[NEOPAL]Fear of possible dissolving of theatre in the U.S.

Bill Van Nostran wvannostran at neo.rr.com
Fri Apr 7 04:05:03 PDT 2006

------=_NextPart_000_0034_01C65A11.980ADB30

A few words on the bright side. I left NEO many years ago but returned =
in 1997 for family reasons. I was amazed. Playhouse Square! Smaller =
theatres in more intimate venues. The Cleveland Playhouse and Karamu =
still here. A new, inviting and highly functional Weathervane Community =
Playhouse in Akron (where my parents and I acted in the 1060s). =
Weathervane also offers an array of theatre classes and experiences for =
kids and teens.

Since arriving, new theatres have hit the scene: Actor's Summit. Bang & =
Clatter.

And as for attracting younger audiences, last season's blackbox theatre =
production of Angels in America at Weathervane packed the small venue =
for each performance and several additional dates were added. I believe =
the performance I attended was about fifty-fifty older and younger. =
(Think of it: old people coming to see Angels!)

I don't believe a preponderance of more mature people iin the audience s =
anything especially new. As a callow youth, I didn't notice many high =
school kids when I'd go to plays in my teens. Down through the =
decades,."Broadway is always dying."

This is not to minimize the financial and marketing challenges all live =
performing arts face. But live theatre can become a powerful antidote to =
the impersonal, programmed form of entertainment video games offer. It =
takes imagination, will, talent and a modicum of money.

Bill Van Nostran

And sine then,=20
  ----- Original Message -----=20