[NEohioPAL]High culture critic expands role to theater @ ABJ

Brooke Willis bwillis at livepub.com
Thu Sep 21 08:58:16 PDT 2006

--Apple-Mail-11-158470558

High culture critic expands role to theater
Guregian will write previews, news, reviews

http://www.ohio.com/mld/ohio/entertainment/performing_arts/15570940.htm

As the fall season begins, I'll be transitioning into an expanded role
at the Beacon Journal. I'll be adding theater to the beat of classical
music and dance that I've covered for 16 years. Kerry Clawson, the
Beacon's current theater critic, will be moving to cover retail
business and shopping. As the arts and culture critic, I'll write
previews, news, reviews and other stories about classical music, dance
and theater. Dorothy Shinn, our longtime visual art critic, will
continue providing reviews.

I lived in Chicago, a great theater town, for a number of years before
moving to Akron. While I was there, I took advantage of the chance to
see productions at Steppenwolf Theatre and the Goodman Theatre. One of
my best theater memories from Chicago is of seeing Wisdom Bridge
Theater (now defunct) perform David Mamet's Speed-the-Plow, with a cast
including William Peterson. The performance venue was one of the
smallest spaces I've ever had the pleasure of sharing with people other
than my immediate family, and it was thrilling.

Monday night, I was excited to get that adventurous feeling back when I
visited The Bang and the Clatter at Summit Artspace just to take a peek
before I start officially. You know it's a start-up operation when the
director (that night, co-founder Sean Derry) is also out front,
collecting money for tickets. I knew I was onto something fun when
Derry came onstage before the show, offering free beer and popping the
bottles open for patrons. (It was Blackout Monday, a performance the
company does especially for theater people who can't get to shows on
the other nights.)

And after I laughed myself silly from the actors' rampaging humor in
Mamet's Romance, I knew I would want to return as soon as possible.

The price was cheap ($7 on Blackout Monday; $15 regular nights),
quality was high, and the atmosphere was laid-back. I'm excited that we
have this company so available downtown, and I'm looking forward to
covering a variety of theater stories, along with classical music and
dance topics, in my new role.

I'll be talking soon with many of you in the theater community, but in
the meantime, go ahead and e-mail me press releases or story ideas at
the address at the end of this column.

If you'd like your performances printed in our free weekly listing in
Enjoy magazine, send complete information -- time, date, name of the
group and the production, location with street address, ticket prices
and phone number for information -- c/o Enjoy Calendar, Akron Beacon
Journal, 44 E. Exchange St., Akron, OH 44328. The e-mail address for
calendar listings islistings at thebeaconjournal.com.

Keep in touch.

Elaine Guregian can be reached at 330-996-3574 or
eguregian at thebeaconjournal.com

--Apple-Mail-11-158470558

<bold>High culture critic expands role to theater

</bold>Guregian will write previews, news, reviews

eguregian at thebeaconjournal.com

--Apple-Mail-11-158470558--