[NEohioPAL]Professional?

Renee Matthews matt4jack at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 15 14:49:07 PST 2006

--0-1899706382-1140043747=:32780

Dear Dustin Brennan,

  I see you are getting lots of responses regarding your inquiry about "professional theatre".  I agree with everyone that has responded thus far.

  Professionals in this medium are equity and non-equity.  In my 20 years working in the Midwest, I have found professionalism at the smallest black box theatre, tucked away in the basement of a building, which had no ties whatsoever with Actor's Equity.  I do believe many actors in this area have made the choice not obtain an equity status because the market is rigid, and jobs are not readily available.

  In your NEohioPAL post you express;

  "I am continually concerned and offended by area theaters calling themselves professional when they have no association with the union".

  My question to you is; why would you be offended or concerned ?   I think you may have the wrong idea about professionalism.  This is my profession.  I teach and perform.  I am a professional who has worked exceedingly hard to gain a reputation for being a professional artist.

  "Would someone please explain to me why this company (or any others like it) can be called professional"?

  It's very simple Mr. Brennan; the company you speak of has a professional staff, productions, actors,  and production crews.   These people are skilled, trained, educated, experienced, qualified, and quite competent.  That's what makes a professional, not an equity card.  Hope that helps you understand.

  Sincerely,
  Renee Matthews-Jackson
  Non-Equity Performance Artist

--0-1899706382-1140043747=:32780

<DIV><STRONG>Dear</STRONG> <FONT face=System><STRONG>Dustin Brennan,</STRONG></FONT></DIV>  <DIV><STRONG><FONT face=System></FONT></STRONG> </DIV>  <DIV><STRONG><FONT face=System>I see you are getting lots of responses regarding your inquiry about "professional theatre".  I agree with everyone that has responded thus far.</FONT></STRONG></DIV>  <DIV><STRONG><FONT face=System></FONT></STRONG> </DIV>  <DIV><STRONG><FONT face=System>Professionals in this medium are equity and non-equity.  In my 20 years working in the Midwest, I have found professionalism at the smallest black box theatre, tucked away in the basement of a building, which had no ties whatsoever with Actor's Equity.  I do believe many actors in this area have made the choice not obtain an equity status because the market is rigid, and jobs are not readily available.</FONT></STRONG></DIV>  <DIV><STRONG><FONT face=System></FONT></STRONG> </DIV>  <DIV><STRONG><FONT face=System>In your NEohioPAL
 post you express;</FONT></STRONG></DIV>  <DIV><STRONG><FONT face=System></FONT></STRONG> </DIV>  <DIV><FONT face=System><EM>"I am continually concerned and offended by area theaters calling themselves professional when they have no association with the union".</EM></FONT></DIV>  <DIV><FONT face=System></FONT> </DIV>  <DIV><FONT face=System><STRONG>My question to you is; why would you be offended or concerned</STRONG><SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"> ?   I think you may have the wrong idea about professionalism.  This is my profession.  I teach and perform.  I am a professional who has worked exceedingly hard to gain a reputation for being a professional artist.  </SPAN></FONT></DIV>  <DIV><FONT face=System><SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"></SPAN></FONT> </DIV>  <DIV><FONT face=System><SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"><EM>"Would someone please explain to me why this company (or any others like it) can be called
 professional"?</EM></SPAN></FONT></DIV>  <DIV><FONT face=System><SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"><EM></EM></SPAN></FONT> </DIV>  <DIV><FONT face=System><SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">It's very simple Mr. Brennan; the company you speak of has a professional staff, productions, actors,  and production crews.   These people are skilled, trained, educated, experienced, qualified, and quite competent.  That's what makes a professional, not an equity card.  Hope that helps you understand.</SPAN></FONT></DIV>  <DIV><FONT face=System><SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"></SPAN></FONT> </DIV>  <DIV><FONT face=System><SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">Sincerely,</SPAN></FONT></DIV>  <DIV><FONT face=System><SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">Renee Matthews-Jackson</SPAN></FONT></DIV>  <DIV><FONT face=System><SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">Non-Equity Performance Artist</SPAN></FONT></DIV><BR><BR><p>
		<hr size=1>Relax. Yahoo! Mail
--0-1899706382-1140043747=:32780--