[NEohioPAL]Last 3 chances to see JCC's From Door to Door

Ksenia Roshchakovsky kseniar at core.com
Mon May 15 21:08:27 PDT 2006

--MS_Mac_OE_3230582907_6937202_MIME_Part

"Remember to sing the songs of your mothers and fathers..."

ONLY 3 CHANCES TO SEE JCC'S FROM DOOR TO DOOR, DIRECTED BY FRED STERNFELD
AND FEATURING BARBARA HAAS, JEANNE TASK AND LIZ CONWAY (Thursday, May 18 at
7:30 pm.  Saturday, May 20 at 8:30 pm.  Sunday, May 21 at 2 pm.)

Final post-performance discussion Sunday, May 21 after the 2 pm matinee
featuring Evie Safran, Mindy Davidson and Jessica Davidson.

The JCC's "tastefully directed" From Door to Door [is a] "a three-generation
tale [that] has appeal for all audiences...Jewish women are the target
audience but almost everyone will relate somehow to the touching depiction
of generational overlap."  The Plain Dealer

"A sparkling production directed by Fred Sternfeld and performed by a trio
of superb actors."  Cleveland Jewish News

Tickets are $24 ($20 JCC members, $22 Seniors, $10 students 22 & under).
Tickets are available at any Tops market, by calling 800-766-6048 or going
online to http://www.Tickets.com.

Reflections on "l'dor v'dor" by Dr. Carl Hammerschlag, author, physician,
healer:
    This is the season of my birthday.  I'm sitting on my family room couch
next to my grandson, who is practicing a Hebrew blessing with me.  He and
his classmates will recite this blessing during the big Saturday morning
service.  Together, we read the words and chant the melody.
Listening to him sound out the letters and vowels, I find myself transported
to the tenement apartment in the Washington Heights section of Manhattan
where I was raised.  My father and I are sitting on the convertible couch in
the family room (which is also the living room and my bedroom), humming the
text together.  Across from me is the big upright radio that I lean against
to listen to The Lone Ranger and The Shadow.
  Looking down at my grandson as he chants the songs of my father, I can
feel the tears well in my eyes.  The most sacred obligation in my tribe is
to teach Torah to one's children.  Every day in morning prayers, Jews repeat
these words.  We will teach it diligently to our children.  We believe that
by transmitting these laws from generation to generation (l'dor v'dor in
Hebrew) we will survive as a people.
  When I came to Indian Country, I learned that Native Americans told the
same story.  They greeted the morning sun by saying, "Thank you for giving
me a tribe."  They have no book to transmit their laws?  They rely on the
spoken word.  Native Americans say that if their stories are handed down for
seven generations then their tribe will live.  At Native American ceremonial
gatherings (pow-wows, tipis, church meetings, potlatches, hogans and sweat
lodges), they begin by greeting their relatives, from the doorway in, to the
doorway out (l'dor v'dor).
We are all tribal people.  Remember to sing the songs of your mothers and
fathers, from the time you are welcomed through the door, to the time you
take the door out.  L'dor v'dor, from generation to generation . . .the
tears caress my cheeks with Happy Birthday kisses.

--MS_Mac_OE_3230582907_6937202_MIME_Part

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Last 3 chances to see JCC's From Door to Door</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<FONT COLOR=3D"#008080"><H2>"Remember to sing the songs of your mothers =
and fathers..."<BR>
</H2></FONT><FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF"><B><BR>
ONLY 3 CHANCES TO SEE JCC'S FROM DOOR TO DOOR, DIRECTED BY FRED STERNFELD A=
ND FEATURING BARBARA HAAS, JEANNE TASK AND LIZ CONWAY (Thursday, May 18 at 7=
:30 pm.  Saturday, May 20 at 8:30 pm.  Sunday, May 21 at 2 pm.)<BR=

</B></FONT><BR>
<P ALIGN=3DCENTER>
<FONT COLOR=3D"#008080"><B>Final post-performance discussion Sunday, May 21 a=
fter the 2 pm matinee featuring Evie Safran, Mindy Davidson and Jessica Davi=
dson.<BR>
</B></FONT><I><BR>
</I>
<P>
T<I>he JCC's "tastefully directed" <B>From Door to Door </B>[is a=
] "a three-generation tale [that] has appeal for all audiences...Jewish=
 women are the target audience but almost everyone will relate somehow to th=
e touching depiction of generational overlap." </I> <I>The Plain Dealer=
<BR>
<BR>
"A sparkling production directed by Fred Sternfeld and performed by a =
trio of superb actors."  Cleveland Jewish News<BR>
<BR>
</I>Tickets are $24 ($20 JCC members, $22 Seniors, $10 students 22 & un=
der).  Tickets are available at any Tops market, by calling 800-766-604=
8 or going online to <FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF"><U>http://www.Tickets.com</U></FO=
NT>.<BR>
<I><BR>
</I><B>Reflections on "l'dor v'dor" by</B> <B>Dr. Carl Hammerschl=
ag, author, physician, healer:<BR>
</B>    This is the season of my birthday.  I'm sitting=
 on my family room couch next to my grandson, who is practicing a Hebrew ble=
ssing with me.  He and his classmates will recite this blessing during =
the big Saturday morning service.  Together, we read the words and chan=
t the melody.  <BR>
Listening to him sound out the letters and vowels, I find myself transporte=
d to the tenement apartment in the Washington Heights section of Manhattan w=
here I was raised.  My father and I are sitting on the convertible couc=
h in the family room (which is also the living room and my bedroom), humming=
 the text together.  Across from me is the big upright radio that I lea=
n against to listen to The Lone Ranger and The Shadow. <BR>
   Looking down at my grandson as he chants the songs of my fathe=
r, I can feel the tears well in my eyes.  The most sacred obligation in=
 my tribe is to teach Torah to one's children.  Every day in morning pr=
ayers, Jews repeat these words.  We will teach it diligently to our chi=
ldren.  We believe that by transmitting these laws from generation to g=
eneration (l'dor v'dor in Hebrew) we will survive as a people. <BR>
   When I came to Indian Country, I learned that Native Americans=
 told the same story.  They greeted the morning sun by saying, "Th=
ank you for giving me a tribe."  They have no book to transmit the=
ir laws?  They rely on the spoken word.  Native Americans say that=
 if their stories are handed down for seven generations then their tribe wil=
l live.  At Native American ceremonial gatherings (pow-wows, tipis, chu=
rch meetings, potlatches, hogans and sweat lodges), they begin by greeting t=
heir relatives, from the doorway in, to the doorway out (l'dor v'dor). <BR>
We are all tribal people.  Remember to sing the songs of your mothers =
and fathers, from the time you are welcomed through the door, to the time yo=
u take the door out.  L'dor v'dor, from generation to generation . . .t=
he tears caress my cheeks with Happy Birthday kisses.<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--MS_Mac_OE_3230582907_6937202_MIME_Part--