[NEohioPAL]New Musical on stage

Jan Harcar Jharcar at weathervaneplayhouse.com
Thu Mar 2 08:41:35 PST 2006

------=_NextPart_000_000F_01C63DEE.42647B30

NEW MUSICAL "STEPPING UP" AT WEATHERVANE PLAYHOUSE

weathervaneplayhouse.com

STREETS OF HOME

Streets of Home, a new musical by Chuck Keiper and Bonnie Jane Eaver, =
will take the next "step up" in its development in the form of two =
workshop performances at Weathervane Community Playhouse on April 3 and =
4.

Susan Speers, professor of theatre arts at the University of Akron, =
directs this thought-provoking work that speaks to America's attitude =
toward the immigrant experience and examines the importance of =
immigrants to America.

Streets of Home began its dramatic life with a staged reading presented =
in 2005 at Weathervane as part of its Sundays at Seven: Salon Reading =
Series. (Its original title was Immigrants: An American Experience.) The =
current version of the show takes the musical to a more complete staging =
through Weathervane's "step-up" initiative in which staged readings =
progress to a full production presented on the theater's Main Stage.=20

This play-development process offers local writers a venue for =
developing new material through progressive audience exposure. =
Weathervane has four plays in various development stages as part of its =
new-play program, according to Weathervane Executive Director Elynmarie =
Kazle.

Set in 1976 on Ellis Island and also in a small Pennsylvania city, =
Streets of Home contemplates the meaning of freedom, patriotism, =
opportunity and family. It addresses the American experience through the =
eyes of an elderly Italian immigrant, Antiono Pallano. Antonio's doctor, =
Arun Lee, turns to his patient for help when his fianc=E9e, Sinang, =
arrives from Cambodia as a stowaway illegally seeking safety in America. =

"The characters are memorable," says director Speers. "Their stories =
make you think about your own life, your own family and heritage."

Eaver and Keiper spent more than a year collaborating on the show's =
book, lyrics and music. "We literally wrote shoulder to shoulder on the =
same keypad," says co-writer Keiper, a Portage County commissioner who =
has written and performed songs for 25 years.=20

"Audience feedback we received from the salon reading was invaluable," =
notes Eaver, an author, songwriter and instructor in communication at =
the University of Akron who lives in North Canton. "For instance, we =
replaced one lengthy dialogue passage with music and pantomime to =
condense and highlight the emotional impact."

Audience members at the April performances will also be invited to =
participate in a discussion of the musical.

Streets of Home will play at 7:30 p.m. on Monday, April 3 and Tuesday, =
April 4, 2006, at Weathervane Community Playhouse, 1301 Weathervane Lane =
in Akron. General-admission tickets are $10 each. For tickets, call the =
Weathervane Box Office at 330/836-2626 Tuesdays through Fridays from 10 =
a.m. to 5:30 p.m.=20

------=_NextPart_000_000F_01C63DEE.42647B30

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><B><FONT face=3DHelvetica size=3D4>
<P align=3Dcenter>NEW MUSICAL "STEPPING UP" AT WEATHERVANE PLAYHOUSE</P>
<P align=3Dcenter><FONT size=3D2>weathervaneplayhouse.com</FONT></P><I>
<P align=3Dcenter><FONT color=3D#ff0000>STREETS OF =
HOME</FONT></P></B></FONT><FONT=20
face=3DHelvetica size=3D2></I>
<P><I>Streets of Home</I>, a new musical by Chuck Keiper and Bonnie Jane =
Eaver,=20
will take the next "step up" in its development in the form of two =
workshop=20
performances at Weathervane Community Playhouse on <FONT =
color=3D#ff0000>April 3=20
and 4.</FONT></P>
<P>Susan Speers, professor of theatre arts at the University of Akron, =
directs=20
this thought-provoking work that speaks to America=92s attitude toward =
the=20
immigrant experience and examines the importance of immigrants to=20
America.</P><I>
<P>Streets of Home</I> began its dramatic life with a staged reading =
presented=20
in 2005 at Weathervane as part of its Sundays at Seven: Salon Reading =
Series.=20
(Its original title was <I>Immigrants: An American Experience</I>.) The =
current=20
version of the show takes the musical to a more complete staging through =

Weathervane=92s "step-up" initiative in which staged readings progress =
to a full=20
production presented on the theater=92s Main Stage. </P>
<P>This play-development process offers local writers a venue for =
developing new=20
material through progressive audience exposure. Weathervane has four =
plays in=20
various development stages as part of its new-play program, according to =

Weathervane Executive Director Elynmarie Kazle.</P>
<P>Set in 1976 on Ellis Island and also in a small Pennsylvania city, =
<I>Streets=20
of Home</I> contemplates the meaning of freedom, patriotism, opportunity =
and=20
family. It addresses the American experience through the eyes of an =
elderly=20
Italian immigrant, Antiono Pallano. Antonio=92s doctor, Arun Lee, turns =
to his=20
patient for help when his fianc=E9e, Sinang, arrives from Cambodia as a =
stowaway=20
illegally seeking safety in America. </P>
<P>"The characters are memorable," says director Speers. "Their stories =
make you=20
think about your own life, your own family and heritage."</P>
<P>Eaver and Keiper spent more than a year collaborating on the show=92s =
book,=20
lyrics and music. "We literally wrote shoulder to shoulder on the same =
keypad,"=20
says co-writer Keiper, a Portage County commissioner who has written and =

performed songs for 25 years. </P>
<P>"Audience feedback we received from the salon reading was =
invaluable," notes=20
Eaver, an author, </FONT><FONT face=3DHelvetica size=3D2>songwriter and =
instructor=20
in communication at the University of Akron who lives in North Canton. =
"For=20
instance, we replaced one lengthy dialogue passage with music and =
pantomime to=20
condense and highlight the emotional impact."</P>
<P>Audience members at the April performances will also be invited to=20
participate in a discussion of the musical.</P><I>
<P><FONT color=3D#ff0000>Streets of Home</FONT></I><FONT =
color=3D#ff0000> will play=20
at 7:30 p.m. on Monday, April 3 and Tuesday, April 4, 2006, at =
Weathervane=20
Community Playhouse, 1301 Weathervane Lane in Akron. General-admission =
tickets=20
are $10 each. For tickets, call the Weathervane Box Office at =
330/836-2626=20
Tuesdays through Fridays from 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.=20
</FONT></P></FONT></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_000F_01C63DEE.42647B30--