[NEohioPAL]Professional?

Richard B. Ingraham rbi at rbicompaudio.20m.com
Tue Feb 14 15:02:22 PST 2006

Maybe it's because union association and professional theatre and not
mutually exclusive.  I've worked professionally for over 10 years in
this area and around the country, but have never been a member of any
trade unions.  I still think of myself as a professional, in the sense
that I fit at least one of the definitions of the word professional
(look it up in a dictionary), since I make my living (such as it is) as
a theatre sound designer.

My definition for a truly professional theatre is one at which everyone
is paid to their jobs.

Having said that, I don't have anything for or against union
organization.  In fact I could easily qualify for representation in the
sound designer's union.  But since I don't work for any organizations
that actually have a contract with that union, it would be rather
pointless, except that I could put a cool stamp on all my paperwork.
;-)

Richard B. Ingraham
RBI Computers and Audio
http://www.rbicompaudio.20m.com