[NEOPAL]Mike and Ike

David Lewis wham_petro at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 8 08:06:32 PDT 2006

I'd bet that Mike and Ike, whoever they are, (probably actors) if given the
opportunity, would never turn down a great role in a Simon or Shakespeare
production, whether it was being produced by "Great Lakes" or "Bang and
Jitter"...whatever their name is.

And while we're at it , lets put on bane on Mozart, the Beatles and badly
written comedy.  Lets burn all scripts that were written before 1992!  Come
on, we are all in a tough racket, made even more difficult by very
over-crowded conditions.  There are so many people in this small city of
Cleveland who are involved in theatre and theatre companies.....and be
honest....we all have good intentions but we all have egos;  we are all
competitive.  We all want to be the next great actor, director, instructor,
producer.  We all want to win that award or receive a great review.  Its
like Walgreen's!  How many stores can a community support?  How many theatre
camps do we need? Raise your hands...........how many improv, scene study
and vocal instructors are out there?  Everybody in Cleveland wants a piece
of the action.  "Quality suffers when its content collapses the
form".....Robert Frost.

But folks, theatre is like every other "show-biz" industry.  Right now, just
in the state of Ohio, do you know how many young people are practicing to be
the next great baseball, basketball, football player?  How about the next
opera star, Rap star, poet?

Do you know how many young men are in the gyms right now, preparing to be
the next great light-weight or middle weight?  Thousands!! 1% of the top 1%
make it in any of the above mentioned professions.  The cream rises to the
top.  Where does everybody else go?  What do they do? (Probably come to
Cleveland to start a theatre company).   In this country alone the college
and university theatre departments graduate 5200-6000 theatre majors every
spring, who flock to the big cities, hoping to become the next great star.
And when they don't make it there. they move to cities such as Indianapolis,
Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, etc....

So, what can we do?  Nothing.  Do your work as best as you can.  Work when
you can.  Stop complaining.  Use the neopal list as it was intended to be
used; news about auditions, shows and general theatre information (stop
selling cars, furniture and fish tanks).

I'd suggest having a forum, face to face, where we can all meet and talk
about our problems, fears and responsibilities, not about our next show or
call-back. But that wouldn't work.  It would just turn into a bunch of
arguments and fights.

Okay, I'm finished.  Anyone want to talk about the war or Global Warming or
the Bush Administration?

1