[NEohioPAL]B-J Cuts

mike melville melville783 at adelphia.net
Wed Aug 30 09:54:36 PDT 2006

I have to look at this as a distraction of the masses. The main reason
athletics gets as much press as it does is simple economics- think about he
longest running Broadway musical. Now think about the amount of people that
saw it.Honestly tell me that they had more butts in the seats thanany single
years attendance to an Indians game.
Sports sells. That simple. To see a pro team play is expensive. But I know
that my tickets for Spamalot cost me more than my tickets to see the
Browns.Community theater is great, but it is a narrow genre. There are a lot
of farmers in the northeast Ohio area, but you don't hear them up in arms
about the lack of coverage on alpaca prices. They simply started their own
publications.
Now I do realize that marketing is an important way of getting butts in
seats, but all the reviewers in the world aren't going to get someone that
doesnt know or like theater to a show.Besides, how many shows have any of
you gone to see that was already panned by critics?
Its a tragic loss, and a blow to local performance arts, but the arts have
always been a very self sufficient little nook. I really don't see how these
cuts will effect attendance or public knowledge in the least. Its like a
smoker short on cash- you will always find a way to get waht you need...
Mike