[NEOPAL]JCC's "From Door to Door" opens May 6 at CCC East

Ksenia Roshchakovsky kseniar at core.com
Sun Apr 23 21:21:04 PDT 2006

--MS_Mac_OE_3228682866_1415201_MIME_Part

JCC's From Door to Door opens May 6
Presented by the Jewish Community Center of Cleveland
in association with CCC Eastern Campus Theatre Arts
(Park in lots D and E at CCC East 4250 Richmond Rd.)

Directed by Fred Sternfeld

with Barbara Haas* as Bessie

Jeanne Task as Mary

Liz Conway as Deborah

Scenic Design by Ben Needham
Lighting Design by Keith Nagy
Costume Design by Alison Garrigan
Sound Design by Richard Ingraham
Stage Managed by Darcy J. Lindner

Preview Thursday,May 4 at 7:30 pm
Opens Saturday, May 6 at 8:30 pm
Sundays May 7^, 14^, 21^ at 2 pm
Thursdays May 4, 11, 18* at 7:30 pm
Saturdays Mar 6, 13, 20 at 8:30 PM

*Playwright James Sherman will participate in a pre-performance discussion
at 6:30 p.m. on Thursday, May 18, which is free to audience members
attending that evening's performance.
^The JCC is also presenting post-performance discussions that focus on
generational relationships in families with area mother-daughter pairs as
guests and participants.  These discussions are free to Sunday matinee
ticket holders and will occur immediately following performances on May 7,
14 and 21.

TICKETS at www.Tickets.com, 800-766-6048 or any Tops Market
Thursday, May 4 Preview:  $12
Sunday, May 14 Mother's Day:  $12 (limit 4 per person--use code MOT when
ordering)
All other performances:
$24 general public
$20 JCC members
$22 Seniors
$10 Students 22 & under

All discounted tickets must be purchase prior to day of show (only
full-price tickets available on day of show).

Group rates:  $16 each for group of 10 or more by calling 216-593-6258.

Spanning 70 years of history, this funny, touching tribute to three
generations of Jewish women reveals what binds them and what divides them,
the changing roles of women and the constant power of family love.  This
wonderfully comedic Jewish family saga derives its title from a phrase in
the Hebrew prayer book, l'dor v'dor (from generation to generation).
Russian immigrant Bessie (Barbara Haas) married a man chosen for her, kept
her accent, cooked gefilte fish and lived in fear.  Her daughter Mary
(Jeanne Task) is trapped between status quo and women's lib.  Growing up in
the times of Roosevelt, she became a wife and mother, surrendering her gift
for painting and any thought of a career.  Mary's daughter Deborah (Liz
Conway) gets to be her own person, but must learn to balance living in the
contemporary world and carrying on a legacy.

Playwright James Sherman is the author of Mr. 80%, The Escape Artist, This
Old Man Came Rolling Home, Jest a Second!, Romance in D, Affluenza!, The Ol=
Man's Friend, Magic Time, The God of Isaac, and Beau Jest, a past hit at th=
Halle Theatre.  He began his professional career as a writer and performer
with The Second City in Chicago.  Since 1986 he has been a
Playwright-in-Residence at the Tony Award-winning Victory Gardens Theater i=
Chicago, where Beau Jest was the most successful play in the theater's
27-year history.  He currently teaches playwriting and improvisation at
DePaul University and Columbia College of Chicago.

Equity actor Barbara Haas (Bessie) returns to Cleveland where she performed
many roles while living here with husband Ken and their family in the 70s
and 80s.  More recently, she's worked at Philadelphia's Wilma Theatre,
Boston's American Repertory Theatre, New York City's Century Theatre, the
92nd Y, New Jersey's TheatreFest and more.  She's played Aida Melfi on The
Sopranos and several comic characters for Law & Order: Criminal Intent, Two
Family House, and Keeping the Faith.

