[NEohioPAL]August Wilson's "Fences" in Akron

Jan Harcar Jharcar at weathervaneplayhouse.com
Tue Oct 3 10:37:42 PDT 2006

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C6E6F1.1A46C430

WEATHERVANE PLAYHOUSE

Terrence Spivey Leads Cast of FENCES

Landmark play by August Wilson

Terrence Spivey, Artistic Director at Karamu Performing Arts Theatre, =
leads Weathervane Playhouse's cast of volunteers who will perform August =
Wilson's landmark play, FENCES, October 11 - 29 , 2006.

A native of Texas, Spivey received his Bachelor of Arts Degree in =
Theatre at Prairie View A&M University. While a student there, the =
theatre department made history being the first black college to perform =
at the Kennedy Center during the American College Theatre Festival. He =
resided in New York for close to 20 years, where he appeared in numerous =
off-Broadway shows, music videos and independent films. His directorial =
debut was at New Jersey's Crossroads Theatre Company and he was a =
Theodore Ward Prize finalist for his play Smokestack Lighting. Since =
relocating to Cleveland, he directed the Midwest premiere of Thomas =
Gibbons' Bee-luther-hatchee to rave reviews during Karamu's 2003-2004 =
season, about which the Cleveland Plain Dealer raved, "You want to run =
down the street and twist people's arms to come see it." He opened =
Karamu's 2004-2005 season directing For Colored Girls Who Have =
Considered Suicide/When the Rainbow is Enuf. He also directed the Ohio =
premiere of Dennis McIntyre's Split Second during that season.

In the 2005-2006 season, Spivey directed the ambitious Dream on Monkey =
Mountain, about which Cleveland Scene said, "Folklore and dreamscapes =
combine to forge a performance that is, at times, engrossing and =
viscerally stimulating. Spivey and his choreographic partner, G. Carlos =
Henderson, create some soul-stirring spectacles of motion on the =
Jelliffe Theatre stage."

Last May, Spivey directed the mostly star-studded staged reading of =
Bridgette Wimberly's Saint Lucy's Eyes with legendary Rudy Dee and Bill =
Cobbs at the Cleveland Play House celebrating the 90th anniversairy of =
both Karamu and Cleveland Play House. This past summer he was theatre =
curator for the second annual Ingenuity Arts and Technology Festival in =
Cleveland.

OUR CAST:

Abdullah Bey Troy Maxson East Cleveland

Abdullah began his acting career at East Cleveland Commuity Theater and =
continued on the stages of Cleveland Play House, Cleveland Public =
Theater, the Beck Center, Dobama, Ensemble, Bratenahl, Karamu and Tri-C =
Theaters. Movie credits include Telling Lies in America with Kevin =
Bacon; Counterpoint, a made-for-TV production; Ivan's Journey, PIG and =
some commercials. He is a retired member of the United States Air Force.

Carlos (C.T.) Rush Bono Warren

C.T. portrayed numerous characters in A Christmas Carol in 2005 at =
Packard Music Hall. He also appeared as the Father in I Miss My Mama at =
the Warren Western Reserve Theater.

Layne Farr Rose Akron

Layne appeared three times in 1995 in Showtime at the Apollo Theater in =
Harlem, NY. This year she played Nicole/wife and mother in Mama, Can You =
Hear Me? at Playhouse Square Center.

Jasmine Moore Raynell Akron

Jasmine is a second grader at Essex Elementary School and was featured =
in Models Unlimited Magazine in 2002. She appeared in her first =
commercial which was for the Cleveland Zoo and has done print work for =
DSW Shoes, Value City Department Store, American Greetings, Rentway and =
Great Lakes Science Center.

J.C. Patterson Gabriel Akron

J.C. is a graduate of East High School here in Akron. He graduated from =
Ashland University with a degree in General Studies and also holds an =
associate degree in Criminal Justice and a Bechelor of Arts degree in =
social work from The University of Akron.

