[NEOPAL]Re: decline of live theater

za za ohiozaza at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 10 14:38:00 PDT 2006

--0-1565961723-1144705080=:30914

   Joshua,

  Let's be honest, you didn't edit for brevity, you removed the link that connects to the central point of my post because even you could not justify its contents.

  Here it is again, so that other readers might make sense of the discussion:

      http://wakanaka.blogspot.com/2006/04/ernest-angley-and-road-to-hell.html

    (If the link isn't active, cut'n'paste!) (original link was on www.boingboing.net)

 You illustrate quite well my comments. The two sides in the struggle for people's minds are these: people who seek the truth and those convinced they already possess it.

 Some people accept new ideas and actively try to assimilate them into existing belief and knowledge structures, allowing their beliefs to, dare we say it, evolve over time.

 Others deny new facts, distort or misquote those they disagree with and yes, even edit for brevity when faced with irrefutable evidence of distasteful behavior on the part of those they support; whatever it takes to preserve their world-view unchanged.

 So thanks for agreeing with my premise and conclusion, I will now go out and search for professional ethical arguments to support or disprove my claim that the other behaviors I listed do indeed spring from a common underlying cultural mind-set. These behaviors include a decline in both the participation in and attendance of live theater. If we accept the statement that this decline is a 'bad thing', and we wish to do something about it, then we need to examine possible causes. I submit that the mind-set that supports activities like Ernie's Road Show is one possible cause. Ernie's friends and supporters are alive and well here in NEOH. That's what's wrong.

  Steve Kramer

Joshua Hunyadi <jhunyadi at sbcglobal.net> wrote: Interesting post but what's wrong?...