The JCC=B9s 2005-06 Arts & Culture Season is made possible by generous fundin=
from Roe Green and the Green Arts Fund of the Jewish Community Federation o=
Cleveland, the Leonard Krieger Fund of the Cleveland Foundation, the Meisel
Family Foundation, and John and Bonnie Osher.  The JCC gratefully
acknowledges the support of the Holiday Inn =AD Beachwood.

The Jewish Community Center of Cleveland builds and strengthens Cleveland's
entire Jewish Community by providing exceptional programs and services that
enhance Jewish continuity and Jewish identity in four key program areas:
Health, Wellness and Recreation; Early Childhood Education; Camping; and
Cultural Arts, which are central to the mission of JCC=B9s nationwide.
Membership to the JCC is open to all. The JCC is a non-profit social servic=
agency that receives funding from the Jewish Community Federation and the
United Way.

--MS_Mac_OE_3228682866_1415201_MIME_Part

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>JCC's "From Door to Door" opens May 6 at CCC East</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Times New Roman"><BR>
</FONT></FONT>
<P ALIGN=3DCENTER>
<FONT SIZE=3D"6"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial"><B>JCC's <FONT COLOR=3D"#008080"><I>From Do=
or to Door</I></FONT><I> </I>opens May 6<BR>
</B></FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Arial"><B>Presented by the Jewish Community C=
enter of Cleveland<BR>
in association with CCC Eastern Campus Theatre Arts<BR>
</B>(Park in lots D and E at CCC East 4250 Richmond Rd.)<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<FONT COLOR=3D"#008080"><FONT SIZE=3D"5"><B>Directed by Fred Sternfeld<BR>
</B></FONT></FONT><H2><BR>
</H2><FONT COLOR=3D"#008080"><FONT SIZE=3D"5"><B>with</B></FONT></FONT><FONT SI=
ZE=3D"5"><B> <FONT COLOR=3D"#008080">Barbara Haas* as Bessie<BR>
</FONT></B></FONT><H2><BR>
<FONT COLOR=3D"#008080">Jeanne Task as Mary<BR>
</FONT><BR>
<FONT COLOR=3D"#008080">Liz Conway as Deborah<BR>
</FONT><BR>
</H2><FONT SIZE=3D"5"><B>Scenic Design by Ben Needham<BR>
Lighting Design by Keith Nagy<BR>
Costume Design by Alison Garrigan<BR>
Sound Design by Richard Ingraham<BR>
Stage Managed by Darcy J. Lindner<BR>
</B></FONT><H2><BR>
</H2>Preview Thursday,May 4 at 7:30 pm<BR>
Opens Saturday, May 6 at 8:30 pm<BR>
Sundays May 7^, 14^, 21^ at 2 pm<BR>
Thursdays May 4, 11, 18* at 7:30 pm<BR>
Saturdays Mar 6, 13, 20 at 8:30 PM<BR>
</FONT>
<P>
<FONT FACE=3D"Arial"><FONT SIZE=3D"2"><B><I>*Playwright James Sherman will part=
icipate in a pre-performance discussion at 6:30 p.m. on Thursday, May 18</I>=
</B><I>, which is free to audience members attending that evening's performa=
nce.  <BR>
^The JCC is also presenting <B>post-performance discussions</B> that focus =
on generational relationships in families with area mother-daughter pairs as=
 guests and participants.  These discussions are free to Sunday matinee=
 ticket holders and will occur immediately following performances on <B>May =
7, 14 and 21.<BR>
</B></I></FONT><I><H5><BR>
</H5></I></FONT>
<P ALIGN=3DCENTER>
<FONT FACE=3D"Arial"><B>TICKETS</B> at www.Tickets.com, 800-766-6048 or any T=
ops Market<BR>
<B>Thursday, May 4 Preview:  $12<BR>
Sunday, May 14 Mother's Day</B>:  $<B>12 (limit 4 per person--use code=
 MOT when ordering)<BR>
All other performances</B>:<BR>
<B>$24 general public<BR>
$20 JCC members<BR>
$22 Seniors<BR>
$10 Students 22 & under<BR>
</B></FONT>
<P>
