[NEohioPAL]Missing Theater & Audition Section

K Brown kym4639 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 14 12:31:08 PST 2005

--0-1598683822-1132000268=:30674

I have attached the recent correspondence between Mr. Kappes & myself in response to the questions about who reads the audition listings.  Each person's experience is different, but the community that I serve reads the newspaper.
To: JOHN KAPPES <JKAPPES at plaind.com>, mnorman at plaind.com

John,

Thank you very much for responding to my email.  I appreciate the explanation of the omission.  I look forward to the new format.

I am very sorry to hear about your decision not to print audition notices.  It seems that with the expanded theater section that there would certainly be enough room for them.  I sincerely hope that you will reconsider.  There is a significant percentage of your readership that do not have internet access.  I know that many of us take for granted that "everyone" can just go online, but that is simply not the case.

In addition to acting, I also direct Youth Theater productions.  Each young person that has auditioned for me or performed under my direction found out about the audition from the Plain Dealer and I have always encouraged them to look each week.  Many of these children & teens are not fortunate enough to have computers in their homes, or even in their schools.  As I mentioned in my initial email, there are many adult actors in this city that depend on the weekly posting for the same reasons.  Please consider these Clevelanders as you finalize this week's Friday Magazine.

Thank you again for your attention,

Kimberly L. Brown

JOHN KAPPES <JKAPPES at plaind.com> wrote:
Just wanted to let you know that the theater listings were accidentally omitted from the new Friday magazine because of a production error. This, of course, did not make us happy, as we wanted the new magazine to have a perfect rollout. Think of it as a preview in which one of the stage lights falls and destroys a portion of the set. :-) Hopefully, we'll get better as the run progresses.

The new magazine will, in fact, have more space devoted to coverage of the Fine Arts, and theater in particular. We have started a new theater column in the magazine that will be written weekly by Plain Dealer Theater Critic Tony Brown. Arts Reporter Carolyn Jack will also be doing a weekly column of Critic's Choice picks in the magazine, which, of course, will frequenly concentrate on theater. She's also doing a separate Family and the Arts column in the new Family section at the back of the magazine, which will give all of the arts groups doing children's programming another shot at coverage.

The Fine Arts listings in the magazine will be at least a page each week, sometimes more as space allows. These are will "curated" lists in the magazine, with Friday Mag/Fine Arts Editor John Kappes, making selections each week for what gets printed. We will continue to prepare much larger listings that will be published online at cleveland.com.

We did make a difficult decision to stop publishing the Audition listings in the Plain Dealer. However, we will continue to put those together and will display them online at cleveland.com. Hope that answers your questions. And thanks for reading. Please feel free to email or call me if you have any other questions or concerns. 216-999-4109.

Michael Norman
Arts & Entertainment Editor
John Kappes
Friday Editor
The Plain Dealer

>>> K Brown 11/13/05 01:17PM >>>
To Whom it May Concern,

I am an actor and a longtime subscriber of your newspaper. I am writing to express my outrage over the missing theater listings and audition section in the new Friday magazine.

After days of trying, I cannot come up with a good reason for not showing a complete listing of the upcoming events in the theater community. As you well know, Cleveland is a city that is rich in the arts. We have the second largest performing arts center in the United States (Playhouse Square Center), the oldest regional theater in America (Cleveland Playhouse), and the oldest African American Theater in the US (Karamu). All three of these institutions are alive and well and there are countless others that are making history in their own way.

For those operations that can not afford to take out full or half page ads in the Arts & Life section, word about their shows have always gotten out by way of the listing in the Friday Magazine. Long-time patrons & supporters could double-check the dates and times of upcoming performances. Casual readers could browse the theater section and perhaps find something of interest on the list. So, with the new format, are these individuals who read your paper supposed to assume that theater is suddenly dead in our community? I certainly hope not. In this depressed economy, it is difficult enough to fill the many theaters in this city. Let's not give our would-be patrons any excuses to stay at home.

None of the theaters and theater companies would exist without the actors that grace their stages. The actors in this city find out about upcoming auditions and workshops from an internet performing arts list and from the brightly colored box that appeared in the latter half of the Friday Magazine. The internet based performing arts list works out quite nicely for a person like me, who has access to and time to browse the internet all day long at my job and at home.

There are people who do not have the time or patience to sift through the hundreds of list postings each week. For those people, the yellow box in the theater section was a concise and reliable alternative. There are people who do not have access to the internet on a consistent basis. These people may be working actors who may not earn enough to own a computer or maintain an internet connection. These people may also be children who obviously won't have computers of their own, but still have a desire to express themselves onstage. How are these aspiring actors to find out about auditions or workshops?

Please put the "Things to Do: Theater" and "Auditions and Workshops" sections back in the Friday Magazine. If space is an issue perhaps you could consider moving the "Renter's Marketplace" to either the Classified or Real Estate sections of the paper. The theater community in this city will certainly suffer without support from our only newspaper.

