[NEohioPAL]"Match" Is Ablaze at River Street Playhouse

Justin Brenis masterchu2076 at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 5 09:08:31 PST 2006

               Before I share with you all what it is I have to say, keep in
mind that I am not in any way, shape or form a professional theater critic,
I am just a very impressed "theater-person", if you will, with an opinion
I'd like to share.
              The current production at the River Street Playhouse, a black
box theater associated with Chagrin Valley Little Theater is the Northeast
Ohio premiere of a play entitled "Match" written by Stephen Belber. The play
transports us into the "dingy yet cozy" Inwood, New York apartment of Tobias
"Tobi" Powell, an ex-professional dancer turned choreographer and professor
at Julliard. We join him along with his two guests Mike and Lisa Davis,
there to complete a dissertation Lisa has begun. They arrive at the
apartment to interview him about his life as a dancer and choreographer, but
it is soon evident that their agenda is as multilayered as the life story
that Tobi begins to tell them. What happens next will either ruin or inspire
them—and definitely change their lives forever.
               But it isn't just their lives that are changed by the
storyline of this play. It is nearly impossible to sit in the audience of
this show and not feel emotionally connected at every single moment from
beginning to end. Sir Ralph Richardson was once quoted saying "Acting is
merely the art of {preventing} people from coughing." If that much is true
then Belber's script is proof positive as the breath of every audience
member is taken away from opening curtain to final bows each night.
              However, that pleasure isn't solely on the owness of the
script. It is the performances, both as an ensemble and individually, as the
characters deal with what can be considered an emotional roller coaster
ride, that make this production a true delight to watch.
              Jeff Rogers (Tobias "Tobi" Powell) was both honest and humble
in his portrayal of a character whose life was considerably vibrant, to say
the least. You could not help but associate with him, his idiosyncratic
behaviors, and his colorful stories. Everything he said kept me coming back
for more, and I couldn't help but hang on to each and every word he had to
say. It was this connection to character, and being in the moment at all
times that made his performance no less than brilliant.
              Brenda Redmond (Lisa Davis) showed very strong emotional
connections with her character, allowing the audience to relate to each and
every piece of the story. I had no trouble allowing myself to remain
grounded through Tobi's rather illustrious stories simply by seeing the
relation I shared as a human being with Redmond's portrayal of Lisa. In
short, she brought a wonderful and professional element of realism to the
production that it could not have progressed without.
              Chris Crimaldi (Mike Davis) proved to be exceptionally capable
of the character in which he represented. He was a strong channel for all
the elements this piece had to offer, and showed a professional sense of
understanding of the material, along with an emotional range that dares to
delve into areas of the human psyche most people would try to avoid, while
at the same time is capable of reaching the highlights of humor. I was on
the edge of my seat whenever he had something to say. His addition to the
show on a whole was nothing short of spectacular.
             Director Kate Tonti made several strong choices in her
production of this piece. The foremost of which being her choice to direct
it. "Match" is a very real, very blunt play with a message that some
directors may shirk away from, however Tonti approaches it whole-heatedly,
and it shows every second of the show. Secondly her choice of the River
Street Playhouse as a venue was superb. I personally feel that a show like
this could not properly be conveyed in a traditional proscenium theater, and
Kate takes full-advantage of the of the black box at River Street, allowing
its intimate appeal and feeling draw you into the universe of these
characters as if you were actually there with them.
            All the above being said, it is necessary to mention that due to
the shows blunt nature, and use of language, this show may not be
appropriate for audience members under the age of 16. Therefore parental
discretion is advised.
            "Match" runs at the River Street Playhouse Fridays and Saturdays
from February 24th through March 10th, with all shows opening at 8pm. You
can get your tickets from the box office at Chagrin Valley Little Theater
(information listed below). This is not a show to be missed, make sure to
catch "Match" before the flame goes out for good!

You can order your tickets by calling the CVLT box office:

1.440.247.8955
Mon-Sat 1pm-6pm
Tickets are $8 a piece

CVLT/River Street Playhouse
40 River Street
Chagrin Falls, OH 44022

**CVLT and River Street are a short drive for such quality entertainment,
nestled in the beautiful community of downtown Chagrin Falls. If you are
looking for a fun, new experience to fulfill your weekends here in
Northeastern Ohio I highly recommend checking out one of their many
offerings this season. Grab dinner at one of the local restaurants ranging
from Blake's Seafood Grille, to Gamekeeper's Tavern and even Yours Truly,
enjoy the scenery and then enjoy a great show! For a full schedule of show
dates, check out their website @ www.cvlt.org**