[NEohioPAL]Re: Friday listings -- Response to Mr Brown's posting

andrew at craze-productions.com andrew at craze-productions.com
Wed Nov 16 11:07:45 PST 2005

  My $0.02:

  I think this is a reasonable and rational position.  Furthermore, given
a finite amount of space for arts coverage, I would much rather have
listings and theatergoer-focused content over
performer/director/producer-focused content.

  In my experience, it is much harder to reach people at large with
theater news than to reach people within the theater community.  This is
the service that the Friday magazine provides.

  Yes, the changes mean a closing of one outlet to transmit audition
notices, but there are others, and those that want to audition will
naturally seek out this information.  (Perhaps one of the free weeklies
will take up the challenge to provide a complete audition board.)  On
the other hand, as anyone who has ever promoted a show can tell you,
it's much harder to reach a mass audience with news of your show.

  Irrespective of what teh readers of this list might think of the Plain
Dealer, its writers, its editorial slant, or even the quality of its
prose: ultimately, devoting space to patrons over performers serves the
theater customer best, and that helps our community most.