[NEohioPAL]Professional?

Lauren Muney laurenmuney at comcast.net
Wed Feb 15 06:27:02 PST 2006

Dustin Brennan,

Your post seems to have been of interest to many people. Obviously
your concept of 'professionalism' is based upon UNION accreditation
only, a union which was originally formed to "protect" theatre
artists from abuses. Unions now have often become a form of "haves
vs. have-nots": it sometimes becomes a club of snobs, instead of a
brother/sisterhood. That wasn't the original intent of any union, and
Equity (and SAG, and others) should be the same way.

I have been a variety entertainer for over 20 years, performed
internationally, been in magazines, newspapers, and on television
many times. There was no "union" I could have belonged to which would
have encompassed my skills and experience, nor that would give me
credibility. Even AGVA couldn't. But by making money I was still a
"professional", and by my demeanor I was (or tried to be) responsible
in my occupation: always prepared, on time, ready to work with
clients, producers, or co-workers. In fact, due to my
"professionalism" and skill level, I was/am often paid quite well.

I also have seen "union" people unprepared, often late, nasty, work
very poorly with others, and quite frequently, not very good. Being
in a union does not necessarily make someone more of a
"professional", it just makes them able to meet the on-paper criteria
that the union requires --and pay the dues. That being said, joining
a professional union while being a professional (in demeanor) does
help many people.

As for "union" theatres: again, while most union theatres have good
reputations, just being 'union' doesn't mean anything. Ever see other
unions' workers? Sometimes it's just watching them wait for their
union-stipulated breaks. On the flip side, just because someone is
paid doesn't mean it's a decent wage. If someone hires a 14-yr-old to
make balloon animals at a child's party for $15, technically he's a
professional also. But being paid is no definition of success or
experience: it can be just a description of money exchanging hands.
I've seen [professional] circus performers work 80 hours/week in
grueling performance conditions for $150/week, and I've seen "ACTORS"
get paid exorbitant amounts of money for 5 minutes ---with lots of
whining.

I agree with these other NEohiopal people: "professional" means being
PAID. But it also can mean how the company, performer, or theatre
management works.

Additionally, if a small theatre company pays its actors (even if
it's $5/show), they have a right to advertise whatever truths they
want to say -- it's simply 'marketing'. There are awful productions
mounted in every theatre, whether it's unpaid or paid theatre; each
still advertises to the public so they can get audiences. If a
theatre advertises "Newest professional theatre!" so what? It's a truth.

I'm not trying to flame you, Dustin, but maybe your post is a call
for you to examine what YOU think about these "non-professional"
theatres ---and think about the whole industry at large. Sounds like
you have a grudge against these smaller theatres somehow, or a
glorification of the union. The real point is that beauty (or crap)
can come from any source, union or otherwise.

Everyone has to decide on their own professionalism also -- whether
or not they are paid.

Lauren

-------------------

Lauren Muney
301-210-6161
301-674-7086 cell
Personal email:
LaurenMuney at comcast.net

Physical Mind
innovative fitness and wellness coaching
www.physicalmind.com
lauren at physicalmind.com

Snake Oil Productions
performance, production, creation
www.snakeoilproductions.com
lauren at snakeoilproductions.com

FireInspire
multimedia motivational speaking including the challenge of fire
www.fireinspire.com
lauren at fireinspire.com