[NEohioPAL]Professional?

Matt DuMont mattdumont at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 14 19:44:14 PST 2006

Hi,
Several people have already contributed to this discussion in very organized
and well thought out ways. (Hi Adam ;-D)

I turn though to Merriam-Webster Dictionary.

Professional:
2 a : participating for gain or livelihood in an activity or field of
endeavor often engaged in by amateurs <a professional golfer> b : having a
particular profession as a permanent career <a professional soldier> c :
engaged in by persons receiving financial return <professional football>

So, in short, a professional is anyone who is getting paid to do work,
regardless of what it is... be it painting houses, answereing phones,
working at McDonalds... Being Unionized or part of the Union has nothing to
do with being professional.

I've done several Professional Non-Equity shows. Thats how a lot of people
get experience so when you eventually become Equity you aren't completely
new to the business aspect of acting and theater.

I think that pretty much sums it up. I get paid to do work. I'm a
professional. =)
-Matt DuMont