[NEOPAL]Fear of possible dissolving of theatre in the U.S.

Anastasjoy at aol.com Anastasjoy at aol.com
Fri Apr 7 06:46:13 PDT 2006

In a message dated 4/7/06 12:14:11 AM, LKing-Cliby at LINCOLN.HOMEIP.NET writes:

<< I think a certain part of the "problem" may be "reliving the entertainment
of their youth", but I also think that a large part of it is that not many
young people can afford to drop $60+ per person for two hours of
entertainment - especially when they can see a movie for $10 -- disposable
income is limited (either because they're in college, they're paying for
college, starting a family, etc.)... I think the senior citizen is sort of
the "default audience" for live theater (appreciating the finer things, no
kids to worry about, plenty of time, retirement savings paying off, etc.).  >>

Lincoln has a real point here. After I got out of CWRU's graduate theater
program, I didn't see a minute of live theater for next decade. With what money?
I still wince at Cleveland Play House prices. I'm sure many will argue that
the quality justifies the price, that it's in line with other theaters or less
etc  etc, but the fact remains, this is an economically depressed area and
younger people in particular don't have almost $50 to drop on an evening's
entertainment with regularity. Concert ticket sales are off too. The only reason that
one recent year showed an uptick in gross was because of an increase in
ticket prices with expensive tours such as the Stones (which again appeals to the
over-50 crowd primarily) out there. The actual NUMBER of tickets being sold has
been declining.

Lincoln's suggestion about promoting steep discount programs for younger
theatergoers to get them hooked on the experience so they'll keep coming when some
of them are more established in their careers (if the economy of this state
EVER turns around!) is a good one.