[NEohioPAL] Breaking in the business

Ben Topping bentopping at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 1 12:07:26 PDT 2005

RE: [NEohioPAL] Breaking in the business

I'm pretty sure it was Kevin Costner I saw in "Inside the Actors Studio" who
did not have anything to do with acting until AFTER he graduated college,
and then signed on with a small theatre company as a stage hand for a few
years. (None of this is noted on IMDB though, so maybe it was another
big-name star -- but the name doesn't really matter.) Reportedly, it took
this actor years, about age 28, to get his union card.

In "Tadpole" 2002 (won multiple awards), the starring role of the
15-year-old boy was played by a 26-year-old man -- and it worked! (And the
guy is NOT freakishly young looking. It was his talent that made it work.)

After earning a scientific degree with multiple science-related
certifications, and working as an International Expedition Scientist, my
sister, Natalie McNeil (http://www.nataliemcneil.com), went to LA to act in
films/tv. Currently she can be seen in Kate Hudson's film "Skeleton Key" (in
theatres now), is cast in a new HBO television series (for next year), and
is currently working on Adam Sandler's new film, "Click". A few weeks ago
she signed with the owner of a major agency, LA Talent and is up for several
national television commercials.

I say you should go for it. 26 is a GREAT age! Besides -- casting
agents/directors should only be interested in the "age range" you can play,
which could be quite young. In addition, many people who study acting in
advanced (masters) degreed programs are often 25-26 years old when they hit
the pavement, often with no/little professional experience.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Ben Topping
actor/model