<FONT FACE=3D"Arial">All discounted tickets must be purchase prior to day of =
show (only full-price tickets available on day of show).<BR>
<BR>
<B>Group rates</B>:  $16 each for group of 10 or more by calling 216-5=
93-6258.<BR>
<BR>
Spanning 70 years of history, this funny, touching tribute to three generat=
ions of Jewish women reveals what binds them and what divides them, the chan=
ging roles of women and the constant power of family love.  This wonder=
fully comedic Jewish family saga derives its title from a phrase in the Hebr=
ew prayer book, <I>l'dor v'dor</I> (from generation to generation).  Ru=
ssian immigrant Bessie (<B>Barbara Haas</B>) married a man chosen for her, k=
ept her accent, cooked gefilte fish and lived in fear.  Her daughter Ma=
ry (<B>Jeanne Task</B>) is trapped between status quo and women's lib. &nbsp=
;Growing up in the times of Roosevelt, she became a wife and mother, surrend=
ering her gift for painting and any thought of a career.  Mary's daught=
er Deborah (<B>Liz Conway</B>) gets to be her own person, but must learn to =
balance living in the contemporary world and carrying on a legacy.<BR>
<BR>
Playwright <B>James Sherman</B> is the author of <I>Mr. 80%, The Escape Art=
ist, This Old Man Came Rolling Home, Jest a Second!, Romance in D, Affluenza=
!, The Old Man's Friend, Magic Time, The God of Isaac</I>, and <I>Beau Jest<=
/I>, a past hit at the Halle Theatre.  He began his professional career=
 as a writer and performer with The Second City in Chicago.  Since 1986=
 he has been a Playwright-in-Residence at the Tony Award-winning Victory Gar=
dens Theater in Chicago, where <I>Beau Jest</I> was the most successful play=
 in the theater's 27-year history.  He currently teaches playwriting an=
d improvisation at DePaul University and Columbia College of Chicago.<BR>
<BR>
Equity actor <B>Barbara Haas</B> (Bessie) returns to Cleveland where she pe=
rformed many roles while living here with husband Ken and their family in th=
e 70s and 80s.  More recently, she's worked at Philadelphia's Wilma The=
atre, Boston's American Repertory Theatre, New York City's Century Theatre, =
the 92nd Y, New Jersey's TheatreFest and more.  She's played Aida Melfi=
 on <I>The Sopranos</I> and several comic characters for <I>Law & Order:=
 Criminal Intent, Two Family House</I>, and<I> Keeping the Faith</I>.<BR>
<BR>
<FONT SIZE=3D"2">The JCC=B9s 2005-06 Arts & Culture Season is made possible=
 by generous funding from Roe Green and the Green Arts Fund of the Jewish Co=
mmunity Federation of Cleveland, the Leonard Krieger Fund of the Cleveland F=
oundation, the Meisel Family Foundation, and John and<B> </B>Bonnie Osher. &=
nbsp;The JCC gratefully acknowledges<B> the support of the Holiday Inn =AD Bea=
chwood.<BR>
</B></FONT><H5><BR>
</H5><FONT SIZE=3D"2"><B>The Jewish Community Center of Cleveland</B> builds =
and strengthens Cleveland's entire Jewish Community by providing exceptional=
 programs and services that enhance Jewish continuity and Jewish identity in=
 four key program areas: Health, Wellness and Recreation; Early Childhood Ed=
ucation; Camping; and Cultural Arts, which are central to the mission of JCC=
=B9s nationwide.  Membership to the JCC is open to all. The JCC is a non-=
profit social service agency that receives funding from the Jewish Community=
 Federation and the United Way.<BR>
<BR>
</FONT><BR>
</FONT>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--MS_Mac_OE_3228682866_1415201_MIME_Part--