[NEOPAL]An open letter re: Playhouse Square's ticket policy for "Wicked"

Lee Kamps lee921 at att.net
Sat Apr 22 10:48:32 PDT 2006

------=_NextPart_000_00A3_01C66613.73B9B540

One thing that you seem to forget with all that complaining about not being
able to get "good" tickets to Playhouse Square shows is that it costs a LOT
of money to bring those shows to Cleveland. It costs a lot of money to
produce those shows and a major source of money for events has to come from
ticket sales. The sale of subscription tickets to shows guarantees that a
certain number of tickets have already been purchased for the shows. That
base of subscription ticket buyers also tells those companies producing the
shows what kind of "base" there is in Cleveland for a company. Without that
"base", many touring productions wouldn't stop here.

Many of those that purchase subscription series also are donors whose names
are listed in the program. Without those donors ("angels") and advance
subscription sales of tickets, those shows you want to see would not be
coming to Cleveland at all. You may feel that this is "elitist", but if you
donated thousands of dollars to Playhouse Square (or the Cleveland Orchestra
or any other cultural organization) wouldn't you want to have access to the
"best seats in the house"? Actors, musicians and stage hands don't work for
free. If the arts had to depend on just those single ticket sales for
revenue without asking for donations and selling advance subscription
series, then the whole arts scene would be far less rich than it is.

We can also be fortunate that here in Cleveland, the cost to see quality
productions like "Wicked" is affordable to many people. If you were to go to
New York or Los Angeles, you would have to pay far more to see the same
production. Even so, one can very often get discount tickets the day of the
show by going to Playhouse Square and asking for them. Many times those
subscription ticket holders cannot use their tickets (which they have
already paid for) and donate them back to Playhouse Square for re-sale to
the public, often at half price.

Quit crying in your beer about sitting in poor seats high in the balcony or
on the sides. I have seen many performances from those nosebleed seats
because I wanted to see the show and that was all I could afford. Just bring
a good pair of binoculars and you can see all the expressions just like
being up close. Also those popular shows come around again for another run.
When the "Phanton of the Opera" first played here in 1993, all performances
quickly sold out. I was fortunate to get "nosebleed" seats high in the
balcony and thoroughly enjoyed the show. I saw it again in 1997 from a much
better location and I was able to walk up on the day of the show in 2000 and
get orchestra seats at half price. "Les Miserables" is currently playing
here for the umpteenth time.

If you are on a limited budget and like live shows, I highly reccomend the
local community theatres. The Cassidy theatre in Parma Heights and the Beck
Center in Lakewook put on some excellent shows, many of them also popular
Broadway productions. In addition to more reasonable costs there, you aren't
ripped off to park your car. There are also other good community theatre
productions in other parts of the area. You could see many excellent shows
all the time without ever having to come downtown.

I very often hear young people complain all the time about not being able to
get good seats for touring shows at Playhouse Square, yet have you ever
checked out the cost of a ticket to a rock concert at any of the local
venues?

Lee Kamps