Raymone Scott Lyons Akron

Raymone was in Weathervane shows including Wit, Seven Guitars and God's =
Trombones. He is a youth tutor and mentor employed by the Butch Reynolds =
Foundation and the Akron Public Schools.

Christopher Henderson Cory Akron

Christopher was last seen on our stage as Borachio in Much Ado About =
Nothing last fall. He is a junior at The University of Akron where he is =
studying business management and communications. Previous appearances at =
the University include Of Mice and Men, Moon Over Buffalo and Jitney.

Backstage:

Marcus L. Bentley Assistant to the Director Akron

Marcus was the narrator for Paul, a Musical Journey when it played at =
the Hanna Theatre at Cleveland's Playhouse Square Center in 2005. He =
directed Miz Yoko is Sorry, Wolves in Sheep's Clothing, Freshly Fallen =
Snow and Prodigal Son for Arlington Church of God where he is employed.

Jerry Dorton Stage Manager Stow

Jerry Mirman, Jr. Lighting Designer Copley

Jennifer Klika Properties Designer Cuyahoga Falls

Mary Miller-Sobah Costume Designer Akron

Casey Jones Sound Designer Cleveland

Alan Scott Ferrall Scenic Designer/Technical Director Cuyahoga Falls

Kathy Kohl Assistant Technical Director Akron

August Wilson's "landmark play, FENCES." See it at Weathervane Playhouse =
October 11 - 29, 2006. Low-cost preview performances on Wednesday and =
Thursday, October 11 & 12 at 7:30 p.m. with official opening on Friday, =
October 13 at 8:00 p.m. A complete performance schedule is posted online =
at weathervaneplayhouse.com. Charge by phone at Weathervane's Ticket =
Office at 330-836-2626. Call between 10 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. Tuesday =
through Friday. Tickets: $20 (Other Tickets: Wed. & Thurs previews $14, =
Children 17 or younger $16, College Students and Senior Citizens $18 on =
Thursdays and Sundays. Half-price student rush tickets may be purchased =
at the door 30 minutes before show timewith ID pending availability). =
FENCES is a Project STAGE production. Student and teacher study guides =
are avaialbe as well as 10:00 a.m. performances October 17 and 24. The =
performance on Sunday, October 22 will be audio described for visually =
impaired consumers.

The play is recommended for general audiences.

The Ohio Arts Council helped fund this program with state tax dollars to =
encourage economic growth,

education excellence and cultural enrichment for all Ohioans.

