[NEohioPAL]Auditions! "Crowns" a gospel musical

Jan Harcar jharcar at weathervaneplayhouse.com
Fri Oct 14 13:22:22 PDT 2005

------=_NextPart_000_0009_01C5D0DB.74FBC740

Weathervane Playhouse Announces

AUDITIONS BY APPOINTMENT for Gospel Musical

CROWNS

(Akron, Ohio, October 14, 2005, FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE...) Weathervane =
Playhouse will hold AUDITIONS for the gospel musical CROWNS, adapted =
Regina Taylor from the book by Michael Cunningham and Craig Marberry - =
Crowns: Portraits of Black Women in Church Hats. Auditions will be held =
at Weathervane Playhouse (1301 Weathervane Lane, Akron, In the Valley =
off Merriman Road) on Saturday, November 5 beginning at 2 p.m. and =
Sunday, November 6 beginning at 5 p.m.

Audition reservations will be accepted at 330-836-2626.

Cast requirements: 6 women (16 - 60s)

1 man (late 30s - 50s) Character descriptions below:

All actors must be able to sing in a traditional Black gospel style and =
move extremely well. All characters are African American, a professional =
commitment is required.

Prepare: One gospel/spiritual song of your choice

Director for the production of Crowns is Dale Ricardo Shields. Shields =
most recently directed Topdog Underdog at the Beck Center for the Arts. =
His extensive credits as a director, stage manager and actor include: =
The Joseph Papp Public Theatre (New York Shakespeare Festival), The =
Actors Studio, the Actors Theatre of Louisville, Playrights Horizon, =
Cleveland Play House, Dobama Theatre, Karamu House and The Negro =
Ensemble Company.

Musical Director is Ed Ridley, who was Musical Director for Crowns at =
Cleveland Play House.

Character descriptions:

1. WANDA - ladylike and full of propriety and decorum
"I realize, right here and now, that even if I had no hair, I'd glue a =
wig=20
to my scalp and put a hat on." Early to mid 30's

2. JEANETTE - is flirtatious, brassy, fun loving and full of the joy of=20
spirituality.
"I'd lend my children before I'd lend my hats. I know my children know =
their=20
way home, but my hats might not."
Late 20's

3. VELMA - refers to herself as a hat queen and coins the phrase=20
"hattitude." Velma becomes a funeral director and observes how =
"hattitude"=20
figures into the death ritual.
"Sometimes under those hats there's a lot of pain and a lot of sorrow."
Early to mid 40's

4. YOLANDA - is the youngest of the group, a rebellious spirit and bucks =
the=20
traditions that the others hold sacred.
"Don't want to be/ Boxed in/ By some dead or dying traditions/ And I =
don't=20
know how to be one of them"
age 16 - 21

5. MOTHER SHAW - is Yolanda's grandmother and the matriarch in this =
world.=20
She is a leader in her community and recognized for her fiesty nature =
and=20
her power to "usher in the Spirit."
"If you get to shoutin' hard and that hat comes off, it's mine."
Late 50's to Early 60's

6. MABEL - is a minister's wife who confesses to owning about 200 hats.=20
Sharp and sassy tell-it-like-it-is attitude. "Listen - never touch my =
hat.=20
Admire it from a distance, honey."
Mid 40's to Early 50's

7. MAN, the spirit of the crossroads, is a vital part of the women's=20
histories and appears in different roles throughout the play. He serves =
the=20
stories that the women tell, often bringing momentary life to the =
fathers,=20
brothers, husbands and preachers who have touched the lives of the other =

characters.
"You don't need another hat. You don't have but one head."
Late 30's to mid 50's

All roles are available. Weathervane Playhouse is committed to =
non-traditional casting. Except in cases where race, gender, age or =
disability is essential to the play, all roles will be cast on the basis =
of talent. Weathervane Playhouse is a community theater. All performers =
in all productions are volunteers. For further information, call =
Weathervane at 330-836-2626.

