[NEohioPAL]Breaking in the business

George Stoykov gvstoykov at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 30 17:09:48 PDT 2005

------=_NextPart_000_0001_01C5C5FA.E87477D0

I don't know if you need or if you'll even heed my following advice, but I
thought I'd give it a shot.  Here goes.  RAVEKIDCLE420 inquired about
breaking into the business at 26.  You said you don't feel confident, so
I'll give you the best piece of advice that I consider this industry to
offer: challenge yourself, dive in, and go for the things that intimidate
you because you'll surprise yourself.  I know you have no experience but if
you audition for a small community theater, chances are you're not the only
one with little or no experience.  Sometimes you'll meet these "actors" that
have an extended resume but they're not very well endowed to say the least.
Others have done one or two things, and just seem to be naturals.  For one
reason or another you obviously felt the calling, so it must be in your soul
if you had an epiphany at 26 to go after the art.  If you take it from me;
any production you do from here on out be it theater, or independent film,
is practice.  Who cares if it pays, because at this point in your career you
just need to build experiences.  You can take courses but if you want to
challenge yourself and save money, audition for something.  It's like a free
acting course because you will learn from your director and the others
around you.  Start small and build up.  It's good to fine tune your skills
but to start somewhere, anywhere is all you need to do.  Intimidation is a
game we all play with each other but if one thing is for sure: it's all an
illusion.  Don't be intimidated!  It's the name f the game.  People are full
of it most of the time.  You have to jump in!  Be bold and daring.  Go to an
audition, even if you feel you'll get rejected.  Do it just for the
experience and I guarantee you will not be surprised to find that you are
not far behind the others.  Even if there is a lot of talent, then you will
learn something new.  You also need to get used to rejection, because it
comes with the territory.  You will need courage the most because this is
unfortunately a business in which only the strong survive, so unless you
plan to do it only as a hobby, then try to understand that you need to be
careless of what others think.  You probably already knew this stuff since
it's mostly common sense to some, but I'm doing what I can; offering you
some basic tips I learned along the way.  If you can realize that nobody is
better than you, and that it's never too late for anybody, then you can do
it. There are tons of great acting classes being advertised on NEohioPAL all
the time.  Try the Cleveland Improv Institute.  They are great for
beginners.   Let's face it, everyone has to start somewhere and not everyone
has been blessed enough to have a doting mommy and daddy hold their hand
since they were 5 and lead them down the path to stardom.  Trial and error,
rejection and victory, you will learn the sooner you jump in.  Go for it!
Isn't life short?

 Good luck!  I'm on your side.

------=_NextPart_000_0001_01C5C5FA.E87477D0

<head>
charset=3Dus-ascii">
<!--
 /* Font Definitions */
 @font-face
	{font-family:Tahoma;
	panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;}
 /* Style Definitions */
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:Arial;
	color:windowtext;}
@page Section1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in;}
div.Section1
	{page:Section1;}
-->
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
 <o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
 <o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
  <o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
 </o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->
</head>

style=3D'font-size:9.0pt;
font-family:Tahoma'>I don't know if you need or if you'll even heed my =
[...]
short?</span></font><o:p></o:p></p>

style=3D'font-size:9.0pt;
font-family:Tahoma'> Good luck!  I’m on your =

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;

------=_NextPart_000_0001_01C5C5FA.E87477D0--