Additional Season Sponsors: WKSU, WCLV, The Goodyear Tire & Rubber =
Company

www.weathervaneplayhouse.com

***30***

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C6E6F1.1A46C430

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><B><FONT face=3DHelvetica size=3D4>
<P align=3Dcenter>WEATHERVANE PLAYHOUSE</P></FONT><FONT =
face=3DHelvetica>
<P align=3Dcenter>Terrence Spivey Leads Cast of </FONT><I><FONT =
face=3DHelvetica=20
size=3D4>FENCES</P></B></I>
<P align=3Dcenter>Landmark play by August Wilson</P></FONT><FONT =
face=3DHelvetica=20
size=3D2>
<P><B>Terrence Spivey</B>, Artistic Director at Karamu Performing Arts =
Theatre,=20
leads Weathervane Playhouse=92s cast of volunteers who will perform =
August=20
Wilson=92s landmark play, <B><I>FENCES</B></I>, October 11 =96 29 , =
2006.</P>
<P>A native of Texas, Spivey received his Bachelor of Arts Degree in =
Theatre at=20
Prairie View A&M University. While a student there, the theatre =
department=20
made history being the first black college to perform at the Kennedy =
Center=20
during the American College Theatre Festival. He resided in New York for =
close=20
to 20 years, where he appeared in numerous off-Broadway shows, music =
videos and=20
independent films. His directorial debut was at New Jersey=92s =
Crossroads Theatre=20
Company and he was a Theodore Ward Prize finalist for his play =
<I>Smokestack=20
Lighting.</I> Since relocating to Cleveland, he directed the Midwest =
premiere of=20
Thomas Gibbons=92 <I>Bee-luther-hatchee</I> to rave reviews during =
Karamu=92s=20
2003-2004 season, about which the Cleveland <U>Plain Dealer</U> raved, =
"You want=20
to run down the street and twist people=92s arms to come see it." He =
opened=20
Karamu=92s 2004-2005 season directing <I>For Colored Girls Who Have =
Considered=20
Suicide/When the Rainbow is Enuf. </I>He also directed the Ohio premiere =
of=20
Dennis McIntyre=92s <I>Split Second</I> during that season.</P>
<P>In the 2005-2006 season, Spivey directed the ambitious <I>Dream on =
Monkey=20
Mountain,</I> about which <U>Cleveland Scene</U> said, "Folklore and =
dreamscapes=20
combine to forge a performance that is, at times, engrossing and =
viscerally=20
stimulating. Spivey and his choreographic partner, G. Carlos Henderson, =
create=20
some soul-stirring spectacles of motion on the Jelliffe Theatre =
stage."</P>
<P>Last May, Spivey directed the mostly star-studded staged reading of =
Bridgette=20
Wimberly=92s <I>Saint Lucy=92s Eyes</I> with legendary Rudy Dee and Bill =
Cobbs at=20
the Cleveland Play House celebrating the 90<SUP>th</SUP> anniversairy of =
both=20
Karamu and Cleveland Play House. This past summer </FONT><FONT =
face=3DHelvetica=20
size=3D2>he was theatre curator for the second annual Ingenuity Arts and =

Technology Festival in Cleveland.</P><B>
<P>OUR CAST:</P></B><B>
<P>Abdullah Bey</B> Troy Maxson East Cleveland</P>
<P>Abdullah began his acting career at East Cleveland Commuity Theater =
and=20
continued on the stages of Cleveland Play House, Cleveland Public =
Theater, the=20
Beck Center, Dobama, Ensemble, Bratenahl, Karamu and Tri-C Theaters. =
Movie=20
credits include <I>Telling Lies in America</I> with Kevin Bacon;=20
<I>Counterpoint,</I> a made-for-TV production; <I>Ivan=92s Journey, PIG =
</I>and=20
some commercials. He is a retired member of the United States Air=20
Force.</P></FONT><FONT face=3DHelvetica size=3D1></FONT><B><FONT =
face=3DHelvetica=20
size=3D2>
<P>Carlos (C.T.) Rush</B> Bono Warren</P>
<P>C.T. portrayed<I> </I>numerous characters in <I>A Christmas Carol</I> =
in 2005=20
at Packard Music Hall. He also appeared as the Father in <I>I Miss My =
Mama</I>=20
at the Warren Western Reserve Theater.</P><B>
<P>Layne Farr</B> Rose Akron</P>
<P>Layne appeared three times in 1995 in <I>Showtime</I> at the Apollo =
Theater=20
in Harlem, NY. This year she played Nicole/wife and mother in <I>Mama, =
Can You=20
Hear Me?</I> at Playhouse Square Center.</P><B>
<P>Jasmine Moore</B> Raynell Akron</P>
<P>Jasmine is a second grader at Essex Elementary School and was =
featured in=20
<U>Models Unlimited Magazine</U> in 2002. She appeared in her first =
commercial=20
which was for the Cleveland Zoo and has done print work for DSW Shoes, =
Value=20
City Department Store, American Greetings, Rentway and Great Lakes =
Science=20
Center.</P><B>
<P>J.C. Patterson</B> Gabriel Akron</P>
<P>J.C. is a graduate of East High School here in Akron. He graduated =
from=20
Ashland University with a degree in General Studies and also holds an =
associate=20
degree in Criminal Justice and a Bechelor of Arts degree in social work =
from The=20
University of Akron.</P><B>
<P>Raymone Scott</B> Lyons Akron</P>
<P>Raymone was in Weathervane shows including <I>Wit, Seven Guitars</I> =
and=20
<I>God=92s Trombones.</I> He is a youth tutor and mentor employed by the =
Butch=20
Reynolds Foundation and the Akron Public Schools.</P><B>
<P>Christopher Henderson</B> Cory Akron</P>
<P>Christopher was last seen on our stage as Borachio in <I>Much Ado =
About=20
Nothing</I> last fall. He is a junior at The University of Akron where =
he is=20
studying business management and communications. Previous appearances at =
the=20
University include <I>Of Mice and Men, Moon Over Buffalo</I> and=20
<I>Jitney.</P></I>
<P>Backstage:</P><B>
<P>Marcus L. Bentley</B> Assistant to the Director Akron</P>
<P>Marcus was the narrator for <I>Paul, a Musical Journey</I> when it =
played at=20
the Hanna Theatre at Cleveland=92s Playhouse Square Center in 2005. He =
directed=20
<I>Miz Yoko is Sorry, Wolves in Sheep=92s Clothing, Freshly Fallen =
Snow</I> and=20
<I>Prodigal Son</I> for Arlington Church of God where he is=20
employed.</P></FONT><FONT face=3DHelvetica size=3D2>
<P>Jerry Dorton Stage Manager Stow</P>
<P>Jerry Mirman, Jr. Lighting Designer Copley</P>
<P>Jennifer Klika Properties Designer Cuyahoga Falls</P>
<P>Mary Miller-Sobah Costume Designer Akron</P>
<P>Casey Jones Sound Designer Cleveland</P>
<P>Alan Scott Ferrall Scenic Designer/Technical Director Cuyahoga =
Falls</P>
<P>Kathy Kohl Assistant Technical Director Akron</P>
<P> </P><B><I>
<P>August Wilson=92s "landmark play, FENCES."</B></I> See it at =
Weathervane=20
Playhouse <B>October 11 - 29, 2006</B>. Low-cost preview performances on =