------=_NextPart_000_0009_01C5D0DB.74FBC740

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><B><FONT face=3DHelvetica>
<P align=3Dcenter>Weathervane Playhouse Announces</P>
<P align=3Dcenter>AUDITIONS BY APPOINTMENT for Gospel =
Musical</P></FONT><I><FONT=20
face=3DHelvetica size=3D4>
<P align=3Dcenter>CROWNS</P></B></I></FONT><FONT face=3DHelvetica =
size=3D2>
<P>(Akron, Ohio, October 14, 2005, FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE...) =
<B>Weathervane=20
Playhouse</B> will hold </FONT><B><U><FONT =
face=3DHelvetica>AUDITIONS</B></U>=20
</FONT><FONT face=3DHelvetica size=3D2>for the gospel musical =
<B><I>CROWNS</B></I>,=20
adapted Regina Taylor from the book by Michael Cunningham and Craig =
Marberry =96=20
<U>Crowns: Portraits of Black Women in Church Hats.</U> Auditions will =
be held=20
at Weathervane Playhouse (1301 Weathervane Lane, Akron, In the Valley =
off=20
Merriman Road) on <B>Saturday, November 5 beginning at 2 p.m. </B>and =
<B>Sunday,=20
November 6 beginning at 5 p.m.</P></FONT><FONT face=3DHelvetica>
<P align=3Dcenter>Audition reservations will be accepted at =
330-836-2626.</P>
<DIR>
<DIR>
<DIR>
<DIR></B></FONT><FONT face=3DHelvetica size=3D2>
<P>Cast requirements: 6 women (16 =96 60s)</P>
<P>1 man (late 30s =96 50s) Character descriptions below:</P><I>
<P>All actors must be able to sing in a traditional Black gospel style =
and move=20
extremely well. All characters are African American, a professional =
commitment=20
is required.</P>
<P></I></FONT><FONT face=3DHelv size=3D2>Prepare: One gospel/spiritual =
song of your=20
choice</FONT><FONT face=3DHelv =
size=3D2></P></DIR></DIR></DIR></DIR></FONT><FONT=20
face=3DHelvetica size=3D2>
<P>Director for the production of <I>Crowns </I>is <B>Dale Ricardo=20
Shields</B>.<B> Shields</B> most recently directed <I>Topdog =
Underdog</I> at the=20
Beck Center for the Arts. His extensive credits as a director, stage =
manager and=20
actor include: The Joseph Papp Public Theatre (New York Shakespeare =
Festival),=20
The Actors Studio, the Actors Theatre of Louisville, Playrights Horizon, =

Cleveland Play House, Dobama Theatre, Karamu House and The Negro =
Ensemble=20
Company.</P>
<P>Musical Director is <B>Ed Ridley</B>, who was Musical Director for=20
<B><I>Crowns</B></I> at Cleveland Play House.</P>
<P>Character descriptions:</P><FONT face=3DHelvetica size=3D2>
<P>1. WANDA - ladylike and full of propriety and decorum<BR>"I realize, =
right=20
here and now, that even if I had no hair, I'd glue a wig <BR>to my scalp =
and put=20
a hat on." Early to mid 30's<BR><BR>2. JEANETTE - is flirtatious, =
brassy, fun=20
loving and full of the joy of <BR>spirituality.<BR>"I'd lend my children =
before=20
I'd lend my hats. I know my children know their <BR>way home, but my =
hats might=20
not."<BR>Late 20's<BR><BR>3. VELMA - refers to herself as a hat queen =
and coins=20
the phrase <BR>"hattitude." Velma becomes a funeral director and =
observes how=20
"hattitude" <BR>figures into the death ritual.<BR>"Sometimes under those =
hats=20
there's a lot of pain and a lot of sorrow."<BR>Early to mid =
40's<BR><BR>4.=20
YOLANDA - is the youngest of the group, a rebellious spirit and bucks =
the=20
<BR>traditions that the others hold sacred.<BR>"Don't want to be/ Boxed =
in/ By=20
some dead or dying traditions/ And I don't <BR>know how to be one of=20
them"<BR>age 16 - 21<BR><BR>5. MOTHER SHAW - is Yolanda's grandmother =
and the=20
matriarch in this world. <BR>She is a leader in her community and =
recognized for=20
her fiesty nature and <BR>her power to "usher in the Spirit."<BR>"If you =
get to=20
shoutin' hard and that hat comes off, it's mine."<BR>Late 50's to Early=20
60's<BR><BR>6. MABEL - is a minister's wife who confesses to owning =
about 200=20
hats. <BR>Sharp and sassy tell-it-like-it-is attitude. "Listen - never =
touch my=20
hat. <BR>Admire it from a distance, honey."<BR>Mid 40's to Early =
50's<BR><BR>7.=20
MAN, the spirit of the crossroads, is a vital part of the women's =
<BR>histories=20
and appears in different roles throughout the play. He serves the =
<BR>stories=20
that the women tell, often bringing momentary life to the fathers, =
<BR>brothers,=20
husbands and preachers who have touched the lives of the other=20
<BR>characters.<BR>"You don't need another hat. You don't have but one=20
head."<BR>Late 30's to mid 50's<BR></P></FONT>
<P>All roles are available. Weathervane Playhouse is committed to=20
non-traditional casting. Except in cases where race, gender, age or =
disability=20
is essential to the play, all roles will be cast on the basis of talent. =

Weathervane Playhouse is a community theater. All performers in all =
productions=20
are volunteers. <B>For further information, call Weathervane at=20
330-836-2626</B>.</P></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0009_01C5D0DB.74FBC740--