =
--- is a
business.  You’ve got to be able to manage your career and =
your
money, just like any other business.  What will get you =
ahead?  What
gives you an edge in the <u>professional</u> =

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'>It just doesn’t seem likely that you’d =
get any
of those benefits related to pay and union P&H without paying your =
dues for
the privilege.  So – you’re best bet is to contact the =
union,
(SAG is part of the larger unions: AFL-CIO)  or your union liason; =
or even
a lawyer versed in entertainment law. =

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'>That’s my two-cents.  I have never =