<B>Wednesday and Thursday, October 11 & 12 at <U>7:30 p.m.</B></U> =
with=20
official opening on <B>Friday, October 13 at 8:00 p.m.</B> A complete=20
performance schedule is posted online at weathervaneplayhouse.com. =
Charge by=20
phone at Weathervane=92s Ticket Office at <B>330-836-2626</B>. =
<B><I>Call between=20
10 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. Tuesday through Friday. </B>Tickets: $20 =
</I>(Other=20
Tickets: Wed. & Thurs previews $14, Children 17 or younger $16, =
College=20
Students and Senior Citizens $18 on Thursdays and Sundays. Half-price =
student=20
rush tickets may be purchased at the door 30 minutes before show =
timewith ID=20
pending availability<I>). <B>FENCES</B></I> is a Project STAGE =
production.=20
Student and teacher study guides are avaialbe as well as 10:00 a.m. =
performances=20
October 17 and 24. The performance on Sunday, October 22 will be audio =
described=20
for visually impaired consumers.</P><B>
<P align=3Dcenter>The play is recommended for general=20
audiences.</P></B></FONT><FONT face=3DHelvetica size=3D1>
<P align=3Dcenter></P>
<P align=3Dcenter>The Ohio Arts Council helped fund this program with =
state tax=20
dollars to encourage economic growth,</P>
<P align=3Dcenter>education excellence and cultural enrichment for all=20
Ohioans.</P>
<P align=3Dcenter>Additional Season Sponsors: WKSU, WCLV, The Goodyear =
Tire &=20
Rubber Company</P></FONT><FONT face=3DTimes>
<P align=3Dcenter></FONT><A =
href=3D"http://www.weathervaneplayhouse.com/"><FONT=20
face=3DTimes>www.weathervaneplayhouse.com</FONT></A></P><I><FONT =
face=3DHelvetica=20
size=3D1>
<P align=3Dcenter></P></I></FONT><FONT face=3DHelvetica size=3D2>
<P align=3Dcenter>***30***</P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial></FONT> </P></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C6E6F1.1A46C430--