[NEohioPAL]B-J Cuts

Tom Burnett TBURNETT at neo.rr.com
Wed Aug 30 09:28:07 PDT 2006

Anastasia:

In an ideal world, yes, I agree. When I see those signs at various
city boundaries, "Home of the State soccer champions" or whatever,
I'm thinking, "What about the kids with the 4.0+ averages, the
National Merit scholars, the science fair winners, the musicians, the
actors, etc.?" You never hear business owners complaining about a
shortage of trained wrestlers or football players, so why are they
celebrated and not the students who excel in other areas? In an ideal
world, Lebron James would not be getting paid as much as 200
teachers, because a good teacher is worth 200 basketball stars.

Saying that, if you publish a daily newspaper and forgo prep sports
coverage, you better be planning your next career. If your decisions
about coverage are based on what should be instead of what the
readers want, your paper won't last very long. At the same time, I do
think the PD could do far more in covering the accomplishments of the
non-athletes at our schools, without affecting its (very popular)
sports coverage.

Tom