[NEOPAL]Fear of possible dissolving of theatre in the U.S.

E.B. Smith starringeb at gmail.com
Thu Apr 6 13:05:33 PDT 2006

------=_Part_31899_18520265.1144353933040

I don't think that giving up on our audiences is a solution we can allow
ourselves to turn to.  I have been a professional actor here in Cleveland
for going on two years now, and grew up here as well before I went to
college.  I see in Cleveland an unbelievably broad and deep, yet untapped
pool of talent and vision.  Some of the most creative and thrilling work I
have ever witnessed has come from this city.  I have had the honor to get t=
know a lot of the artists on this listserv, and hear their stories and lear=
from their work.  I think, Mr. Milota, that you may be letting yourself
become stagnated in your own theatrical mediocrity instead of pushing the
bar higher and higher for yourself and those around you.  If you're not
happy with the quality of the shows, do a show that challenges you, and an
audience.  If you're concerned about teenagers becoming detached from the
theater scene, do shows for their sensibility.  "Theater is dying" is a
cliche I hear far too often, and I don't buy it.  The theater isn't dying,
but it can get tired.  It's up to us as artists to keep it interesting and
engaging.  That's my two cents and maybe I'm just spouting absolute
nonsense, but I thought I'd rant. :)

-E.B. Smith

On 4/6/06, Ken Milota <kmilota66 at yahoo.com> wrote:

>  I am an active performing in community theatre in this area and I don't
> know if this is just me or if somone else has been seeing signs of this
> also.
>
> I have noticed ever since I started performing 5 1/2 years ago, each year
> there seems to be less people interested in theatre around here.  With al=
> the new forms of entertainment that exist today, it seems as theatre has
> been pushed aside, and is made to be a game people play when they can't
> think of anything else to do.
>
> Throughout the performances I have been in, I have noticed that well over
> 65% of the audience are senior citizens, and I believe that they are
> enjoying the kind of entertainment they had when they were young, and it =
is
> rare you see teenager attending musicals unless they have a friend appear=
ing
> in one.
>
> I have also noticed the disappearing of men in shows.  The past 3 shows
> that I have been in we had to go out of our way and ask men to perform, a=
nd
> even get some to do it when they didn't really even want to, and some who
> couldn't sing and just mimed it.
>
> I am wondering how much further this pattern will go, and will musical
> theatre still be around once the elderly that attend musicals and plays
> today around around many years from now, who will be viewing the shows?  =
Who

/evt=3D39663/*http://voice.yahoo.com>

--
Peace, love and hair grease all.  Be strong.

------=_Part_31899_18520265.1144353933040

ow ourselves to turn to.  I have been a professional actor here in Cle=
veland for going on two years now, and grew up here as well before I went t=
o college.  I see in Cleveland an unbelievably broad and deep, yet unt=
apped pool of talent and vision.  Some of the most creative and thrill=
ing work I have ever witnessed has come from this city.  I have had th=
e honor to get to know a lot of the artists on this listserv, and hear thei=
r stories and learn from their work.  I think, Mr. Milota, that you ma=
y be letting yourself become stagnated in your own theatrical mediocrity in=
stead of pushing the bar higher and higher for yourself and those around yo=
u.  If you're not happy with the quality of the shows, do a show that =
challenges you, and an audience.  If you're concerned about teenagers =
becoming detached from the theater scene, do shows for their sensibility.&n=
bsp; "Theater is dying" is a cliche I hear far too often, and I d=
on't buy it.  The theater isn't dying, but it can get tired.  It'=
s up to us as artists to keep it interesting and engaging.  That's my =
two cents and maybe I'm just spouting absolute nonsense, but I thought I'd =
rant. :)
en Milota</b> <<a href=3D"mailto:kmilota66 at yahoo.com">kmilota66 at yahoo.co=
m</a>> wrote:</span>
px 0px 0.8ex; BORDER-LEFT: #ccc 1px solid">
t know if this is just me or if somone else has been seeing signs of this a=
lso.</div>
ear there seems to be less people interested in theatre around here.  =
With all the new forms of entertainment that exist today, it seems as theat=
re has been pushed aside, and is made to be a game people play when they ca=
n't think of anything else to do.
ver 65% of the audience are senior citizens, and I believe that they are en=
joying the kind of entertainment they had when they were young, and it is r=
are you see teenager attending musicals unless they have a friend appearing=
 in one.
 shows that I have been in we had to go out of our way and ask men to perfo=
rm, and even get some to do it when they didn't really even want to, and so=
me who couldn't sing and just mimed it.
 theatre still be around once the elderly that attend musicals and plays to=
day around around many years from now, who will be viewing the shows? =
 Who will be performing in the shows?
if people have too much now days to entertain themselves that they see no n=
eed or desire to see a live show.</div>
the future of live theatre.  I would like to hear your theory because =
I hate mine.</div>
<hr size=3D"1">
How low will we go? Check out Yahoo! Messenger's low <a onclick=3D"return t=
op.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href=3D"http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail_u=
s/taglines/postman8/*http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=3D39663/*http://voice.yahoo=
.com" target=3D"_blank">
PC-to-Phone call rates. </a>