Sincerely,

Kimberly L. Brown

---------------------------------

---------------------------------

---------------------------------
--0-1598683822-1132000268=:30674

<DIV><BR>I have attached the recent correspondence between Mr. Kappes & myself in response to the questions about who reads the audition listings.  Each person's experience is different, but the community that I serve reads the newspaper.
<BLOCKQUOTE class=replbq style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid"><BR>To: JOHN KAPPES <JKAPPES at plaind.com>, mnorman at plaind.com<BR><BR>
<DIV>
<DIV>John,</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Thank you very much for responding to my email.  I appreciate the explanation of the omission.  I look forward to the new format.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I am very sorry to hear about your decision not to print audition notices.  It seems that with the expanded theater section that there would certainly be enough room for them.  I sincerely hope that you will reconsider.  There is a significant percentage of your readership that do not have internet access.  I know that many of us take for granted that "everyone" can just go online, but that is simply not the case.  </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>In addition to acting, I also direct Youth Theater productions.  Each young person that has auditioned for me or performed under my direction found out about the audition from the Plain Dealer and I have always encouraged them to look each week.  Many of these children & teens are not fortunate enough to have computers in their homes, or even in their schools.  As I mentioned in my initial email, there are many adult actors in this city that depend on the weekly posting for the same reasons.  Please consider these Clevelanders as you finalize this week's Friday Magazine.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Thank you again for your attention,</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Kimberly L. Brown<BR><BR><B><I>JOHN KAPPES <JKAPPES at plaind.com></I></B> wrote:</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE class=replbq style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid">Just wanted to let you know that the theater listings were accidentally omitted from the new Friday magazine because of a production error. This, of course, did not make us happy, as we wanted the new magazine to have a perfect rollout. Think of it as a preview in which one of the stage lights falls and destroys a portion of the set. :-) Hopefully, we'll get better as the run progresses. <BR><BR>The new magazine will, in fact, have more space devoted to coverage of the Fine Arts, and theater in particular. We have started a new theater column in the magazine that will be written weekly by Plain Dealer Theater Critic Tony Brown. Arts Reporter Carolyn Jack will also be doing a weekly column of Critic's Choice picks in the magazine, which, of course, will frequenly concentrate on theater. She's also doing a separate Family and the Arts column in the new Family section at the back of the
 magazine, which will give all of the arts groups doing children's programming another shot at coverage.<BR><BR>The Fine Arts listings in the magazine will be at least a page each week, sometimes more as space allows. These are will "curated" lists in the magazine, with Friday Mag/Fine Arts Editor John Kappes, making selections each week for what gets printed. We will continue to prepare much larger listings that will be published online at cleveland.com.<BR><BR>We did make a difficult decision to stop publishing the Audition listings in the Plain Dealer. However, we will continue to put those together and will display them online at cleveland.com. Hope that answers your questions. And thanks for reading. Please feel free to email or call me if you have any other questions or concerns. 216-999-4109.<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>Michael Norman<BR>Arts & Entertainment Editor<BR>John Kappes<BR>Friday Editor<BR>The Plain Dealer<BR><BR><BR><BR>>>> K Brown
 <KYM4639 at YAHOO.COM>11/13/05 01:17PM >>><BR>To Whom it May Concern,<BR><BR>I am an actor and a longtime subscriber of your newspaper. I am writing to express my outrage over the missing theater listings and audition section in the new Friday magazine. <BR><BR>After days of trying, I cannot come up with a good reason for not showing a complete listing of the upcoming events in the theater community. As you well know, Cleveland is a city that is rich in the arts. We have the second largest performing arts center in the United States (Playhouse Square Center), the oldest regional theater in America (Cleveland Playhouse), and the oldest African American Theater in the US (Karamu). All three of these institutions are alive and well and there are countless others that are making history in their own way. <BR><BR>For those operations that can not afford to take out full or half page ads in the Arts & Life section, word about their shows have always gotten out by way of the
 listing in the Friday Magazine. Long-time patrons & supporters could double-check the dates and times of upcoming performances. Casual readers could browse the theater section and perhaps find something of interest on the list. So, with the new format, are these individuals who read your paper supposed to assume that theater is suddenly dead in our community? I certainly hope not. In this depressed economy, it is difficult enough to fill the many theaters in this city. Let's not give our would-be patrons any excuses to stay at home.<BR><BR>None of the theaters and theater companies would exist without the actors that grace their stages. The actors in this city find out about upcoming auditions and workshops from an internet performing arts list and from the brightly colored box that appeared in the latter half of the Friday Magazine. The internet based performing arts list works out quite nicely for a person like me, who has access to and time to browse the internet all day long
 at my job and at home. <BR><BR>There are people who do not have the time or patience to sift through the hundreds of list postings each week. For those people, the yellow box in the theater section was a concise and reliable alternative. There are people who do not have access to the internet on a consistent basis. These people may be working actors who may not earn enough to own a computer or maintain an internet connection. These people may also be children who obviously won't have computers of their own, but still have a desire to express themselves onstage. How are these aspiring actors to find out about auditions or workshops?<BR><BR>Please put the "Things to Do: Theater" and "Auditions and Workshops" sections back in the Friday Magazine. If space is an issue perhaps you could consider moving the "Renter's Marketplace" to either the Classified or Real Estate sections of the paper. The theater community in this city will certainly suffer without support from our only
 newspaper.<BR><BR>Sincerely,<BR><BR>Kimberly L. Brown<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>---------------------------------<BR>Yahoo! FareChase - Search multiple travel sites in one click. <BR></BLOCKQUOTE></DIV>
<P>
<HR SIZE=1>
<A href="http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylc=X3oDMTFqODRtdXQ4BF9TAzMyOTc1MDIEX3MDOTY2ODgxNjkEcG9zAzEEc2VjA21haWwtZm9vdGVyBHNsawNmYw--/SIG=110oav78o/**http%3a//farechase.yahoo.com/">Yahoo! FareChase - Search multiple travel sites in one click.</A> </BLOCKQUOTE></DIV><p>