[NEOPAL]Berko review: Charlotte's Web (CPH)

Roy Berko royberko at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 16 11:06:31 PDT 2006

Berko boys give thumbs up to ‘Charlotte’s Web’ at CPH

Roy Berko

(Member, American Theatre Critics Association)

--THE TIMES NEWSPAPERS--
LORAIN COUNTY TIMES--WESTLAKER TIMES--LAKEWOOD NEWS
TIMES--OLMSTED-FAIRVIEW TIMES

E. B. White’s ‘CHARLOTTE’S WEB’ is one of the most
beloved children’s stories. It has been made into an
animated movie which is also a favorite.  My
grandson’s Alex, Noah and Ian accompanied me to the
Cleveland Play House’s staged version of the show so I
could present a view of the production from the
intended audience--kids.

Alex, age 10 and Noah, 8 (“nine next week!” he
reminded me) gave the show an 8 on a scale of 1-10
with 10 being superb!  Ian, age 6, didn’t contribute a
number but said,  “I really liked it.”  Considering
that Ian consistently falls asleep at plays, and that
he stayed awake during the entire production and even
went on stage to help with the finale, says a whole
lot of positive about the happenings.

Alex was impressed that, “the actors sounded exactly
like the film performers which allowed me to easily
identify with the characters.”  Noah “really liked
Lelund Durond Thompson who played the lovable and
gentle Wilbur, the pig who is saved from being killed
by Charlotte, the caring spider who gives her life for
the sake of others.”  All of the boys thought Jason
Miller, who used a Paul Lynde voice to portray the
self centered, food-driven rat Templeton, was
“hysterical.”

The play’s morals, “practice random acts of kindness
every day” and “a good life is more important than a
long life,” were repeated by the trio when I asked
what the play’s message was.

So, with all the positives, why the 8?  The older boys
agreed that some of the scenes from the book were left
out.  These, they felt, were “necessary to completely
develop the story.”  (Smart kids!)

Their grandfather, who I guess isn’t as critical, gave
the production a 10.  I was impressed by Mark Alan
Gordon’s pacing of the show.  He knows what kids want
and need and got right to the point, kept the action
moving right along, and handled Charlotte’s death
scene with great tact.  The cast was universally
excellent...not a weak thread in the web.  The
audience talk-back, including the audience in the
production, and the fine costumes (James Strunk),
scenic design (Reynard Pope), sounds (James Swonger)
and lighting (Maureen Patterson) all added to the
positive effect of the 50 minute show.

CAPSULE JUDGMENT:  The Cleveland Play House’s
‘CHARLOTTE’S WEB’ was a delight.  Any parent or
grandparent wishing to expose their off-spring to a
good theatre will take them to see the E. B. White
classic which runs weekends through May 7.  For
tickets to ‘CHARLOTTE’S WEB’ call 216-795-7000 or go
on-line to www.clevelandplayhouse.com.